Duetto | FerrariChat

Duetto

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by UroTrash, Jul 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I know "Other Italian" is an obscure forum but I suppose this is where this goes...

I've been considering the economy, and the stock market, and Obama's plans for health care, etc and I have had a real adjustment to my expectations.

I have finally come to the realization that I will never have a 330 GTC.

Just not in my future, sadly.

Even with drivers at $150k and nicer cars at $200k, I'm just not there, esp considering what Obama is about to do to doctors.

So, with my search image adjusted for current times...

I'm thinking, I would like to acquire the best Duetto in the USA, or maybe get a solid car and restore it. Any leads appreciated.

2. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #2 zygomatic, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Beyond Clean - BUT - in Netherlands. '69 w/ 1750 - Spider Veloce rather than Duetto.
    http://www.prewarcar.com/pre1966/show_postwar_car.asp?car_id=209982895

'67 Needs to be much, much cleaner to Keep America Beautiful - dunno if it's 1600 or 1750
    http://www.thebiglot.com/auto_photos.asp?WI=2186489747&ST=CA&MK=ALFA%20ROMEO&PN=1&AT=1&PL=0&D=1967%20ALFA%20ROMEO%20DUETTO%20&P=J&PLOC=489747.jpg&R=17999&O=true&M=45,412&C=4&SP=California&

Another clean one has shown up on ebay recently from Illinois - owner pulled ad twice, though. - Seeing "beware" notes from around that Ill. neighborhood that the seller doesn't respond, etc.

4. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Are you talking strictly about the Duetto, or any one of the Alfa Spiders from 1966-on?

5. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    1600, Duetto only.

6. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Uro-check your PM :)

7. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Thanks guys.

I'll tell you,a nice Duetto is a rare thing.

I'm thinking it might be a nice resto project; I've never done that.

I'm thinking of letting my 997 ease on down the road, get the Duetto and a serviceable car for my 20 year old daughter with the proceeds.

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    There is a red Duetto in my area that I see every now and then, beautiful little car. Looks like a lot of fun.

Are you going to keep the Dino? I would think a Dino and Duetto would be roughly equivalent to a 330 GTC in overall value and running costs (and you'd have an extra garage bay for the 997 :) )

9. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Of course I'm keeping the Dino, you nuts??!!??

10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    DSM-IV says no....

11. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Ummm....righhhhhhhht..

As I said to the Scotsman in the see-thru kilt: " I can clearly see your nuts".

12. 360blue

360blue Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2007
    Hancock Park
    Full Name:
    adil
    If you are interested, give Michael Sanders a call at 253-335-6782. He has a fully resored 1969 Boat tail for sale. I recently bought a Duetto from 1967 which was fully resored and in excellent shape as well. In my search for a good one I was informed to stay away from project cars and try to buy a restored specimen as the cost of restoration today can run so high that you will be much more in the car than its worth. Adil.

13. 8339

8339 Karting

Oct 17, 2006
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Uro, My shop handles a lot of Ferraris and Alfas. I own 7 Alfas 4 of them GTVs and a 330gt 2+2 currently, Duettos are great cars, however if your real flavor is GTCs find the best 1750 series 2 GTV you can, they are truly a pocket 330GTC.

14. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Just curious, what do you prefer about the series 2 1750 GTV over the Series 1?

15. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Mini thread-jack - weren't these S1 GTVs branded as "Giulia Sprint"? Curious as most people refer to the saloon as the Giulia (which I guess is proper) and the 2 door as GTV.

16. 8339

8339 Karting

Oct 17, 2006
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Richard
    The series 1 1750 was the first year of the Spica mechanical fuel injection, there were some teething problems with those pumps. I'll come to the mechnaical fuel injection later. The S1 piston wrist pin holes were not offset causing excessive piston slap on the thrust side of the cylinder. The S1 had floor mounted pedals which necessitated two hydra-vac brake boosters. The S1 had the neat looking flying butress seats, which look cool but were not as comforatble as the S2 seats. Back when these cars were still somewhat new I got to know a few of the factory Alfa reps, who told me the S2 had the least amount of warranty problems of any of that generation of Alfas. The 1750 engine in my opinion has the best overall power, torque and rev range of any the engines. The S2 had suspended pedals, much more comfortable seats, a better brake system with one booster, upgraded fuel injection pump and offset wrist pin holes. I am partial however as I own 2 S2s, 1 S1 and 74 2 liter GTV. For me the S2 is a smaller version of the 330GTC, I still own my first S2 which I purchased while in college in 1974.

