370Z--anyone own one | FerrariChat

370Z--anyone own one

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Scotty, Jul 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    The reviews are in, but does anyone own one. I interested in your opinions.

Scott

2. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    #2 agup48, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    While I think these are going to look VERY dated in 5 years I kind of dig them. They remind me of Keyops ship from Gatchaman !

4. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Only seen one in the flesh, and I thought it was pretty nice. But I agree with Jerry, if these are anything like the 350, they're going to look very dated. And if the interior is anything like that of the 350 (in terms of materials and finish), I'll pass (not that I'm in the market for one)...

5. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
  6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    havent driven but seen on road and look terrific. nismo model better still and actually more conservative looking. cant imagine how a cayman is worth double $!

7. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    its not

8. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #8 climb, Jul 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
    I pulled into the parts dept of my local Nissan dealer with my old 300zxt the other day and when i came out of the cashier counter i noticed a couple salesmen and some other workers were checking out my car. One of the salesmen said how nice my car looked but that it didn't compare to a new 370z..invited me to take a test drive. I declined as i don't wanna know how much better it is.

May have to rethink if they come out with a 370z turbo though.

9. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    As much as I would like to see it, I just don't see a factory turbo Z happening anytime in the near economic future. I'm still waiting for the long rumored 450Z running their V8. Problem is as they go the V8 route or forced induction, the sweet spot sell price climbs and then sales drop. Look to the 300ZX/300ZXTT (Z32) for what happened to US sales. Resulted in the Z leaving the US in 1996 despite continued sales outside the US. Go back a couple of Z generations to the first (240Z-280Z) and the second gens (280ZX/280ZXT) and look at the great sales figures of those times. The Z was an affordable sports car.

The 350Z brought that back. Actually adjusted for inflation, it was pretty right in line with the old Zs. Now look to the 370Z and its even better in what it offers. Looks, better interior over the 350Z, better handling, more performance and a better price than the 350Z. Nissan hit a homerun with this one.

FYI...proud owner of a 1983 280ZXT that I had the prviledge to drive when it came home from the showroom back in 1983.

10. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    That is the thing, the price doesn't have to go up that much. What is the increase in the cost of production to add a turbo and perhaps strengthen a few marginal drive train components? Maybe $1500 for Nissan. Then they want $10k extra in MSRP. It is the pricing stucture between models in the same family that does them in, the mentality of so many manufacturers is that they have to have a base model then upgrades that cost significantly more in final price with higher margins.

Make it the standard car with 400hp and forget the normally aspirated version.

11. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    Drove a neighbors 370 recently. In a word: FUN!!!
    Pros: quick, peppy, great stick, seats, brakes, value.
    Cons: jittery ride especially on uneven pavement, noisy at speed, a few cheap interior plastic pieces, smallish boot.

the Cayman's handling/balance/steering are better, everything else the Z.

12. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    What killed that car is the same that killed the MR2 Turbo and others of the time. Japan's stagflation and Yen to Dollar exchange rate. As a comparison my MR2 Turbo sold for just over $18K in 1991. By 1995 the price had jumped to just over $30k. About 10,000 MR2 Turbos were brought into the US in 1991 and (if memory serves me correctly) less than 250 were brought in 1995. NO car is going to survive a 50% increase in price over such a short period no matter how good it is. I'm assuming 300ZX TT prices weren't too far off in regards to their increase.

13. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    The Sport Package for the 370Z really doesn't add that much to the base price and worth every dime. I'm with you though, kill the base price and just produce the Sport version. The 350Z was offered in too many variations. That hurts economies of scale for profitability. At least for the 370Z, they have cut it way back to basically the base and the sport versions.

I'm really digging the 370Z NISMO. All the NISMO goodies without paying for all the OEM parts and going through the part swaps, plus you get the warranty.

The 300ZXTT was rediculously high for the market and for where the Z had come from. Same as the MR2. Yes, the 300ZXTT was/is a great sports car with solid performance and style, but it was priced out of reach of the main market Nissan had targeted for 20 years. All that added performance comes at a cost. Toss in some gross profit, dealer mark ups, tariffs, taxes, etc and they got priced wayyy to high for the target market.

14. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #14 climb, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
    Exactly.

I'll bet it's not even $1500 to put turbos or a turbo on. What most don't know is the Z31 single turbo (t3) is easy to modify and outperforms the complicated and less effective and more expensive twin turbo system that came later. BMW puts the dual turbo set up on their 335 and don't even use the word turbo in it's name. Nissan could move in a similar manner by adding turbo(s) to the Z and still keep it inexpensive and not only draw value seekers but also steal Porsche and Corvette Z06 sales too.

15. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Nissan used the Garrett T3 turbos on the 280ZXT and the 300ZXT (Z31). Those would be too small for current market HP expectations. Go price a T3 replacement these days. OUCH! You might as well jump to a T3/4 hybrid for the same money.

For an application up to 400HP, Nissan would probably look to something along the lines of a Garrett ball bearing GT30/GT35 series. Those retail out for $1200-1500 apiece. they would need to decide a few things:
    1) single or twin turbo set-up and appropriate oil/water feed/drain lines for cooling/lubrication
    2) intercooler location/size and will it even fit given current space considerations
    3) Have to fit in that IC piping.
    4) Turbo exhaust manifolds
    5) Will the current internals and current compression handle the boost reguired for a turbo
    6) Fuel delivery and air/fuel mixture requirements based on boost curves
    7) fit a boost guage into the dash somewhere
    8) increased engine bay temps if installed under the hood.

Not sure the space consideration, but stuffing a TT set-up in at the rear of the car, ala some Vette set-ups, might be a fairly "easy" solution outside of running the IC plumbing. That would keep the engine bay temps down and far easier to access via a lift.

Let me be clear, I really like your idea of a 370ZTT, I just don't see it possible given the current economic climate along with the Nissan's target market which beckons back to the 240-280Zs.

16. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    The OEMs can buy components for pennies on the dollar that it costs us for retail. That $1500 turbo probably costs them $300 max. If you knew what they pay for tires or batteries the markup charged at the parts counter that we pay would make you puke.

17. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I've boosted the heck out of my '86 turbo's T3 and found the engine internals and the fuel delivery system to be more than enough. The only limitation is octane (pinging) in my case. The car feels like it's going to launch of the ground and the rear end sounds like it's going to rip off the car when i max the boost out. All i've done is add a lightweight flywheel, a 3 inch downpipe in addition to boosting the turbo. On Z31.com guys have built these engines up with over 450 hp using stock injectors and engine internals.

I'm not suggesting that Nissan put old T3 turbos in the new Z but i'm saying that if an old car like mine and others on the Z forum are getting this kind of performance for only a few hundred dollars out of these old engines just think of the potential with the new car..that's all.

18. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I'm right with you there on the concept. A 370ZTT would be seriously Zweet!

The VG30ET motor you are running is quite stout and overbuilt. Same for the older L28ET which can be brought up to 350RWHP on stock internals and over 600RWHP on forged internals. The later VG30DE and VG30DETT follow suit as well with being able to push some staggering HP with minimal challenges.

The VG35DE and/or VG35HR in the 350Z has shown Nissan did not follow the past overbuild philosophy as evidenced by tuners blowing apart multiple engines trying to figure out how to add more reliable HP. Check out the supercharger and turbo kits. They really don't add all the much. My first upgrade to my L28ET added about 100RWHP with no ill effects. I can add another 100RWHP with minimal $$ and work before I need to change internals from stock cast to forged and no need to change displacement although it is possible to go from stock 2.8L to reliable 3.1L.

The VG37VHR has been out a short time in the G37 and now in the 370Z. A TT kit for a G37 runs $8000 aftermarket. Yes, an OEM gets better pricing, but it is a talking point/reference. Oh yea, you need to toss in labor for installation as all the items needed for a TT set up are in addition to what is already installed for an N/A version.

The point made about being installed by an OEM is less than aftermarket is clearly shown in the NISMO Z. Lots of goodies installed at a fraction of what you would pay aftermarket since you end up with two of everything. Suspension, valence, exhaust, etc.

I guess we've derailed this thread from the OP's intent of wanting to know if the 370Z was a worthwhile purchase. To that I answer: YES!!!

19. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    #19 agup48, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I saw a white one today, looks really cool and definately a Guy's car. The 350Z is girly.

21. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I don't see how anyone thinks this is an attractive car, but hey..to each their own. I've heard good things about its driving abilities though.

22. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The 350 and now 370Z's are by far the most underwhelming cars on the road. They just scream rice and sometimes I chuckle when I see people driving them. They are the dogs of their category.

23. Imola82

Imola82 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Stu
    I've enjoyed my 350z for 6 1/2 yrs. For me it is a very thrilling car to drive and I am far from a "ricer"! I have not moddified my car whatsoever. Very reasonable entry fee. I've gone through 1 set of brakes and am still on the original clutch that's it for maintainence (other than fluids change). Believe me I would love to have a F430 or much less a 911 as my dd, but am just not there yet.