Ferrari 328 Exterior "Survivor" Methods | FerrariChat

Ferrari 328 Exterior "Survivor" Methods

Discussion in '308/328' started by AHudson, Jul 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    #1 AHudson, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
    I didn't mean to start a series here, but since the "interior" version has run its course (except for install) time to turn attention to the outside. I decided to get the outside done, THEN install the interior as not to sling polish over the freshly installed/detailed interior.

So tomorrow, Brian Barnsworth (Voted 1 of Top 9 Detailers in the US by AutoWeek) will be over here to do one car for me and one for a friend (365GTC/4). I'm pretty sure I'm going to get him to do the 328. Just wanted to gauge interest in a photo sequence and to see what if any 'specific' trouble areas you'd like me to concentrate upon.

My car has very good original paint (black) and the front valance/spoiler area has been painted in its past. Looks nice, but this was disclosed to me, so that's an issue to deal with. Many of us have have difficulty with the vent areas, so it'll be interesting for me to see how he details these.

I've never paid for a REAL detail job before (only the 'normal' details like for my wife's car) since I actually ENJOY doing this. But after seeing Brian's work, I thought I may as well see how a 'master' does it.

Just looking for feedback. Is it worth another 'detail' thread? Anything specific? Let me know.

2. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You feel you need to ASK this question at FERRARI CHAT??? :D :D

OF COURSE WE WANT THE PICTURES

Jedi

3. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    YES! I would love to get rid of that....from the outside of my car. Be sure to spill every single secret about the outside of the car.

Ace

4. Easyrider7467

Easyrider7467 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    You really need to post pics of "before".

Vents? Do you mean the rear lid vents?

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #5 Bullfighter, Jul 6, 2009
    How is it an issue? I think mine's on the second valance respray. It won an FCA Coppa Bella Macchina after the first one, and another FCA major award (Best 8 Cylinder Ferrari) at Concorso in 2007 after I had it resprayed and then the car detailed by Symbolic in San Diego.

6. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    #6 AHudson, Jul 6, 2009
    Both ends have them and polishing can present difficulty. Likewise, the side louvers (plastic) have a different look than paint of course.

Unlike your respray, many shops attempt 'blends' that don't. As I closely inspected my car tonight in preparation for the detailer, I now can't confirm it's even been painted. These cars almost ALL got repainted (or need to) up front for road rash, and I was told by the seller that he "thought" it had been done. Really tough to tell where it started or stopped.

Can't wait to get his opinion and watch the results.

7. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    #7 AHudson, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Provided Brian feels this car can most benefit from his work, we'll commence on the 328 tomorrow. If he chooses this car, a couple of the requested 'before' shots.

The car shines well enough, but upon close inspection, typical micro-swirls in the horizontal areas. The right front area on apron (between headlights) is very thin from previous polishing making me believe it has not been painted before.

Hopefully the close up photos give an idea of the paint condition. Car was freshly hand washed, hand dried. Even though the second shot looks pretty good, you can see in photo 3 how the paint looks close up. (Also gives you an idea how pictures can lie!)

For those who didn't see the "interior" redo thread, that's why my interior - except for driver's seat - is missing! And yes, I have all new wheel centers to go with the freshly resprayed/recleared wheels and new tires.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yes, the most difficult spot to polish is probably the thin strip on the rear deck between the buttress and aluminum louvres. Also the usual spots around the emblems on the rear, unless you remove those for detailing.

9. Easyrider7467

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes the distant shots look O.K. but it appears it lacks luster.

Ahh, then I get to the rear deck shot...lots of micro-marring and spider-webbing.

This 328 is gonna Shine like a diamond when he gets done....

10. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    He arrived on time this morning. I pulled the side lights, 'Ferrari' emblem, plus the tag bracket. Man, these have probably have NEVER been off the car.

Anyway, he's taping and measuring and all that stuff now, soon to commence with the 'real' work. Once he clayed it, the car already looked better, but there's a long way to go. He's taking pics too. Said, "I can really bring this car up". Can't wait!

11. Easyrider7467

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John

Oh yea, that 328 is going to look insane.

12. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    All I ask is that you don't bring it to the next car show and take my first in class trophy.

13. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    That's what my wife says about its owner.

Branko, just go ahead and send me the trophy to save yourself the embarrassment! MINE MINE ALL MINE ALL MINE. Sorry, I have a recessive competitive gene. Kidding of course, my car will look way better than it did, but don't worry -- I'll make sure I sell it to the guy who offered you the big bucks THAT YOU TURNED DOWN before next year's show.

UPDATE: Just checked on the car after lunch and OH MY, Brian has got the deft hand to be sure. Showed me the before/after with his fancy little spectromaculardegeneatorflambuzamagigawatt light and it was unreal. Honestly, one panel would be liquid-smooth and 100% clear while the adjacent 'before' panel would look like it had been whipped with Barnacle Bill's hand towel.

14. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    A proper wetsand/buff will make that look like a new paint job. It's gonna look great if done right.

15. Easyrider7467

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    Try to snap some shots of the work in progress....

16. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #16 robbie, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
    Is the Targa top silver or is that just the way the light hits it? If it is silver then don't be clearing that spot on the mantle for your trophy quite yet. :) (I'm guessing it's the light).

17. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    I HAD IT CHROMED BECAUSE I'M A BLING MACHINE! Wow, you threw me with that, 'til I looked back at the photos. No, it is most definitely the light. That's weird.

He finished tonight at about 6:30pm, a solid 10 hours, with maybe 45 minutes for lunch. Incredible. Doesn't look like the same car. It's a polished onyx with a Ferrari logo on it. I put the emblems and lights back on (compulsive disorder) and just stood back.

I found myself marvelling at the beauty of this little car, all over again. Money well spent. Photos coming.

18. 328Nero

328Nero Karting

May 14, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    The Dude
    OK, I just called my therapist for an appointment...SERIOUS sellers remorse! I am sitting on the edge of my seat right now waiting for those pics...

19. shawxhurst

shawxhurst Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Steve Hawxhurst
    +1. I have a black & tan 308QV and I'd love to see the pics. Can you give details on what your did throught the ten hours?

20. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    #20 AHudson, Jul 10, 2009
    Basically, I washed and dried the car the night before, Meguire's Gold Class wash, dried it completely, opened all doors and lids to drain. (Detailers don't like water in their waxes!)

The next day, he clayed it completely, about 1 hours worth, wiped it down.

Took his fancy light and paint gauge to measure all panels for paint depth, noted thin spots. About half hour.

Taped the areas of total thinness, plus trim, rubber, any remaining surface items that'd 'catch' the buffer etc. (I'd removed lights, lenses, Ferrari emblem, tag). Half hour.

The next 3-4 hours were light polish (he can fill in later on this post with exactly what he used here) for whole car, using the light every step to make sure he was cutting only enough to get the best surface 'flattening'.

After that, he went 'up' one pad and polish to get a better surface, about 2-3 hours.

After that, a sealant. (I was at work, not watching, but again, Bryan can chime in here later.) Another couple hours here.

Most products I saw him use were Zaino, which he's a firm beleiver in, though 'moderately' priced vs. some later competitors. Bryan is half artist half scientist, and knows the trade down to the micron... literally. He carefully chose pads, polishes, buffer speed, wiping cloths, drying times, etc. Just amazing the difference between his work and well, mine, and I've been doing 'home' details for 20 years.

You can buy it back! I'd welcome you here anytime. On a different note, the clutch, fuel lines, window accelerators all work. Or they have for the last 40 feet I've driven the car! You want pics? You got 'em...

BEFORE>>

21. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    #21 AHudson, Jul 10, 2009
    Notice the FAR better reflective quality, absence of hologram looking radial scratches. These were all over the car (and most cars for that matter!) and though the car was very 'clean' by anyone's estimation, once it was polished properly, it just made the car glow. No kidding, all over.

22. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    #22 AHudson, Jul 10, 2009
  23. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    #23 AHudson, Jul 10, 2009
  24. vito11

vito11 Karting

Oct 8, 2006
    Hi,
    what do you use for the hard top for gts?
    Many thanks.

25. 328Nero

328Nero Karting

May 14, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    The Dude
    Wow Adams...that looks fantastic and I am sure it looks even better in person. GREAT job! Is the Boxer next?