Check engine light revisited - its the refueling. Solutions? | FerrariChat

Check engine light revisited - its the refueling. Solutions?

Discussion in '360/430' started by mwct, Jul 3, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mwct

mwct Karting

Oct 17, 2008
    So I have determined it is to do with refueling. The light is on after I fill up the gas tank. At least thats after 2 rounds of testing, i.e. twice I filled up the tank and twice the CEL came on right after. I am going to get an OBDII reader later on to confirm this, but just assuming it is the refueling that's causing the problem, what are the solutions?

2. mwct

mwct Karting

Oct 17, 2008
    #2 mwct, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
    Ok so I went to Autozone, and they tried to use their OBDII scanners. It wouldn't read the Ferrari computer. Does the 360 require a special OBDII scanner? Where can I get one?

Also, since its the 4th July weekend and all the dealers are closed, I won't be able to bring it in to a Ferrari mechanic until Monday at the earliest. Would it be same to continue driving my car while the CEL is on?

Edit: remembered the advice about Campaign 148, so I guess I need to get that done at the dealer before bothering with the scanner.

3. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    #3 netman, Jul 4, 2009
    Attached are the Factory bulletin directions for campaign 148 as I believe this is something you might be able to do yourself as it is nothing more than adding a wire within the interface junction block where the ODB scanner connects to the vehicle. If I understand it right, Ferrari left the ground wire pin out of the connector so that DIYers would not be able to interface with the vehicles intelligence. The EPA mandated that this be allowed for smog checks and such. The factory bulletin show which pin to jump and from which position.

Once you have completed this you should be able to interface with the vehicles intellegence. I have a friend who did his in a temporary fashion until he could have the dealer do it " on the record" so to say s owhy he goes to sell the car he had a record of the dealer completing the campaign.

4. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    #4 netman, Jul 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Are you fueling with the engine running?

that's a serious no-no with these, and will cause the light to come on and to pop a code.

If not, are you properly seating the cap? Snugged up nice and tight? That'll do it too.

Good luck, happy hunting.

D

6. mwct

mwct Karting

Oct 17, 2008
    #6 mwct, Jul 4, 2009
    Oh no definitely not refueling with the engine running I never do that. And yes I have double checked the cap. In fact the light has remained on all day and its really bugging me. I am going to bring it in the to Ferrari mechanic first thing Monday if possible (assuming he has an opening), and if he can't fix it then unfortunately to the dealer about 1.5 hrs away from my house.

I'm hoping its nothing major. I've only had the car about 3 weeks and the dealer (Scottsdale Ferrari) told me they just did a major service on the car. However they also forgot to do emissions testing on the car (I had to do it myself, thankfully before the CEL came on) so I can see they do occassionally screw up.

7. mwct

mwct Karting

Oct 17, 2008
    Here's an update, now that both the dealer and local mechanic are open after the weekend.

So after a whole weekend of the CEL being on, what do you know it turned itself off today just as I was going to bring it to the local mechanic (who btw has worked on Ferraris for 40yrs, he's the local go-to guy before bringing it to the dealer 150 miles away).

So I was told by the mechanic that it was probably futile to do a scan now (he would charge me for it) since running the engine with the CEL light off has a decent chance of clearing the memory. He said the best bet was for me to bring it back to him when the light comes on again.

Now as for the dealer, I also called them today. I was already kinda unhappy with the fact that they did not do an emissions test on the vehicle (they should have and legally are supposed to). Since the emissions test passed I was willing to let it go. However I am hoping that they will fix whatever is wrong with the car whenever I find out what is wrong in the first place.

An interesting fact though is that the service dept. says the did Campaign 148 on the car already. So that means that it should work with any OBDII scanner but for whatever reason the Autozone guys were unable to read the computer (it gave an ERROR message). Do they need an upgrade to be able to read Ferrari codes?

8. AmoCS

AmoCS Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Amo
    does this campaign relate to US cars only, or do all CS's come without the earth wire connected?