Has Max really quit & recommended Todt ? | FerrariChat

Has Max really quit & recommended Todt ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by greyboxer, Jul 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buckminster

buckminster Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2005
    On the water, SWFL
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Raftis
    There is a step in the right direction, Todt or Ari, both would be better than Max.

2. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
  3. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    He might like getting an extra swat in the fanny. ;)

The pitpass link is showing "too many connections".

But the gist of the news is just that Max is back to saying that he won't try to get re-elected, not that he's out.
    (Actually, he's saying that he'll "resist pressure to stand for re-election". Uh huh.)

And Max would never go back on his word, now would he? :rolleyes:

4. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I'll believe that Max is gone when a new president is elected.
    This, however, sounds like someone going down the drain trying to control the spin. (tortured metaphor unintended).

5. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    Here's his letter:
    I really hope that Todt doesn't get the job. Has Max ruined Todt's chances by publicly backing him?

Also I'd like to know who has been writing to Max begging him not to leave. I can't imagine that any clubs from the USA or Europe will be backing him as he seems to be turning his back on their tracks. I want to know who has backed him. I am a member of the RAC and if they have offered Max any support I want to leave.

6. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Once again Max is creating his own parallel universe.
    "Neurotics build castles in air. Psychotics live in them.

7. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #8 Fast_ian, Jul 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
    Why? [I think I'd prefer Ari from a "political" perspective, but as Steve likes to say, a crazed 800lb gorilla would be better than what we've got.]

Probably!....

+1 I wonder if an email / letter to these clowns would elicit a response? They're meant to be "member owned, non-profits" (?) with a lot of "transparency" and should therefore make their decisions public (Yeah, right!). Trouble here in the States is we've only got the AAA - You're fortunate in that you could quit the RAC and go with the AA.

Cheers,
    Ian

8. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    Why not Todt? Simply because Max is backing him and I don't want Max Jnr. Also if any decisions ever went in our favour everyone would claim that Todt was biased towards Ferrari because of his past. I don't know a great deal about Ari, but I thought he seemed ok when he was interviewed at the weekend. Jackie Stewart thinks it should be a CEO rather than a racing man. I think it should just be someone with no links to Max.

9. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Fair comment. As you said, he's probably screwed due to MM's backing anyway.....

+1

But, unless they go the JYS route (a "certified halfwit" according to MM) and appoint a complete outsider almost all of 'em will have some links to the crazy man. I'm also not sure a true "outsider" is a good idea either..... The ability to deal with the *huge* egos in F1 will be the key - (S)he will need some big cojones and, truth be told, be somewhat "dictatorial" (in a democratic fashion!) if anything is ever going to get done.

I think I'd like to see our man Gerald Tremblay (?), the mayor of Montreal, throw his hat into the ring - I can't find the superb interview he did a while back about the Canadian GP and F1 in general, but he came across really well IMHO. And he's a "politician" at the highest level.....

Cheers,
    Ian

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thou hast great quotes:)

11. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    I think both Ari and JT could do a good job, but I think I'd rather have Ari instead as he used to be a driver and he isn't stigmatized by being endorsed by Mr. Spanky

12. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Can't we just get Max to be quiet and go away?

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to happen until they nail the lid down..... I even suspect there's going to be a book published posthumously, so he still won't be gone :( [Might make for an interesting read though ;)]

Cheers,
    Ian

14. Bones2U

Bones2U Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2008
    Ontario
    It will ne Jean Todt as I predicted a couple of months ago. Luca has been prepping him for years now.

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I think that may be his biggest problem - Many will see him as "stigmatized" by Luca and/or previous Ferrari involvement. Having the crazy mans endorsement won't do him any favors either ;)

Has he even said if he's interested yet? [I'm not sure he wants to even do it, but could be wrong....]

Cheers,
    Ian

16. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Hahaha! SO true! :)

17. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1 Ari has to get the job, he also said his past links to Todt would not be an issue.

Exactly the man is an utter lunatic to state and think we might believe he has folk supporting him, I bet half of them would want to run him through with there pencils.

He knows nothing and thinks he knows everything. That points clearly to a political career.

18. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Another thought, anyone endorsed by Max cannot be the next FIA leader period IMO and I hope the FOTA sees to this.

Besides his time at Ferrari showed to me he is not a man who has shown much belief in the ideals of sport. His obsession with MS and his favour over his team mates was not IMO a healthly one.

19. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  20. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    As much as I appreciate what JT did foe the Scuderia I don't think we need such a "political" individual.

21. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    JT is every bit as devious and underhanded as Max ever was. That's probably why Max likes him.

I have a feeling the teams will be very much against him becoming president.

Interesting times ahead.

22. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #23 kraftwerk, Jul 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
    Apparently whilst Todt was at Peugeot WRC, teammates Jacky Ickx and Ari Vatanen!!! were fighting for victory with six days to go!! ..Todt wanted no more fair fighting between them, he tossed a coin as to who should win, so as to ensure Peugeot winning, totally wrong IMO, and not what sport should be about.

Max has been the scum of the sport for too long and nothing he suggests from now must be listened to, he will have the desire for revenge he will be a man full of vengeance.

23. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    +1, 100%.

Love the guy and tip my hat to him but I'm not sure F1 needs someone as politically hot as Todt. Besides, for the benefit of sporting impartiality (or at least the perception of it), someone unaffiliated with a manufacturer team would be better.

That said, I'll believe Mosley's gone when I see it and I'm not holding my breath.

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    +1, except the interesting comment ... not!. Ferrari would completely control the FIA ... if they don't already.

Heck kraftwerk we agree on something :) :D
    Pete