2003 360 F1 gearchange problem | FerrariChat

2003 360 F1 gearchange problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by TimTifosa, Jul 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TimTifosa

TimTifosa Karting

Mar 21, 2007
    Recently my 2003 360 Spider F1 has been increasingly going into neutral
    when upshifting. This has recently started happening intermittantly after the car
    has properly warmed up, and never when cold. It seems to be happening
    one in every 10 to 20 upshifts.

Hydraulic fluid level is good, and not going down.

Is the fix likely to be just an adjustment, or is something in the F1 pump or
    hydraulics about to break down completely?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Other threads suggest the most likely culprit is clutch wear

3. magic

magic Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2004
    London
    Tim,

My car was doing the same thing, so I had the clutch replaced and it still carried on doing it. It has finally been diagnosed as a very small fluid leak, which only happens when the car is running hot.
    This was done by putting the car on a ramp will all the undertray removed and taking the wheels etc off the car and running it through the gears, whilst watching for any fresh fluid.

Hope this helps.

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Fluid leaks near the clutch can be sometimes seen at the hydraulic junction box, 196918. The original design from Ferrari develops hairline cracks and indeed allows fluid loss. Although Ferrari has tried to update this piece (superseded to 235706), the folks at Hill Engineering in England once again beat them to the punch with a VASTLY superior version that'll probably outlast the next ice-age:

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=261701

Hope this helps!

5. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Daniel is right, the clutch bleed block is quite often a cause for concern. There are a few other things to check for though. The easiest of which is the switch on the engine bay lid, a small microswitch located on the latch mechanism that will cause it to drop out of gear when it's worn. Access it by removing four 7m.m screws holding the panel that covers the latch. You will then see a plug with a small wire attached to the latch assembly. Disconnect this, then take it out for a drive. Other than this the other causes can be;
    1. loose bleed screws on actuator. (indicated in fast system pressure drop-off and the pump running a lot)
    2. worn clutch plate.
    3. Clutch going over P.I.S due to fault with slave/bearing/sensor or worn flywheel.
    4. Other leak in the hydraulic system, i.e actuator lines, valve block, pump.
    5. Weak pump. System pressure needs monitoring on Sd2.

6. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    Had a regular service done on my 360 F1 a couple of weeks ago, and they noticed a hairline fracture in this clutch fluid union / block. It was replaced as a precaution. I guess most service centres check this part as a known weak point at each service?

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

If people quit overtightening the bleeder screw it wouldn't be a problem.

8. TimTifosa

TimTifosa Karting

Mar 21, 2007
    If the clutch is worn in an F1 360, why doesn't it just slip like in a
    conventional manual car?

9. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Eventually it will. Throwing itself out of gear is the usual indication that it's getting to that point. By the time it's obvious that it's slipping you can budget for a flywheel as well, if it's not already goosed.

10. Uomo360F1

Uomo360F1 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2007
    Clutch starting to cough. Symtom of upcoming flu.

11. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1 I *guess* the TCU detects that all is not well, and it drops it back to neutral - You try again, and this time it meets spec and selects the gear. But I could certainly be wrong of course....

Or, at least a resurface of the old flywheel. [Popcorn ready :D]

Cheers,
    Ian

12. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    when I first got my car.. it was doing the for the first hour of driving, then went away never to happen again.. the cause in my cases was a dead battery... so check that out also