Scud from the factory, the paint is terrible. | FerrariChat

Scud from the factory, the paint is terrible.

Discussion in '360/430' started by Todd Helme, Jul 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Todd Helme

Todd Helme Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme
    #1 Todd Helme, Jul 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Usually when cars have swirl marks, scratches, ect, we blame it on the dealership. DISO, Dealer Installed Swirl Option. However this SCUD was not touched in any way, shape, or form since leaving the gates in Italy. This is how Ferrari delivers the cars to the dealership, and IMO, it is very sad...

You would think with all the high tech building, the clean rooms, the attention to precision and detail, that they would understand how to finish or refinish the cars before shipping...

In the second picture you can clearly see D/A (dual action) sanding marks and pig tails, from the factory. I have no idea how this escapes QC, but come on. I mean I had to wet sand 4 areas on a brand new car (from the factory) to make it presentable...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Todd,since you touched on the dual action machines,what's your
    opinion on them. I would think it's better than just an orbital
    because you get more cutting with no swirls. I no longer have
    my Ferrari,but work on my daily cars myself.I was going to by a
    german model calles Flex,or the porter cable d/a. Right now I have
    an orbital by Gem industries. Thanks for the tips and your
    work is amazing.

3. deepsea

deepsea Rookie

Apr 8, 2007
    Baltimore
    the cars are inspected + touched up at the port processor in newrk. you would be amazed at the amount of paint work they do. Most of the maseratis were having complete paint jobs done.

don't doubt the factory job is sub standard, but the port processor hand their hands on the unit as well unless it was flown straight to the dealer.

4. tiger 6

tiger 6 Karting

Aug 7, 2004
    virginia
    Full Name:
    Stephen C Darrah
    Todd, it is not just a problem with the Scuds. Orange peel, overspray, holograms etc etc are all too frequent defects with Ferrari's paint quality. It is incredible to me that a car which costs greater than $250,000 comes with a $.10 paint job.

5. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA
    #5 RobD, Jul 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
    Even more surprising when, if you've seen 'Ultimate Factories - Ferrari', the factory looks so advanced and the effort that goes into building the cars seems quite high. Though, as previously mentioned, I'm sure the port contributes its fair share. Either way, a new car with marring like that is ridiculous.

P.S. - show some 'after' photos if you have them TIA

6. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Todd,
    I'm learning about the paint quality. I did my first correction (well, sort of...there were some things that I elected NOT to correct to save clear) on my 2001 360.
    Paint thicknesses are all over the place on the car, from a high of 250 microns on the back fenders and engine cover to 130 microns on some parts of the doors. There were significant variations even within the same panels...and notable was a significant amount of clear coat pitting and a few areas of overspray that needed wetsanding, in addition to a number of "things" stuck in the paint from the factory. I know Brian has said that in 2001 the cars were still being hand-painted, which may explain my situation, but not the situation with the scud!

Regards,
    Pete

7. Dean Lewis

Dean Lewis Formula Junior

May 16, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dean Lewis
    That's shocking, I think I have the same problem with a 300C one of my family members owns

8. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wow, you could have labeled those photos "barn find".

9. ferrariKP

ferrariKP F1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2004
    BKK/ LOS
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Cant believe my eye this kinda problem on premium product like Ferrari...

Hope you could sort thing out soon.

10. Hiper

Hiper Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2007
    Home
    #10 Hiper, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
    This is not the first time I've heard of such nightmares leaving the Ferrari factory.

The Japanese should give them a lesson in quality control. They build 1000x more cars a year, yet have very strict QC measures. They'd never allow a car with swirl marks and a $0.10 paint job leave the factory.

11. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Wouldn't be too sure about them either.
    This year, since I noticed and started paying attention, I've seen new Hondas, Fords, Mercedes, Toyotas and BMWs with extensive orange peel, micro-craters, swirl marks etc. The norm now seems to be new cars shipping with paint jobs that'd earn a panel-beater/spray painter apprentice a failing grade in my day.
    Its as if they know no better or have no respect for their customers and the cars themselves.
    Simply astonishing.

There are some brands still doing paint well.

12. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That is sad yet totallay unacceptable. I cannot believe Ferrari would allow that to happen.

13. HREU

HREU Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Florida and Turin
    Full Name:
    Ed Colburn
    New MBs...same thing. On the wifes new SL (blk) found numerous paint defects...crap in the paint etc.

For what its worth, most paint defects are easily fixed without respray. Very (very) mild wet sanding followed by polishing..etc. Back in college I did this for a living (detailed cars). Its a crap load of work but not that big of a deal.

14. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Orange peel is how you tell the paint is original. You're still paying for the motor, everything else is thrown in for free. Been like that since the beginning...

15. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    My recollection is there are several other very similar threads about Scud paint

16. Todd Helme

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme
    In most cases I would say that even domestic car companies (GM/FORD/CHRYSLER) tend to have a higher quality finish (not necessarily paint quality). However here is a detail I did on one of the first Nissan GT-Rs delivered to the states.
    http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=229

It was the same type of thing, just in terrible terrible shape.

17. Todd Helme

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme
    FWIW, I typically find varations on almost all newer Ferraris (from the 348 up to the 430's). Most of the time the paint will average 4-5 mils (about 100-127 microns), sometimes it will be as much as 7-8 mils (170-200 microns), such as on the edges of the trunk cover or the rear fenders. I do not believe the 2001 Ferrari's where hand painted, but I could be wrong, I'm not sure. I know on the hand built cars such as a 512BBi, the paint is all over the place, randomly, with in the same panel. I have seen as little as 2 mils to as much as 8, it really is crazy.

Typically most of the Ferraris will pit fairly quickly on the front of the car where they are sand blasted at normal speeds.

18. Todd Helme

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme
    Thank you for the compliments.

I have three Flex Polishers, including the dual-action/forced rotation 3401VRG you are referring to. You can still get swirls from the machine (depending on technique/pad selection/polish) but they do it make it easier to get the paint swirl free (as well as the jagged motion of a DA).

The Flex has forced rotation (the pad spins at 1/20th oribt speed) where as the Porter Cable using a free wheeling pad (that spins from the momentum generated from teh orbits) so the Flex tends to generate more working potential. Either would be a step up from the GEM.

19. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ferrari made a big deal out of the new paint facility they built I think in 03 or 04. Yet the paint on my 05 430 is not very good. I found a number defects that would never have gotten out of Honda or others. And it chips very, very easily. In contrast, my 2007 Toyota 4runner and Tundra have great paint. Everytime I wash them I'm struck by its durability and rich color.

Dave

20. StephenB

StephenB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2007
    S Florida
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bruno
    #20 StephenB, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Todd forgot to include the after pictures...the car looks awsome now!

21. Todd Helme

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme
    I didn't forget, just didn't want to post pictures of your baby before you did:)

22. parothed97

parothed97 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Toronto
    Great work!

23. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    So did your dealer take car of this? i would have waited to write the check. or just said no thanks on that paint job. that's too bad

24. Hiper

Hiper Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2007
    Home
    That detailing job you did is incredible. Great job!

25. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2005
    Clifton, NJ
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    saw a huge run on the door of a California the other day. I was shocked.