#2169 full restoration finished (PHOTOS) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

#2169 full restoration finished (PHOTOS)

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Enzo Belair, Jul 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Olimpi

Olimpi Karting

Sep 26, 2004
    Middleburg, VA
    Full Name:
    David D. Olimpi
    Well done! My new favorite color. I hope that you're planning on showing it at the FCA Annual Meet at Elkhart Lake latter this month.

2. jhjvdm

jhjvdm Formula Junior

May 28, 2003
    #27 jhjvdm, Jul 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Yes, but the car shown in the pics with prince Bernhard & Ginther is 1895GT. Best wishes, Kare

4. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    Scott and Zac - The car looks wonderful! You both have taken the time and energy to do this job right and it really shows. Please post more photos so we can use it as an example of how to do our cars correctly.

I plan on swinging through Oceanside to finally see it all together, but when do you plan to show it next so the rest can enjoy it?

So is the car sitting on the dirt road in the "Auto Motor und Sport" article. Note the lack of fender louvers.

5. DeaneG

DeaneG Karting

Jan 26, 2006
    SF bay area
    It's absolutely spectacular. Congratulations!

6. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    A spectacular restoration, and also one of my favorite Ferrari colors. Fred

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Beautiful......what detail.......

8. h00kem

h00kem Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Texas
    Absolutely beautiful.

9. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I love it!

10. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Saw it on Father's Day - sharp to the last detail!

11. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Wow, the car looks fantastic. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

12. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #37 Enzo Belair, Jul 16, 2009
    Again thank you everyone for your kind remarks.

EPDOWD we will be bringing the car to the Palos Verdes Concours if you are interested in its next show. Also I would have to differ with you in regards to #1895 being the car in the Auto Motor und Sport article. If you enlarge the photos you can see that there are vents. Also along with the car having vents which #1895 did not you can also see the trademark “drooping beltline” that only #2169 has on the driver side rear quarter panel. This drooping line is evident in all the photos within the article as well as other shots of the car including the shots taken at the Paris show.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #38 Enzo Belair, Jul 16, 2009
    Here is the other page from the article in Auto Motor und Sport where the additional enlarged photo is taken from. If you look closely you can see the vents in both shots without enlarging the photos.

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    For car restorations this was quick and definitely not a long road. I've been restoring my Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV for 20 years ... now that is a long road :).

BTW: Car is a credit to the restorer and you!
    Pete

15. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Sorry to be a party pooper, but Tom is right, AMS car is 1895GT. Won't go into detail here, but there is pretty strong evidence about this. FWIW, 1895GT had vents added when the car was still being used by factory for promotional purposes. And yes; this makes things a little tricky.

What comes to the drooping sideline, 2169GT was not the first or only car to have it. It may have been the last. I also disagree on 2169GT being the Paris car (we've been here before), but there really is no need to go deeper here as color photos will surface sooner or later and they will solve this question forever - just like that.

2169GT is a super-great car! It does not need to be pumped up with questionable claims!

Best wishes, Kare

16. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    Well played Scott! After looking at the original magazine (not the less than optimal optimized pdf's I have on my GTE site) I have to concede that there are vents on the fenders.

Now tell me about the "drooping beltline"; a concept I was not aware of. I guess I have to get out the old magazines and start looking for that feature! Is that replicated on the passengers side or is that just a quirk of the hand-made nature of the car?

17. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    #42 epdowd, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
    This site moves fast! Kare must have been typing at the same time as I, in spite of the time difference between our two countries...

One comment to add additional fuel to the fire, is that the first paragraph of the article states that there were only three GTE's in existance at the time of this article and I believe that 2169GT was the fifth car in the (pre)series. Note that the third was not available because the author says that it was Enzo's personal car. Of course, the photos could have been provided by Ferrari later, but as this was the first article I am aware of that featured the GTE, I would assume that the author must have moved pretty quickly.

All the other magazines of that month (October 1960) that mentioned the GTE only quoted Ferrari sources and provided a stock photo. Of course, the Motor Trend and Road & Track stock photos (same) of the passengers side might have a "droopy beltline", but that could just be a trick of the photographers angle.

I have a headache...

18. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    Ok, one more comment... The dark (b&w photo) GTE in the Road & Track & Motor Trend Articles pretty clearly does not have fender vents, so I would say 1895GT.

19. Bill P

Bill P Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Prescott AZ
    Full Name:
    William D. Preston
    Zac:

No, that wasn't me who got their GTE into Pebble Beach. It was my predecessor in publishing the 250 GTE Register & Newsletter, Len Miller. He was invited to show his GTE s/n 2653 in 1991. I don't think any others have been invited.

Bill Preston

20. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #45 Enzo Belair, Jul 17, 2009
    Tom as far as we know #2169 is the only GTE that has the drooping beltline on the driver side and yes it is due to hand made manufacturing it is not a design feature.

Kare as far as #2169 being at the Paris show I have the following to offer you. Here is the cars history listed by Marcel Massini where you can see its original destination was the Paris Motor Show. Also we do not need a color photo to evaluate the cars color. Two cars went to the Paris show in 1960, #2169 which is rosso robino metallic with light interior and #2043 which is light silver/blue with dark red interior. I have posted the photo of #2169 and #2031 (same color as #2043 the other Paris car) both photographed under show lighting conditions. As you can see the lighter silver/blue does not photograph in black and white the same as the darker rosso robino metallic. I have also included a photo where you can see the light interior color of #2169. If this was a B&W photo of #2043 the red interior would photograph almost like black interior and not be nearly as light as it is in the photo from the show.

To put it in one sentence the car in the photos from the show is to dark to be light silver/blue and #2043 is light silver/blue.

If you have any questions please let me know.

21. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Reading that history, I remember the name Dave Shook. Did I sell him a car?

22. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Actually a correction. #2031 was silver and #2043 was light silver/blue but again both of these colors will photograph almost identically as the camera only sees color value in B&W photo not color so the blue would drop out. So again whether silver or silver/blue the photo from the show is to dark to be a light colored car.

23. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    No, no, no. 2031 was Grigio Argento (bright silver) with black interior and 2043 was Gentian blue (medium metallic) with red interior. The Paris photos show quite exactly what I would expect this color to look like in a bw photo. For me there is absolutely no way the Paris car could be Rosso Rubino with tan interior; the paint is too light and the interior is too dark for that! But let's not turn this into religion!

Best wishes, Kare

PS. FWIW, 1895GT has the "drooping beltline" on both sides - this is clearly visible in photos taken in Le Mans and Rimini Concours. Not sure about 1903GT, very hard to see on a white car and there is not much left of the original body today...

24. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    That's achingly beautiful.

Please flood the servers with more pics!

25. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003