The much maligned Spica Fuel injection was only a problem because people didn't understand them, dealer Technicians, (which I was one) never spent the time to properly set up the pump during the Pre Delivery Inspection. 32 years ago I worked as an Alfa/Toyota Tech at a dealership. The PDI on a Toyota paid 1 hour and could be performed in 15 minutes. The Alfa PDI paid 5 hours and if done correctly took 3.5 hours and the car was then really correct and ran great with little or problems. Unfortunately, a lot of techs on flat rate took the money did a 30 minute PDI and walked away, the car was never really right after that. Jeez how did get into this!! I spend a lot of time correcting Spica pumps and have extremely good success with them. To me, the fuel injection adds another exotic flair to the car and when they are set up correctly run extremely well. Sorry for being long winded.

17. jmn

jmn Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    jmn
    I don't really agree with the above. I've had several (about 10 I guess) GTVs Giulia GT Sprints, etc, 65-74. By far, I believe the 1969 early 1750 cars are the best. The injection was simpler and less prone to failure (my '69 has an ORIGINAL single solenoid pump at 120k, and yes, I do know, because I have owned the car for over 30 years and I know the original owner). The seats are more comfortable, far better looking, and give much better lateral support for aggressive driving. 1969 was the peak year and those cars in particular appear to have been made without regard for costs. From that point forward, Alfa continued to decontent the car, cheaper seats, cheaper gauges (plastic crap), the two liter was a big step down from the 1750, etc. My '69 is the ochre yellow everyone loves to hate, but it got Autodelta cams, adjustable arms and some subtle steel flares early in my ownership and I have really enjoyed the car. I have had and still have a lot of cars, but only a few I that I've held on to for years. One is the '69 GTV, the others are a '58 spider veloce, a glass euro 308gtb, and a late carb Boxer. The '69 GTV is every bit as special as the others. The Series two 1750 was the first step down the slippery slope to the crap Alfa was sending here before they gave up and left.

18. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Wes Ingram has a great SPICA fuel injection book -- for those interested.

19. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    #19 Il Vecchio, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Thanks. I respect your opinion. I had a '67 GTV and miss it. May get another GTV, but right now it's a '67 GTV before a Series 1 1750 GTV. That assumes I don't win the lottery and buy a GTA Jr., of course. :)

21. Alfamilia

Alfamilia Rookie

Sep 8, 2009
    Stamford, CT
    Full Name:
    Michael Davias
    Greetings:

This is my very first post on Fchat! As the owner of a '67 Duetto and a '91 Spider, I can understand the motivation vis-a-vis a 330 GTC. The first GTC I saw in concours condition knocked me off my feet. Same Pinna nose job.

My advice (similar to one above) is to stick with a fully sorted and restored car. I am currently facing $10K just for a paint job on my nice '67, but when it's done I'll be about even investment $$$ with a #1 restoration car.

- Michael

22. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Dual circuit brakes is a very good reason to purchase a S2 1750 GTV over the S1. Mine is a euro one with floor mounted pedals (RHD) and I like these pedals ... different, etc.

UroTrash ... Alfa's rust!. Nothing else needs to be said ... buy carefully :).
    Pete

23. marco246

marco246 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2004
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Uro,

I've done one car restoration in my life and will never do another. It was a '67 Duetto, and it broked me from sucking eggs. Suffice it to say there was rust everywhere there could have been.

I know you said you prefer the 1600 to the 1750. The only advantage I can see in the former is the badging on the rear of the car is cleaner. The 1750 is the superior engine, either carbed or injected.

Regarding the GTVs: I'm on my third, a 1750 S2 with Spica. It's no 330 GTC (I've owned one of those, too), but it's a brilliant little car in its own right.

Let us know how your search is going!

Cheers,
    Mark

24. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Thanks Mark!

25. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    #25 freestone, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
    Let me start this up again...

I love the Alfa roundtails (the '66-'67 Duettos with the 1600 and the '69 1750)

I think they are beautiful designs and were very advanced for their time. They still drive really well and have a superb easy to use top.

I completely agree on buying the best condition you can - it is really rust you worry about especially in the floor pans which is the most expensive to repair (vs rockers for instance)

These cars are very undervalued - a nice '69 is $15,000 and the best condition show car around may bring $25-30k (well there have been asks up to $40k).

As to the debate between the duettos and the '69, the 1750 is an easier engine to live with and the brakes are better. Unless you know, it is hard to tell them apart (the rear logo being the most obvious).

The spica fuel injection is marvelous once set up properly and there are experts in it (like Wes).

Finally, there is the Ferrari connection as Enzo ran the racing program at Alfa pre war before he went and founded Ferrari. The 2300 and 2900 Alfa's are legendary and the best pre war cars.

I find the '69 to be as rewarding to drive as a Dino. And just/almost as stunning to look at.

I really recommend these cars.