Coolant flushing | FerrariChat

Coolant flushing

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by LUCH, Jul 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LUCH

LUCH Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Karl
    What's the best way to flush the cooling systems on an 86' 328. I've had some minor over heat problems and I figured it's time. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    in additon to dr. rose's fine expose on coolant changes, you might want to consider the following:

- locate the heater return hose that attaches to the large aluminum tube. (#25 hose, tav#130, 328 parts manual)
    these are found above the access panel on the underside of the car.

-this particular hose is typically the one removed to drain coolant from the car (except the block which drains seperately)

-to minimize getting soaked with coolant the next time you change fluid, consider making up a drain
    valve arrangement and "tee" between the rubber heater hose and the aluminum tube.
    make sure the valve size you choose does not overly restrict flow in the heater return hose or you
    may suffer a loss of heater performance on cold days. i chose a brass 3/4" fpt ball valve which
    allows the use of a garden hose adapter. now a garden hose can be connected and permit you to
    direct the spent coolant into a remote container. you remain dry in the process.

sorry, my hard drive is suffering from some form of advanced dementia. i cannot retrieve the pix i took of my
    modification.