Considering a 2009 Quattroporte... not the S >>> | FerrariChat

Considering a 2009 Quattroporte... not the S >>>

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by ThreeSixty, Jun 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ThreeSixty

ThreeSixty Karting

May 4, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    George G
    I don't know much about Maserati ownership, but I definitely would like to deviate away from the Mercedes and BMWs... been there, done that :)

Having said that, I would appreciate any input/suggestions regarding the Quattroporte. What should I be looking at? How's the reliability and its performance. I'm also considering the Panamera. In other words, I'm looking for a sporty 4-door... again, other than the S-Class and/or the 7-Series.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance :)

2. ThreeSixty

ThreeSixty Karting

May 4, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    George G
    I'm surprised that no one has chimed in yet :-(

It's not a trick question... just want some input, especially from those who have experience behind it :)

Thanks again!

3. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I bought a 07 QP for the wife, and other than the fact that the trunk was too small (she ended up getting another 7 series), I though the car was a lot of fun to drive and we had no problem with it. She now has a Gran Turismo (to go with the 7 series), which is even nicer to drive than the QP. I would not have anything but positive things to say about either car. Good luck.

4. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    I have an 09 QP not the S. 1,000 miles so far. No real issues. The dealership has been good to deal with and I have been happy with the car. People turn around and look at the car admiringly. No one ever noticed my MB as they were a dime a dozen regardless of the model.

Gas mileage is poor but it also depends on how you drive it. If you are not lead footed it is not bad. I bought the 09 because of the improved navigation. Works great.

5. tuonoR

tuonoR Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2006
    Looked at a QP as a dd for the wife. Took out a 07 Executive GT version (auto) for a weekend and decided against it. Bought her a E63 instead. Issues were:

i) I'll second that the trunk is tiny. If you have little kids and need to put a stroller back there that is not of the tiny umbrella variety, there will be essentially no room left afterwards. I didn't try it but I'd think you might even have trouble getting more than 1 set of golf clubs back there unless the trunk was completely empty

ii) handling was good, but ride quality was way floatier than I expected. In retrospect I should have tried out the new GT-S, but the car I drove had alot more body roll than I would have expected. To me, it felt more like an S-class than a true sports sedan (ie 5-series, etc.). The caveat is that while I didn't like the ride, it did corner well -- I took it on some canyon roads and grip is good and the car rotates nicely.

iii) nav / radio controls are relatively quirky. I look past this stuff for the weekend cars (easier to brush off quirkiness as character and seldom listen to the radio in the F-cars anyway), but much harder to deal with for a driver

Positives? distinctly italian exterior proportions (don't think there is a car in this class that is close in terms of elegant design) and the exhaust note (I have renntech headers / pipes on the E63 and still prefer the QP's sound). Also the leather smells / feels like it is out of a Ferrari.

My understanding in terms of reliability is that getting the auto tranny makes a big difference, as the duoselect clutch needs to be replaced every 15-20k miles and the F-1 pump (at least on the early cars) is prone to failure

6. Blue4reF1

Blue4reF1 Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Plantation, FL
    Full Name:
    Blake Simon
    IMO, You have to be into the whole Maserati thing. I love my fathers and have driven it numerous times. My mom has a SL55 and I wish Maserati would have put more torque in the Maserati QP. But nonetheless, it's an awesome DD...no problems..

7. ThreeSixty

ThreeSixty Karting

May 4, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    George G
    Thanks for the input everyone! I test drove one, and other than the fact that it's a Maserati, I truly (I feel flames coming) didn't think there was anything special about it that would set it apart from the S-class and the 7-series. In fact, I remember my '03 745i to have a sportier feel than the QP.

Having said that, I still like the way it drives. I'm not sure if my expectations were just set a tad higher than the experience itself. Fortunately, I'm not in a hurry to make a decision, and the QP is still on my short list of choices :)

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Anybody with any experience with the GTS?

