Wife and I got laid off Wednesday | FerrariChat

Wife and I got laid off Wednesday

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Crallscars, Jul 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    Well, it has happened to me, Wednesday evening, the boss called first my wife in and a few minutes later me and let us both go!

Anyone know of a TV station that needs a Chief Engineer?......or simular type position some where out there?

Doug

2. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Sorry to hear that it happened to both of you at once. Awful, for sure.

Is there any chance of either of you doing some short-term gig-type work in between jobs?

Here is an interesting article for you:
    "Websites to visit when you're laid off"
    http://mashable.com/2009/02/19/laid-off-sites/

3. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Sorry to hear this - both of you, that sucks in a major way.

I guess my question would be what kind of severance did they give you guys and what kind of cash reserves do you have? How many months can you go without income? Months? Years?

The main thing I would be concerned about would be how long your health benefits are going to last and what will be the worst case scenario obtaining private insurance. How old are you?

If you've wanted to do something else in life, this may be the opportunity providing you have the dollars to spend building something new. Could be a blessing in disguise.

I saw this happen with one of my clients. They laid him and his wife off same day...I felt bad for this guy. That's a scary proposition even if you have money sitting around.

RMX

4. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    I have a good friend who is a news anchor/sportscaster for Fox in Vegas. I don't know if you are up to relocating but I could call and ask him if he knows if anything is open in his area.

5. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Sorry to hear this, it's brutal out there right now.

I've done some business with the local NBC affiliate, a few months ago they trained all the anchors and on-air personalities how to use cameras. Then they got rid of almost the entire camera staff.

I hope you guys find something soon.

6. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Found these on Monster:

Job Summary

Company
    Guardian Television Network
    Industries
    Staffing/​Employment Agencies
    Job Type
    Full Time
    Employee
    Job Reference Code
    528940701_1

Broadcast Chief Engineer
    About the Job
    Chief Engineer GTN-TV, a Cols, Ohio broadcaster w/​a local station & national network, is looking for a take charge Chief Engineer.​ Tasks incl.​ equip.​ maintenance-tape machines, automation, switchers, servers, UHF transmitters, satellite & post-production equip.​ Develop new systems, components & vendor relationships.​ Manage all FCC compliance.​ Familiarity with IT-based video environments is a plus.​ Full employee benefits, health, dental 401k.​ Please send resume to bhr3948@​yahoo.​com EOE
    This listing brought to you by The Columbus Dispatch and www.​columbusjobs.​com/​monster.​

Job Summary

Industries
    Education
    Job Type
    Full Time
    Employee
    Relevant Work Experience
    5+​ to 7 Years
    Education Level
    Some College Coursework Completed
    Career Level
    Experienced (Non-Manager)
    Salary
    73,248.​00 - 82,332.​00 USD /​year

Supervisor, Broadcast Engineering
    About the Job
    Mt.​ San Antonio College

Supervisor, Broadcast Engineering

Reporting to the Director, Technical Services, the Broadcast Engineering Supervisor assists in the supervision and operation of all broadcast production activities and presentation support services for the College.​ The Supervising Engineer trains, schedules, supervises and evaluates the performance of assigned personnel; directly assists in engineering campus television productions; works with students, staff and faculty on video productions; supports media presentation systems on campus and performs other related duties as assigned.​

MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
    Serves as the Engineer in Charge (E.​I.​C) for the College television production truck and the College television studio; The E.​I.​C.​ is frequently required to serve as the lead video operator for multi-camera productions and will also serve as a video tape operator, graphics operator and chief engineer for productions in the studio and on location with the broadcast truck
    Supervises the daily technical operation of the college television studio, college video truck, video editing facilities and the broadcast master control area; Assists College students and staff with technical equipment problems as needed
    Provides hands-on technical operations support for student, faculty and staff production activities in video editing facilities, video tape and disc duplication facilities, master control and satellite operations facility as needed
    Actively participates in the specification, installation, maintenance and repair of complex technical equipment used in support of the television production facilities, mobile television production vehicle, video master control facility, etc.​
    Provides hands-on technical operations support for special events both on and off campus as needed
    Supervises and coordinates other technicians and develops policies and procedures for the safe and efficient operation of technical facilities; Effectively schedules overtime to insure proper and cost efficient coverage for special events and productions
    Counsels employees regarding performance and takes disciplinary action in consultation with the Director of Technical Services
    Maintains equipment inventory; prepares, maintains, and reviews various records and reports related to broadcast and presentation services operations including purchase and service requests and time sheets as required
    Assists the Director, Technical Services in the specification, installation, maintenance and repair of classroom media presentation systems and supervises the day to day operation of the Presentation Services department
    Provides training and instruction to personnel to assure proper care and use of equipment and materials and proper and efficient performance of technical duties
    Learns and applies emerging technologies and advances as necessary to perform duties in an efficient, organized, and timely manner
    Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues, and opportunities
    Operates College vehicles and other related equipment necessary to perform duties of the position
    Acts for the Director, Technical Services in the Director’s absence
    Perform related duties as assigned

