annoying problems with my new F430 | FerrariChat

annoying problems with my new F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by martinjim, Jul 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. martinjim

martinjim Rookie

Jul 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda Ca.
    Full Name:
    Jim Martin
    Hello fellow Ferrari owners,I just got my 2008 F430 with 1600 miles and I was in heaven but not for long.I have a vibration in the steering wheel and the drivers seat when the car is idling that is quite annoying.I also have a rattling sound somewhere between the engine compartment and the main cabin.My phone which is a Nokia pairs with the car and connects but all I get is static.To add insult to injury I was out to dinner last night and the hazard lights came on by themself and would not turn off.I LOVE my car but am dumfounded by these events.Also the car is quite loud in the main cabin(difficult to carry on a conversation)is this inherent with the car or is this another issue to add to my list?I plan on driving this beautiful masterpiece a WHOLE BUNCH(10000+ miles a year).Everyone I asked about this said the car was made for that.Your thoughts please.Thanks for your help and have a great day,Jim Martin

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #2 TheMayor, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
    Well, I'm assuming you bought this car used because if not, you'd be talking with the dealer, not us. The car should still be under warranty so I would ask them.

Before you bought this car, did you have it inspected? Was anything noted? Did you drive the car before you bought it? It seems weird you would have bought a car that you thought was too loud to converse inside of if that was your intent.

I also have a 08 spider and I do not have any issues with "vibration" in the steering wheel or seat. ZERO. So, I'm not sure what you are talking about but it may have a broken exhaust bracket or some other exhaust or motor mount issue. I've had some reprogramming done of the electronics of the ECU that Ferrari has updated under warranty. You might want to investigate that as well. There have been about 3 new campaigns since 2008.

I've not synced my phone but I understand it's not difficult. The dealer may be able to do it for you. Mine offered when I bought the car but I could care less about using my phone in the car. Some have complained that it's not the best even when it works but I'm not a good judge. Don't try to compare the F430 to a Lexus or you will be forever disappointed.

As to the exhaust loudness, there are five possible issues. The previous owner may have messed with the exhaust system.

1) He's disconnected the values that control the low load baffles. This makes the car louder at idle, low speeds, and low acceleration. This is easy to fix by reconnecting them. I had my disconnected and I personally love it this way. I know a lot of owners have done it. But, it does make it louder.

2) He's put on an aftermarket exhaust. This may also be the issue of your idle vibration if the installation was inadequate.

3) He's broken the exhaust. I broke the exhaust bracket on my car and it was replaced under warranty. But, I saw no difference before or after.

4) It's just noisier than you think vs a "normal" car. But, I found that with the baffles installed in original configuration, most of the time it was a kitty cat rather than a viscous beast. If the exhaust is stock, then my advice is live with it or sell it because most of us like listening to this thing howl.

5) In the worst possible situation, you have a broken header. If that is the case, you need to get it fixed ASAP as you can burn a value or cause some other serious damage. Earlier F430's have had a problem with broken headers but they were updated for 2008. I'm not sure but it could be your situation.

I can't tell you about the hazards but F430's are not known for electrical issues. It may be a fluke, something you did, or a weird problem that needs to be fixed. Are you sure you didn't hit the alarm remote by accident?

F430's are not known to be problem children. My suggestions is let the dealer sort it out as long as it's still under warranty. But, if the previous owner has done some modifications, you maybe looking deep in your pocketbook to get it sorted out.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

3. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA
    I had an intermittent rattling/banging type noise (heard only at idle) that sounded like it was coming from the engine compartment's firewall area. After looking all around the top of the car and finding nothing, I discovered that the noise was actually coming from underneath the car. It was the large under-body aero-panel positioned ahead of the rear diffuser. At times, the center of the panel was vibrating/resonating at idle and making noise (like a rapid banging sound). Oddly, the center of the panel is not bolted down (or up, rather), yet its perimeter is fastened with like 15 bolts. If you push up on it, it moves a good inch or more.

So, I loosened all the bolts (without removing them), then I pushed the center of the panel up slightly and held it there while re-tightening the bolts. I figured that by doing this, the panel would be pulled bit closer/tighter to the body and reduce the amount of play/flop in it. Sure enough, it made a difference. I still hear the noise from time to time, but it's much less frequent and not as loud.

Congrats on the purchase, and good luck.

4. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Very premature to advise this to you but check your manifolds. My car at eleven thousand plus miles had the steering wheel vibration and clacking sound from the engine bay that was the broken exhaust brackets.

5. McRoswell

McRoswell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2008
    Roswell, GA
    Full Name:
    Chris McAuliffe
    The comments from F3 above are right on....Don't get fustrated you have one of the finest cars in the world. Your dealer will fix you up!

6. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The hazard lights probably came on because the car was jiggled while sitting locked. Read your owner's manual for an explanation. As far as the exhaust goes, if it is loud all the time, then someone has modified it to bypass the muffler full time instead of just under high load. When just cruising at light loads, the exhaust should not be very loud.

I'm guessing you have a coupe which has harder motor mounts and the car will vibrate at idle, especially when cold. Personally, I think this is very cool.

I would advise you make an appointment with the nearest franchise dealer and have it checked over and see if there are any open TSB's.

Dave

7. Hoggo

Hoggo Rookie

Aug 13, 2009
    The Hazard light coming on happens when you accidentally "lock" the car while you are in it. It is actually a really annoying "feature" because you would expect the electronics of a >2005 (mine is a 2007) car to not do this while the engine is running, but there you go. The cheapo FIAT key doesnt help either, its easy to press the button when fumbling in the dark etc.

The vibration in the steering wheel is normal on many cars. My F430 Spyder does this - more on some days than others. On a RWD car with the engine in the back I was also a little surprised at how much vibration there sometimes is, but there you go. After changing the bushings on the front-axle (I noticed play/slack in the steering at 33.000km) it became better.

Rattles and noise from the back of the car is nothing ususual - at least in mine. I have a recurring problem of excessive rattle at 2000rpm to 3500rpm - also very audible from outside so that it is actually kind of embrassaing to drive around town because it sounds like you emptied a bunch of empty cans/pots into the engine bay. Everytime it gets bad its always something to do with the exhaust system. It never really goes away. But I think its always something to do with the exhaust system somewhere. I drive around 25000km/year in it (daily) in central Europe on all kinds of roads and despite annoying problems every once in a while it seems to survive winters, my driving (I drive fast, especially in corners) and poor roads just fine. Unlike the 355 which just kept breaking and breaking under the same conditions. The F430 sometimes has "moods" but has never failed yet.