Ebay Collector Cars | FerrariChat

Ebay Collector Cars

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by cove26, Jul 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So I was browsing around on Ebay today as I usually do, looking in the collector car section of Ebay Motors. While browsing, I saw alot of prices for vehicles that were just ridiculous. Alot of these people trying to sell their cars are now in a time about 5 years too late. 5 years ago, they could have named their price for some of these cars and gotten close to those prices, if not getting full asking price. Unfortunately, I don't know if it is ignorance or people hoping for a miracle. For example, a gentleman was selling a Boss 429 Mustang for, get this, $429,000.00. This is nuts. Was watching Mecum and a Boss 429 sold for $195,000.00. Several Hemi Engine powered vehicles are still listed at prices that the vehicles were commanding 5 years ago. 427 Vettes still asking $300K when these prices have clearly dropped to half those asking prices. These same cars have sold at fractions of these prices recently. Going through these ads gets me frustrated at times. It makes one wonder, is this a real ad? Is this person trying to rip an uneducated person off?

Was wondering what others think about this issue. Has Ebay lost its credibility in the collector car world? IDK, just my 2 cents.

Mike

2. blackforestauto

blackforestauto Karting

Jul 6, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think more and more people are using eBay to gain broad exposure of their big ticket items without any real hope (or intention) of actually making a sale through eBay. Sellers (and potential buyers) have figured out that communication can be established and deals can be made outside of eBay once the two parties identify each other. This is probably one of the biggest challenges affecting eBay's long term profitability.

My 2 cents (with no seller's fees...)

Bob

3. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's a good point, I never looked at it from that angle but does make sense.

4. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Sounds about the same as a large majority of property sellers out there...

Lot of dreamer sellers... Lot of moron sellers...

5. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    +1 on that one. It's called fishing for buyers. We have a lot of them on F-ads too! Unfortunately, whenever I see an overpriced item, I get turned off and click onto the next one. It's nice to the see the photos, however.

Ace

6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    My company operate 2 ebay store one where we sell over stocked products, and products no longer made, the other which the proceeds go to charity where we sell returned samples, anf things employees donate to be sold. Ebay can be a place to get a great deal, but I have found many items on there that I could have bought for less elsewhere, so it pays to do your homework, and look at the sellers rating.

7. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Ridiculous optimists hoping to meet an idiot with too much money.

Muscle cars (and real estate) have been overpriced for quite a while. Ebay is an easy way to "go fishing" and see if any suckers bite. ;)

8. moretti124guy

moretti124guy Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael Satterfield
    I will never sell a car on Ebay again, it is such a nightmare, I went to sell a Maserati on ebay once...twice...third time the sale went through. Non-paying bidders are the biggist pain in the butt, because you have to file your claim, and then ebay takes upto 2-4 weeks to investigate the claim, and then after all that you get a refund on your fees. Two 7 day auctions took two months to sell the dang car, and that was on a 2nd chance offer to the 2nd highest bidder in the 2nd auction.