OR, if you're more into the Management of Television:

Job Summary

Industries
    Broadcasting, Music, and Film
    Job Type
    Full Time
    Employee
    Relevant Work Experience
    10+​ to 15 Years
    Education Level
    Master's Degree
    Career Level
    Executive (SVP, VP, Department Head, etc)
    Job Reference Code
    GM-MS

GM of Motorsports
    About the Job

Sportvision, Inc.​ is the nation’s premier innovator of sports and entertainment products for fans, media and marketers.​ A privately held corporation, Sportvision solutions have enhanced experiences for fans, media and marketing partners of the NFL, NASCAR, Major League Baseball, IRL, NHL, PGA TOUR, LPGA Tour, NBA, NCAA football and basketball, WTA, Major League Soccer and other sporting events on-air and online.​ The company has captured eight Emmy Awards for its products, including three for its signature broadcast enhancements, the iconic yellow 1st and Ten™ line and K Zone.​ Sportvision has also created very successful new media products that it distributes through partnerships with companies such as Turner Sports (NASCAR.​com), MLB.​com, PGATour.​com, ESPN.​com and others.​ Sportvision can be found on the web at www.​sportvision.​com.​

Position Description:

We are looking for an energetic leader to help create the future of motorsports programming across all media platforms – broadcast, interactive, iTV, wireless, gaming, etc.​ As Motorsports General Manager, you must have a proven track record of crafting a strategic plan and motivating a team to execute on that plan.​ Expertise in media technology and experience managing a team are requirements for the job.​ The ideal candidate will also have an understanding and passion for sports in general and motorsports in particular.​ You will be responsible for leveraging Sportvision’s considerable technological and business assets in the motorsports industry to grow our market share and position the company for future opportunities.​ Understanding the industry, the opportunities that technology can create and marketplace trends will be critical for success.​ This position will report to the CEO.​

Primary Role & Responsibilities:

* Setting budgets and managing P&L for the Motorsports Business Unit
    * Managing product development priorities and plan
    * Manage Business Unit team: Director, Lead engineer, Operations, Manufacturing, Media Production, Finance
    * Managing relationships with external business partners
    * Managing internal and external staffing and other resources
    * Sales and marketing activities, including projections, sales activities, marketing materials

Qualifications:

The ideal candidate for this job will have creative and production experience across a number of media platforms – broadcast, interactive, iTV, wireless, etc.​ We are looking for an experienced manager with the vision, creativity and rigor to help us grow our largest Business Unit.​ The following skills and attributes are also required:

* BS/​BA; MBA preferred
    * Management experience in television, online, video gaming, wireless, interactive television, fantasy sports or other consumer subscription businesses
    * Well honed marketing and financial analytical skills
    * Passion in and knowledge of sports; with a particular emphasis on motorsports
    * Must possess excellent interpersonal, communication and problem-solving skills and work well in a team environment
    * Strong track record of successful leadership; ability to lead and influence decisions through productive debate
    * Frequent travel required
    * Knowledge of the sales cycle and negotiation and positioning

We offer a casual environment, competitive compensation package, and excellent benefits.​

For consideration, please submit a resume, including salary history to https:/​/​home.​eease.​com/​recruit/​?​id=​296436 .​ Job Code: GM-MS

To learn more about our company, check out our website at www.​sportvision.​com.​ Equal Opportunity Employer.​

Mike in Kuwait

7. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Good luck Douglas and I pray that everything work's out for your family. I find it to be very ****ty that a company would layoff both of the bread winner's in a family especially on the same day.

8. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Sorry to hear about your loss. The local TV and radio stations here are thinning the herd as well.

This could be an opportunity to think "outside the box" and try something completely different.

You are lucky that you didn't work for a newspaper, that whole business is dying fast.

9. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    Thanks for the suggestions and heart felt wishes.

A few of the answers, at 56 going on 57 I will probably stick with this line of work, why I chose TV engineering is beyond me!.

I have a few months of house payments in the bank, I got 6 weeks severence, the wife (the former executive assistant to the General Manager!) got 5 weeks, we also got our 3 weeks unused vacation. And if push comes to shove, a Roth's and then 401K's. We have our house in Florida that is going up for sale immeadiatly and we will move everything to our weekend lake house. Any job I take will require a move, might as well get things started.

The wife and I do appreciate the well wishes from the group, means a lot!

10. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Doug,

best of luck to you.

Simon

11. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I think TX may have the best job market in the country now as their economy is still going strong

Good Luck

12. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    WGN in Chicago has been running ads lately for a variety of production jobs.

13. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Preserve your cash at all costs even if it means letting go of things that start to financially drag you down. Good luck.

14. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Don't spend any of that IRA/401K money! Times aren't getting any better for a while and you will need it later.

15. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Please keep us updated as to your progress. You seem to have the right attitude about getting rid of the dead financial weight.

Best wishes to you. The guys here at FChat seem to already be on the case! Let us know if there's anything we can do.

RMX

16. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Sorry to hear mate! :(:(

Good luck getting back on track!! :):)

17. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Another vote for the Texas economy.

18. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    #18 Stephanie, Jul 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
    Wow! Both of you at that same time? That's pretty cold. Sorry to hear this. :(

Best wishes in finding new jobs. :)

19. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Found this one in Fort Lauderdale:

https://sjobs.brassring.com/1033/ASP/TG/cim_jobdetail.asp?jobId=1071551&partnerid=163&siteid=5317

Television Broadcast Chief Engineer

WSFL-TV, Tribune Television’s station in beautiful Miami / Ft. Lauderdale, is looking for a dynamic, technically advanced and self-motivated Chief Engineer.

Position requires total responsibility for the station’s technical operations, including studio, on-air, news, remote operations, production, power and video/IT systems. The Chief Engineer will direct the development and administration of departmental operating plans, budgets and capital projects. Will direct and administer guidelines to assure the proper functioning and maintenance of all technical equipment and systems. Additional responsibilities include organizational effectiveness, staff development and compliance with all local, state and federal laws. The Chief Engineer will work closely with news, creative services, finance and all other creative and administrative departments within the station.

Candidates must possess sound leadership abilities, strong collaboration skills, excellent verbal and written communication and a proven record in project planning and implementation. Requires at least seven years broadcast technical experience and five years progressive engineering positions management experience in the areas of design, maintenance operation and staff management. Require a valid FCC General Class license and/or SBE Certification.

Send contact and resume information to:

CW South Florida, WSFL-TV
    Attn: Human Resources
    200 E. Las Olas, 11th Floor
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301

Email to [email protected]
    No phone calls, please.

Mike in Kuwait

20. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    This one is in Salt Lake City, UT

Chief Engineer Salt Lake City, UT Ad ID: 130826949

Address: Salt Lake City, UT
    Date Listed: May-26-09

http://saltlakecity.kijiji.com/c-Jobs-TV-fashion-film-Chief-Engineer-Salt-Lake-City-UT-W0QQAdIdZ130826949?src=simplyhired

JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
    · Able to manage and maintain complex integrated systems with minimum supervision.
    · Knowledge of FCC rules and regulations, applicable electrical, mechanical, structural and civil engineering methods helpful.
    · Practical knowledge of electrical, plumbing, HVAC and basic construction techniques helpful.
    · Maintenance and repair of all technical equipment in studio and transmitter facilities/towers, satellite downlink and microwave transmission systems. RF engineering knowledge a plus.
    · Design and construction of new engineering projects as directed by Corporate Engineering and project management.
    · Development, preparation, timely submission for approval and implementation of capital budges/projects.
    · Assist Regional Director of Engineering in development, preparation and implementation of operating budget and control of operating expenditures.
    · Preparation and timely delivery of required status information and reports.
    · Must be able to troubleshoot, diagnose and handle the tools necessary to repair studio/post production equipment.
    · Must be able to effectively present information and respond to question from managers, clients, customers and general public.
    · Must have solid working knowledge of Apple computers, OSX and related software
    · Must have solid working knowledge of PC’s, networks, routers, MS operating systems and application software such as Work and Excel.

EXPERIENCE/SKILLS REQUIRED:
    · Candidates must have 3+ years experience maintaining modern broadcast equipment.
    · FCC license or SBE certification a plus.
    · Must have strong maintenance, organizational, computer and people skills.
    · Must be able to travel, bend, lift and carry up to a maximum of 70 pounds, climb on step-stools, ladders and other necessary equipment.

Please submit resume with salary requirements to mailto:[email protected]

Read more: http://saltlakecity.kijiji.com/c-Jobs-TV-fashion-film-Chief-Engineer-Salt-Lake-City-UT-W0QQAdIdZ130826949?src=simplyhired#ixzz0Ln7sxnt9

Mike in Kuwait

21. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
  22. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Wow..hard luck. Sorry to hear that.

23. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I wouldn't say strong, but we've faired far better than most.

Sorry to hear about this. Best of luck to you and your wife. This is just a small negative for a much better positive.

24. vipermann123

vipermann123 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Full Name:
    Uzy Malik
    Best of Luck to both of you!!!

The economy should rebound within 1 year.
    Keep up your networking!!!!...and you'll find something fairly soon.

Again, good luck!!!

Thanks,
    UZY

25. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Mike should be in employee placement services that's for sure!
    :)
    BT