Camaro Z28 on hold due to political correctness | FerrariChat

Camaro Z28 on hold due to political correctness

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by tundraphile, Jul 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/lutz-z28-camaro-on-hold/#more-322856

Bob Lutz confirmed yesterday that the Camaro Z28 will be put on hold. I wonder if "on hold" is a euphamism in this case for "dead as a doornail as long as the government controls us, which will be forever most likely"...

his quote from the article
    "[The Camaro] was apparently put on hold due to both cost constraints and concerns about the blatant political incorrectness of building a gas-guzzling, super pony car."

I guess GM wouldn't want a high profit car that people actually want to buy and would improve the image of the lower models. If you assume it gets the same mileage as the CTS-V, it actually uses gasoline to the tune of about 24 miles per gallon.

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I bolded the bottom GM, because in that sentance GM stands for Government Motors. And 24mpg is blashpemy to them.

I predict a number of execs. to leave their positions after a matter of months of stressfully long days and sleepless nights under government control.

3. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Sucks, it would be a great car. And a GT500 killer....

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    GM wants to give the money back to the government ASAP. Look for it way before the 18 months they were talking about.

For GM, the new symbol of freedom will be the Z28.

5. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    How many billions did it receive? IIRC it was on the order of $30B. I don't see that being paid back in our lifetimes...

6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    If they could get any leverage on the unions it would be a lot sooner.

7. big.bryant

big.bryant Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2008
    Boulder, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bryant