Would you race a vintage competition FCar? | FerrariChat

Would you race a vintage competition FCar?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by zjpj, Feb 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Would you race a vintage FCar

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    If you had a 250 SWB competition, 275 GTBC, 250 GTO, etc., would you race it, or would you just keep if for the road or non-competition track days?

Do you think it's worth it to buy one if you AREN'T going to race it in a Historic series?

2. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
  3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Cars can be fixed ... and the 275GTB/C that I assume Horsefly will be fixed.

In the end the driving experience is why I buy cars ... why else?

Pete

4. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    So, how about if you aren't going to race? Would you put up the extra cash for a Competition model over, say, a standard 250 SWB or 275 GTB? If so, would it be more for collectibility or more because they drive that much better?

5. sduke

sduke Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2003
    The Hub City, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steven D
    Absolutely!!!!

How many times is Ferrari held up as a racing legend? In how many Ferrari vs Lambo debates is Ferrari's racing heritage held up as the definitive proof of the Scuderia's overwhelming superiority? Let's face it, these Ferrari's were bred to race. If I owned a competition Ferrari and didn't race it, I feel I would be disgracing Enzo himself.

Is it worth it to buy one if you aren't going to race it?

I can see wanting to preserve the few remaining examples of these works of art. But for me, I would have to race them. After all, Enzo created these cars as tools to win races. Sure, they are very exclusive and beautiful tools, but still tools.

my .02

6. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    The nice thing (it seems anyway) about vintage racing is that no one wants to smash up their car for the sake of an extra place. It makes for some enjoyment and changes the circumstances a little. It's not like racing any old car.

7. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Remember the video that was going around the net that showed a bunch of rich Arab guys doing donuts in the dirt with their BMWs and Corvettes and Rolls Royces? They simply had so much money that they really didn't car if they damaged their cars or not. Most people would consider those guys a bunch of idiots for treating their expensive cars in such a destructive manner.

So why is it that when a bunch of rich race car drivers put their expensive cars on a race track and smash them to pieces, then that's consider a worthy thing to do?

The end result is still the same: a bunch of destroyed cars for no good reason. If those cars were a dime a dozen, not much of a big deal. But when you're talking about a bunch of expensive rare exotic high performance cars, destroying them on a race track is probably worse than a bunch of rich Arab guys burning up a new Ferrari doing donuts in the desert. Something to think about.

8. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I voted "yes", but only in a race series with other car enthusiasts... people who know how to drive well and who respect their car and others' cars and aren't going to rub fenders, bump, or bend metal to gain position... but I'd love to drive Monterey Historics or Goodwood etc. I intend to have my 250K-mile Stradale in such a couple decades from now.

9. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    They were banged up before, often destroyed and rebodied. Why not continue the tradition? Drive em til their wheels fall off. The only value they have is how much entertainment you can derive from it. Why not maximize that?

--Dan

10. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Probably yes.

But I won't take it to the limit, only "race" against competitors who know what they're doing and have respect for their cars and only in good track-conditions (no wet, etc...).

Greets, Alex.

11. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    The base car may be priced out of this world but I think to maintain and repair the car should be quite affordable, like any other Ferrari.

So long as you don't write off the car when racing.

12. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    A few thoughts. First some cars are pieces of history and once destroyed are gone forever. Secondly some vintage cars are very fragile. I remember what Mr. Ferrari said to a friend on mine after a fatal crash at the Monte Carlo Rally. "You collect the peices, I'll call his Mother."

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's a great one!

I also recall an article where a collector was entrusting Denny Hulme to shake down a restored Can Am machine. It talked about Denny being kind of a hard a-- about the details on the car. His comment:

"Look, it's my a--- on the line, and (185MPH) speed is nonnegotiable!"

When folks ask about my top speed in my car, I say:

"Not sure, I have a low threshold of DEATH" LOL!

14. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    Within reason, yes.

I would not destroy something that is better left a showpiece.

I would only race with those that would respect my car and their own. (that is a given when ever I hit the track.)

I would only race after I have sufficient seat time in the car and around the track.

If I have every reason to believe that the car and I will return home in a similar condition to in which we arrived then, yes.

otherwise, no.

15. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    yes

better question is would you jump a line of buses ala evil k. style.