Interior restoration / cement | FerrariChat

Interior restoration / cement

Discussion in '308/328' started by rolindsay, Jul 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    #1 rolindsay, Jul 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
    I will soon be (re)starting my '79 308GTB's interior restoration. The car is in great shape but just needs to be freshened up. Specifically, I would like your advice on which upholstery adhesive you would recommend to re-cement down the edges of the leather and/or vinyl where they are lifting from the fiberglass substrate. The generic stuff I have used in the past just can withstand the heat of a car's interior. Advice? -rick

2. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    #2 speedy, Jul 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  3. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
  4. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Typical professional glue we use for corporate aircraft is 3M 1357 and 1300L. I think 1357 is for spray while 1300L is for brush application.

Jeff

5. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I used Weldwood on mine, it's holding up just fine. It was recommended by the upholstery shop that did all my work.

6. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    I used Weldwood too. Works awesome, and if you sniff it for very long, you can begin to hear and even see the Jethro Tull concert from 1972. Just a side benefit.

7. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Yup....Welwood. Its a neoprene based cement, and that is the key. Why? Cuz is resists heat better than other types without breaking down. It is the choice also (and related) to restoration of convertible tops too, and if it will withstand a top's heat/uv ray intensity, it will do well interiorly (a word?)

8. h00kem

h00kem Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Texas
    Weldwood

9. klatu

klatu Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Mckinney
    Yup Weldwood is good, only I started hearing the Anita Briant concert from 68.

10. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    #10 rolindsay, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
    Reminds me of experiences with "Aircraft Stripper". Emmit Rhodes' "Fresh as a Daisy" comes to mind.

BTW, while on the theme of noxious chemicals; They sell a variant of Aircraft Stripper that is badged "Low Odor". If you should wonder what they removed to make it low odor, I can tell you. They removed the stuff that strips paint! Low Odor Aircraft Stripper is useless.

11. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I tried to make sure the garage door was open when using the weldwood but it still can leave you feeling pretty good. What was worse was the POR 15 paint I used in the trunk area. Imagine being bent over inside that small space with a brush full of that stuff for awhile!! I kind of floated back into the house!

12. klatu

klatu Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Mckinney
    Try orange limonene, it smells like organges and works great.

13. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    When choosing an adhesive you will likely use something different between the vinyl and the leather portions. In a 308 the ONLY factory leather are the seats and surface of the door skins. Everything else is vinyl. It is important to know this because you need an adhesive that is resistant to 'plasticizers'. These are oils that permeate out of vinyl and is used to make it supple and flexible. Unfortunatly these plasticizers attack most glues that are not specifically designed to work with them. That said I researched and used 3M Spray 80 to great success on my 308 interior. I am not saying that Spray 80 is the only choice however the plasticizer thing is important to ensure a good and lasting adhesion. Good luck with the project

14. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    I think they used to call that a "bad trip". Hope you're okay!

That stuff is THE KING of noxiousness (just made that word up. Must be the Weldwood talking!) The POR15 and paints like that are crazy smelly. I'm waiting for the headline, "POR 15 Employees All Claim They've Been to Mars".

15. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    John,

Weldwood makes a few different glues, some for carpentry. Which glue did you use?

16. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I just used the original contact cement. Like I mentioned the upholstery shop recommended this and it is what he uses. He thins it and sprays it but I just rolled or brushed it on right out of the can.

This stuff here..... http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?BrandID=46&SubcatID=8

17. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I bought a quart of the same glue from Orchard Supply Hardware for $11.50 but haven't used it yet. Do you have to wait 15 minutes before gluing them together?