SF Concours July 19, 2009 | FerrariChat

SF Concours July 19, 2009

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by Vintage V12, Jul 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    Looks like it will be a nice show. About 200 cars, 35 being Ferrari vintage to modern.....

2. toms

toms Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    I'll be there judging.

The website mentions only pre-sold tickets, no walkup. At $50 a ticket, seems kind of high. :(

3. Pranucci

Pranucci Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    Carpinteria, CA
    OT, but does anyone know what happened to the vintage sports car race around the Presidio? It was proposed a few years ago and haven't heard anything since.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Tom, find me....We need to talk.

Say hello to Susie.

5. Racerboy

Racerboy Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Bay Area
    I could walk there from my house but at $50 a ticket, no thanks. I think the Palo Alto Concours model, at $25 a ticket is about appropriate for viewing some cars and giving back to charity.

Any one know if there will be a place to watch the cars drive in for free?

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #6 Rifledriver, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
    I heard nothing official but I do know the organizers were running into all sorts of potential safety issues and were dealing with people that didn't really understand them. Also the attitude in general with the City and its inhabitants. I suspect it just died a natural death. And I believe the plan was for Golden Gate Park and not the Presidio.

7. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    The show was very nice and cozy. I showed my older car. Variety of cars made it interesting (loved the old Packards and Bentleys), and the venue was picture-perfect. For next year....they just need to send proper directions to the entrants...I was circling around on the way in, and then got spat out onto 19th ave, which was miserable for the old girl on the way back.
    Willie Brown was over to chat, and the judging, food, and facilities were pretty goof for an inaugural show. They did sell tickets at the location (cash or check). Web site was incorrect.

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Very good selection of cars. I am a Packard lover so was very happy to see a great line up of them. We had some really high scoring vintage V12 Ferraris. Organizers really outdid themselves on the food for the VIPs and Judges. Didn't see what the other food was about though. Venue is great, directions and signage was poor. Weather was perfect until wind came up near the very end. Over all they did a very good job and hope they learn from the small number of mistakes they did make. Will go next year.

9. Carvidschris

Carvidschris Rookie

Jul 11, 2009
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Chris
  10. toms

toms Karting

Nov 5, 2003

Nice to see you and Leslie there. Thank you for the tip regarding the tank cars. We will talk again.

Was treated very well for a judge. The food was very good so no need to wander to the food tent. Signage needs improvement and the cars were not placed well. Some too crowded and some classes didn't make sense. To put it on was a real testiment of fortitude. The first time a SF official told me we would have to pay a carbon tax for all the entrants cars and the spectators in the parking lot, well.....I would have lost it. :)

I judged the older Bentleys and specifically a 1925 Le Mans team car. What an amazing engineering machine. The lap counter in brass on the steering wheel spoke is a work of art and I loved the cigar lighter on the dash for those long stints at Le Mans. :) The entrant failed to empty the cylinders after shutting down and too rich a mixture caused a backfire that scared the **** out of the photographer shooting the rear of the car. Just too bad it wan't one of those SF Officials. Take that carbon tax and shove it... :)

The fashion show was not that great, but I did take a few pics to show Susie that I don't always take pictures of just cars....

See ya in Monterey!

11. Racerboy

Racerboy Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Bay Area
    Anyone have pics they'd like to upload?

12. GTSguy

GTSguy Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #12 GTSguy, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
    I took my 275 and agree with the previous comments.... It was good to see Luke and other friends. All in all it was a very nice show despite a few glitches. The weather was close to ideal! Here's some pics..

I was saddened to hear that this red California was a replica - it was quite stunning. A real black one was parked next to this one. My Ferrari fav was the 195 Inter (Urban). The Packards were glorious! So too many of the Bentleys....

Yikes, no picture space left...