Creepy | FerrariChat

Creepy

Discussion in 'Australia' started by kerrari, Jul 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    I've just cancelled my Facebook page because it was obvious from the 'people you might know' popups that 'someone' had been fishing in my email contacts and or my webbrowsing. One of the suggestions was someone I know slightly from this forum but that's the only connection, the person is not in any of my contact details, so I can only assume Facebook has somehow drawn a connection between us due to common usage of Fchat.
    I was never keen on Facebook and posted no details or pictures of myself (joined at the request of my HK sisters-in-law) but this creeps me out...
    I don't have anything to hide but its still creepy; some people who attend sites they'd rather others didn't know about should probably be very creeped out.
    If any of the IT nerds have any comment on how to make sure all links are severed (apart from just cancelling the account), I'd be glad to hear!

2. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    And rightly so to. You would only have to meet some of the people on this site on a dark night and it would be enough to scare the milk off your cornflakes!

3. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    VERY strange indeed.. normally the "people you might know" populated by either your contacts list/msn etc and by other in-common FB only links, eg listed as same school, friends of friends etc.

As it is FB generated this can't be done by some "outsider" action.. nor can FB auto-magically draw the link from a random website such as fchat, perhaps you freaked out little too quickly?

4. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I've noticed the same thing. people who i've never heard of coming up as possiblilites. sometimes i see mutual friends, so it sort of makes sense, but sometimes i wonder at the connection.

occasionally, phil hughes' name comes up. that makes me laugh.

5. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    but does that person have you in their contact details, i.e. an email address perhaps he saved, or anything else.

e.g. person A and person B both on facebook, but they haven't added each other. Facebook would take two actions to see if those two might know each other. 1) by the number of commen friends they have, obviously the higher the number, the more likely you two might know each other; or 2) even if person A don't have person B in their contact list, but as long as person B has person A's, then both A and B may have each other's page shown in "people you might know".

there are certain measures you can take to beef up the security, its all in your account privacy settings. You can make your profile unsearchable, or even completely hidden. But once again, you're on the internet, you're not that safe. IMO, just live it up :D

6. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    perhaps i should add him when i'm not working :D

7. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    if you are surfing Facebook,do the people know that you have viewed their page?

8. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    i believe there is an application (add-on) that allows you to do that. but most people put their page as private so only (friends can view), so there is not much of a point for having the application.

9. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    what about those whom don't,have the private only?

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Holy Cow - those are the exact words Judas said at the Last Supper!

11. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    It's a big database of names and common bits of data all thrown together and filtered out. The whole point of FB is to find the commonalities between people and put them together. Either by interest, hometown, school, or "favorite websites".

12. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    No.

13. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    #13 SPEEDCORE, Jul 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I wouldn't be alarmed. That's how facebook works. Its like 6 degrees. If any of your friends has this person as a friend then they will pop up. How many fchat friends did you have?

You can set it under the privacy settings to not let anyone see your details, not even friends.

The only sure way of not leaving any evidence is not using the internet at all ;)

A more realistic approach would be to set the settings to "no one" or use a fake name so you can still communicate with people and not be bothered by anyone.

I usually look at friends friends lists :eek: haha.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles

awwww shucks....i wanted your current address..............to give to phil!

15. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Mmmmm, PP, friends, same sentence :confused: ;)

16. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    I had all the privacy stuff ticked; and yeah it was probably some of the 'friends of friends' connections I didn't fancy. Anyway, I don't think it added anything to my life, so it's gone.

17. FFOUR

FFOUR F1 Veteran

Sep 14, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    I just add anyone and everyone, the more friends I have on Facebook the cooler I am....apparently.

18. fivesix

fivesix Formula 3

Nov 12, 2006
    Brisbane/Toowoomba
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    im your fan, it makes me appear cooler, not to mention the women love it...

and to RB, no - they cant...

19. supersqualo

supersqualo Karting

May 19, 2009
    Western Australia
    facebook...................argh!!!

people can find you especially those irritating relatives, long best forgotten

20. AKA

AKA F1 Rookie

May 17, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John McCabe
    Never added me as a friend :(

Oh wait, I know why...

21. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I bought my own.

22. Paul308GTSi

Paul308GTSi Formula 3

Oct 26, 2008
    Queensland Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul D
    .......... quite right ! .................and it searches for other stuff. We had Facebook as an option for the basis of a uni assignment. Some of us found that if you play the "Mob Wars" game well (that is use your money wisely) you will start to get e-mails from banks and banner ads in FB promoting loans. Lets face it FB sells some information , , FB is not a giant charity organization set up to let everyone chat for free.

oooohh .. if you want to loose the ads from banks simply loose money, spend like an idiot in the Mob Wars game and they will go away mysteriously. LOL !

I think K needs to worry more if she has an American Express card , , we have been told they have all records for all transactions ever made , where , when , how much , time of day , what was purchased ..... now there is a database on your life if ever there was one.

:)

23. Paul308GTSi

Paul308GTSi Formula 3

Oct 26, 2008
    Queensland Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul D
    You mean I could have "friends" ???

WOW !

24. Aircon

BANNED