Toronto to California in a 400i: recommendations? | FerrariChat

Toronto to California in a 400i: recommendations?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Stefano1, Jul 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stefano1

Stefano1 Karting

Dec 28, 2008
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Stefano Bini
    Some of you may recall my inquiring posts some time back regarding the purchase of a 400i. I appreciated all the positive ideas and suggestions, took them to heart and am now about to take consignment of a beautiful silver/blk series I 400i. The car is currently undergoing a thorough overhaul by our friend Bret in Toronto. Once I get it back to California, I will post images of the final outcome and Granturismo's fabulous work. I will then let you know how the registration nightmare goes.

My Dad has now offered to drive the car back from Brett's in Alliston, Ontario (Toronto) to San Francisco. I can probably join him for a couple of days. What do you guys think? Crazy idea to drive a Ferrari 5500 or so miles across the States in the middle of summer? If not, which way would you go? Across the top, towards Montana and down, take 66 from Chicago to LA, straight across towards Colorado and through Nevada?

I have gone back and forth on this a couple of times...

Any must see spots as the car treks across the US?

I recall a post by someone who drove from Chicago south about the same distance, reporting no problems. Anybody else tried it?

Thanks in advance for your posts,
    Stefano

2. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    #2 aidanparte, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
    Congratulations on your new Ferrari! You would be crazy not to drive it back home. When will you get another opportunity for very long trip in Ferrari GT? I bought my 400 in Houston and drove the 1800 miles home to Connecticut in 2 days. It was unforgettable and the car didn't miss a beat.

I'd take in part of Route 66, but overall I'd probably try to stay in cooler areas where possible. Take lots photos for us!

Good luck!

Aidan

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I don't recall what work is being done. I'm all for driving it. However, if extensive work was done, I would put some local miles on it first to make sure there aren't any bugs that need sorting.

Regards,

Art S.

4. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    work being done ? valve adjust, wires, starter, w/pump reseal, front and rear suspension, headers, exhaust, (re)introduction of Cali emissions gear.

bugs ? well, in terms of a starting point this one is childs play compared to some of the others...

it was a very strong running car on arrival but without a service history and some obvious deferred maintenance...so, as i say, a peice of cake.

but working through the inevitable bugs post-service can really eat up the time...especially if it wasn't running (or in peices) upon arrival.

hard work and patience...that's it, that's all.

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Trailer it, all it takes is one failed seal or an overlooked component that should be replaced now. Not worth the headache.

6. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#6 Kds, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I think it sounds fun, just bring a map of all the mechanics and repair places along the way. In the middle part I think Southern IL/MO and Denver>UT stretch are the most fun.

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Unless the car has been driven at least 1K reliably since the service I would take Newmans advice. That said if you have some miles under your belt I see no reason why the cross country journey is not possible. I have done it 3 times in the last year and a half and there is lots to see and do.

9. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Brett,

It sounds like you did at least a major on it. Thus, I would agree with Rob's advice, make sure the car has had at least 1000 shakedown miles before heading across country(s). Even if you are perfect in your work, one of the parts you put in may be out of spec. It is better to discover this near the shop or near home, not half way across the country.

Alternately, you could take on the chore of putting on the shakedown miles prior to Stefano's arrival :D .

Regards,

Art S.

10. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Something to think about - the draw of..........
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=prrrVAthA3k

Not the music I would choose, but quite appealling.
    For some reason, I was remembering it as a Kraftwerk piece.

I'd probably go with the trucking, for the reasons already mentioned. No way I would risk such a trip with an untested (thoroughly!!!) new car. Get it to you first, then work your way into the long trips.
    Good choice on the 400. Congrats.

11. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    If you have a Dinoplex ignition system, carry a spare. If it's been converted to an MSD or similar, you're probably ok. Also, prior to the trip, remove the cover on the passenger side foot well, carefully check out the large white connector that has the large red wires going in and out of it, as 400i's ofter burn up that connector, and will leave you stranded and frustrated.
    Gary Bobileff

12. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    If i had the patients i would do such a trip....if bret gives it the thumbs up

I wouldnt sit in a RR or Limo for 3 days to do a trip...but im a princess'.....i get very tried of any of my cars after more than 3 hrs...and the noise in a ferrari even less patients if its long term all at once.

Congrats on the car, be sure to keep us posted on the outcome of the trip and with pics of course ;)

13. Stefano1

Stefano1 Karting

Dec 28, 2008
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Stefano Bini
    Great advice from everyone!
    It sounds like, at least as far as this chatroom is concerned, that the trip has yet to be done in a 400i?
    Brett: have any of your customers gone cross country before?

14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #14 ryalex, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    take the trip! make sure air works. if things go south there are rental cars and tow trucks. my 550 is still being repaired, i hope, after a 2000 mile trip three weeks ago. even witha problem the trip was great fun.

16. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    damn straight! :D

Ferrari Donk would make you the King of STL :)

17. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Stefano:

What did you decide to do on the drive vs. trailer delivery? How are you enjoying the car? Any pictures, news or stories that you can share with us?

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Just ran across this thread. I thought he drove it but someone told me he ended up trailering it down. Any word on the journey?

19. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    no, it didn't do the cross country drive.

i drove it to Fort Erie, did the required paperwork, sat in bumper to bumper border traffic for an hour and then watched it driven on to the transporter in Buffalo.

i wish i had of watched them strap it down though, because they 'secured' it by simply strapping the shocks and, by the time it arrived, the new bushings were ripped through.

when we attempted to contact the shipping company two weeks later, the phone line was disconnected and they were gone...
    incredible, they called me and i spoke to them they day it was picked up.

i don't remember the name of the company right now, but it was reccommended to me by another F-chatter...

20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I didnt know it was damaged in transit that sucks. Thanks

21. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    I drove a carbed 400 from toronto to naples florida many years ago. The car performed flawlessly but the drone from the engine at 3800 rpm was unbearable. After an hour of driving I was going to return home, needless to say I drove 16 hours to Atlanta on that first day and by day two I so numb I couidn't hear the drone. I was somewhat disappointed in the fact that this car was ment to be a long distance touring car and it wasn't. As for the drone from the engine 3800 rpm, (freight train like )

22. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Wow!

23. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    wow is correct, my wife came along and she still remembers those two horrible days.

24. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    yup, there is an inherent harmonic drone in 'our' motors at about that RPM...which i believe is due to exhaust flow rather than engine, per se.

obviously it was excessive in the example mentioned, hence few people notice it...even in their own cars.

i've done countless 'distance' drives in countless 365/400/400i's and the "drone" was no burden whatsoever, but if somebody was very sensitive to it, it could be a problem.

25. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day,

Try driving 700 or so miles in a '67 Chevelle Big Block 396 with 2.5" exhaust... now, that is a freight train...You know you are loud when you pass truckers and harley's and they wince when you go by :)

Cheers,

Sam