348 TS not driven for 3 weeks...battery dead | FerrariChat

348 TS not driven for 3 weeks...battery dead

Discussion in '348/355' started by JoeRad, Jul 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JoeRad

JoeRad Karting

Sep 23, 2008
    Melbourne, FL
    Full Name:
    Joe Radosky
    Hi Everyone,

I usually drive my car on Sundays....yes, a true Sunday driver.
    I have not had the chance to drive it for three weeks....I go to start and only dashboard lights...slight cranking...then only a click.

I had a new alternator, new battery, new starter put on this car within in last 4 months.
    Any idea on what drains the battery?

(no lights were left on)

2. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I also drive my car now very intermittently (due to extended travel away from home). I keep the car constantly plugged into a battery maintainer (battery charger). Have never had the battery go dead on me. Recommend you do the same.

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#3 Ricambi America, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Make sure the doors are closed tight. Those jamb-marker lights can sometimes stay illuminated if the door isn't securely shut.

My 348ts suffered a similar fate a few weeks ago. I normally use a battery tender all the time, but I was in a hurry back in early June getting ready for a beach trip, and neither shut the door tight nor plugged in the tender. Whoops!

.... but she's running great now. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I keep reading about Ferrari owners who have their batteries go dead constantly unless they have tenders plugged in, and I can't understand why you put up with that. It shouldn't happen that way! On my own 348, the battery is now more than 8 years old (an "off the shelf" Costco battery), and the engine cranks over just fine even if I don't start it for a month. It seems obvious to me that a lot of you have current draws that are killing your batteries, and it ISN'T from the clock or from the memory circuit in your radios.

Joe, is it possible that you left the key in the ignition switch? The ONE time I had my battery go dead on me, I had left the key in the switch. Not sure which circuit was energized while the car was sitting, but that apparently was the cause.

5. markgllc

markgllc Karting

Dec 25, 2008
    Fairborn, OH
    That dog sure looks like it's enjoying the ride in the 348!! I have a great dane and she loves car rides...not too sure she'll be tooling around with me in the 348 though LOL. Even with the targa off not sure she'd fit much less what her nails could do to the leather. She'll have to be content riding in the subaru but she has riden in my Alfa...and had the same look of contentment as your dog ;-) She seems to like sports cars better than econo boxes as after the Alfa ride she goes to tha car first now. She bearly fit in the Alfa and people made comments that the dog was bigger than what we were driving. The Alfa had a back seat and she had her head out one side...and her tail hanging out the other...OK it did look funny...but I didn't get a pic unfortunately.

I know we have a babes in cars topic...but no dogs in cars...OK well...some were, but I mean the 4 legged kind. I'm sure there's lot's of Fcar dogs out there. I love seeing babes in cars but maybe there are some good pics of pets cruisin' too.

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

7. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    +1
    Occasionally, I let my 348 sit (when I was the owner) for as long as three months with a regular old battery and no tender, and it started up every time, no problems!
    The problems you are having should not exist.
    I think the aftermarket alarms and radios are the culprit here.
    :)
    BT

8. 50hdmc

50hdmc Formula 3

Oct 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    mark s
    great dane and mastiff mix.......all 200lbs of him....he ain't riding in my car.

9. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    +2...although i do have a trickle charger, which i use only in the winter when it is stored for 5 or 6 months, i have yet to experience a dead battery from lack of driving.

10. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    Eight years - wow, that's a great effort for battery life in any vehicle. I use a battery tender 24/7 on my 348's battery and it hasn't let me down thusfar over 4 years (touch wood).

11. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    What he said!! :D:D

12. JoeRad

JoeRad Karting

Sep 23, 2008
    Melbourne, FL
    Full Name:
    Joe Radosky
    Thanks for the replies.
    I will try the battery tender...but the best fix is to drive it weekly.

Something must be draining it.
    I did discover the door light...inside had been on...but had that addressed when had electrical system worked on.

It had been doing fine....I also had trouble starting it at one of our events...so something must be draining the system.
    I will investigate and let others know what I find.

Thanks again for the replies.

13. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    What about turning the knob that turns off everything in the car, thats why i do when i let her sit

14. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    +1 I use to go through a battery every year or so until I started doing as you have suggested.

15. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    where is this knob located? this is the first i've heard of this knob.

16. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #16 bushwhacker, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
    I had the same problem until we figured out it was the stereo that was drawing the battery down....it was wired incorrectly and drawing current even when turned off.
    Also check your alarm system.
    As mentioned many times before a battery tender is the way to go.

17. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    Also make sure the passive belts are working properly, if one or both don't, the relay keeps energized waiting for the motor to move and that will help draining the battery.

18. JoeRad

JoeRad Karting

Sep 23, 2008
    Melbourne, FL
    Full Name:
    Joe Radosky
    aahh....suspect the passive belts as one problem
    I will need to do a full check.

Tell me about this "master" knob.
    where is it?

19. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I believe the battery shut-off switch comes only on 348's with the battery mounted in front. Of course, they can be installed on any car pretty easily.

If you disconnect the battery, you have to reprogram the clock and the radio every time you do it, and wouldn't you have to re-initialize the Motronic ECU's every time you did it?

20. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    I agree wholeheartedly with waht Miltonian has said. The battery is in the front of my 1993 tb and tghe cut-off switch is located above the battery in the wheel well ( I think it has a circular head).

21. pistole

pistole Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Malaysia
    - you can check for battery drain vide an ammeter wired in-line.

- should be in the mah range , and small at that.

22. JoeRad

JoeRad Karting

Sep 23, 2008
    Melbourne, FL
    Full Name:
    Joe Radosky
    I have a 1992 TS and the battery is in the engine compartment (rear).
    I do see that the clock is flashing and the air is flashing....so some kind of drain from that equipment is happening.

I jumped the car....started fine...and ran fine.
    Some how the clock is draining my ride.

Is there a clock fuse?
    If so...I will pull until I can get a techncian to look it over.

Anyone else experience a flashing clock....draining on the battery?

Guess I really need to drive her each week or she lets me know it.

23. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Joe, the flashing clock and the flashing A/C readout mean that the power supply to them has been interrupted, by one of the following:

1) Battery being disconnected or totally discharged.
    2) Gang plug on back of the control unit being unplugged.
    3) Fuse being disconnected.

In your case, it's most likely #1, since the readout wouldn't be illuminated at all if the control unit or the fuse were still unplugged. If your battery is now fully charged, all you should need to do is unplug the connector on the back of the climate control ECU, then plug it back in again, then reset the clock according to the instructions in the owners handbook. It's very easy to gain access to the back of the ECU, we can walk you through it if you need help. Two minute job.

The same fuse and the same plug provide power to both the clock and the A/C circuit, it's the famous "hidden" fuse in the right rear corner of the front trunk, under the lining. I really doubt that it's the source of your power draw.