9. stevenbmaserati

stevenbmaserati Karting
    BANNED

Jun 15, 2007
    Claremont
    Full Name:
    Steven B.
    George,

I drove one too. Nothing too raw or exceptional about it to make me say 'yes, I'm definitely in Maserati'.
    Felt more like a Rolls Royce.
    But, the styling has me hooked. Very sexy.

10. ferr911

ferr911 Karting

Jul 13, 2008
    Planes and hotels :(
    Full Name:
    Wong
    My wife was thinking of replacing our 7. We went to test drive the new Maserati Q Sport GT S recently with the family. These are my observations:

a. Very nice Alcantara interior esp the sports steering wheel - good show of intent of car
    b. Turn on ignition - immediately greeted by a low and nice growl
    c. Having read so much about the great noise of the GTS, I couldn't help but press "Sports" button immediately. Wow, fantasssssstic exhaust note - very very intriguing and louder growl - car noise character changes
    d. Step on the throttle, the exhaust note gets real sexily loud but very very nice music
    e. On the road - Sharp and agile handling. It's sharp cornering makes my 7 feels cumbersome and lazy
    f. Very responsive gear change via gear flappy paddles - makes you play with them continuously throughout test
    g. Gear change "cluck" sound and engine note almost similar in effect to F430 gear change - Super!
    h. Fast uninterupted acceleration all the way to the redline (accompanied by super exhaust note all the way)
    i. Makes you forget you are in a heavy and big four door saloon
    j. Very big grin never left my face during the entire test hour test drive
    k. My kids (9 and 10 yrs old) sitting in the rear felt exhaust note during "sports mode" was noisy and intrusive
    l. My wife took over 2nd part of test and switched off "sports mode" for normal and more "civilised" cruising
    m. I sat at the rear and very impressed with the ride and much lower exhaust note
    n. The leg room though adequate at the rear is nowhere compared to the rear of a long wheelbase 7 series or S class - more similar to the short wheelbase versions though
    o. Does not come across as luxurious as a typical german luxury sedan, with less "bells and "whistles" - having said that, fit and finish are good - full leather interior with alcantara very nice to spend time
    p. Definitely great road presence

Conclusion -
    A great dd to cater for different mood and desires. Great for aggressive fast driving at the same time providing comfy cruising if desired. Definitely a Luxury sports sedan for the keen driver. Most importantly, my wife loves it too

Hope this is useful

11. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I love the looks and style of the Qport.
    Was looking at used ones however.
    All I can say is look at the overall cost of getting one of these.
    An 05 I was looking at MSRP'd at $139k. With 40k miles they want $40k.
    Fuel burn, even on the 09's is rated at 14 mpg overall.
    05's had 12/15. :( I guess if you have to ask....
    If not for the MPG I would have jumped on it. Beautiful car.
    For those that can withstand the costs; Hats off.

12. dabrownsmd

dabrownsmd Rookie

Jun 21, 2008
    10 months ago I purchased an 07 sport Gt Auto. I wanted the automatic ZF transmission because of the nightmarish stories I heard about the Duoselect. Also driving the Duoselect in Atlanta traffic would be a pain. My review is pretty positive. Number one, unless money is no object, purchasing these cars new off of the showroom floor is not a practical decision. All cars depreciate but the degree of depreciation is staggering with a QP. I got my car with 3500 miles for 45k below MSRP! The car's design is just magnificent and I am always parked in front by the valet. It often gets looks of admiration and congratulatory comments. The big downside is the electronics. The nav is awful and the stereo controls are quirky to say the least. However if you are looking for a DD with style that will have people rolling down their windows at stoplights to get a better look, there simply is not a better car. The 07s still should be a good bargain relatively speaking and in this market, the 08 should also.
    my 2 cents worth

13. s420merc

s420merc Rookie

Dec 7, 2003
    Can anyone chime in on Maintenance cost is it the same as a MB or a BMW or more i have a chance to get a 08 Grand Turismo with 2600 miles on it with an extended warranty but just wondering is service Ferrari priced or not.