SLR camera question | FerrariChat

SLR camera question

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Juice It, Jun 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Never had an SLR camera and would like to get something faster and better quality than the normal pocket digitals I keep buying. I don't know much about cameras so any advice on a good SLR would be appreciated. I would like to stay under 1k if I can get something decent for that.

Thanks

2. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Any of the Canon Rebels are good or a Nikon D40/x/60/90. The standard beginner kit lens is around an 18-55mm, you can look for used and get a great deal.

3. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1 D-40X package from your local Costco is a GREAT start into DSLR - upgrade bodies later, then
    lenses. But very decent way to start off with lots of features and pixels.

4. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Both Nikon and Canon are adding some HD video to their SLR cameras. I have a Nikon D300 that I really like. But it doesn't have this sort of video capability. For lots of events, it would be good to have the ability to do both stills and video with one camera.

M

5. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I'll toss a vote in for the Canon Rebel.

It has the same imaging sensor as much higher end cameras. I had one in the past and it really performed like a camera 5x it's price.

I am partial to Canon myself... had Nikon before, but never in digital, only film, so I can't speak from any first-hand knowledge on Nikon digital stuff.

6. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Good move. When I moved from the pocket camera to the SLR photography became fun. Comsumer Report July issue rated the cameras. Nikon D90 was #1. On the downside the Nikon brand had the most problems. I've had Nikons for 30 years with never a problem. In Nikons I would look at the D90, D5000, D60, and D40. Be sure to pick them up to feel the size and weight differences. Nikon D90 and Canon EOS RebelXSi took the best pictures.

7. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I know the Rebels are great cameras and I am a Canon user today but I have never liked the feel of the Rebel in my hands so definitely try one out before you buy. I would really recommend buying a used one and seeing how you like it, carry around a big heavy DSLR is a lot of times not worth it for people. I sold my D40 last year with lens for $350 so you can easily get the cheapest thing possible and seeing how you like it before you put the money in.

8. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Ok, did a little research and think I have it narrowed down to a Nikon D5000, a Rebel T1i and a Rebel Xsi. I need to go see them today to see how they feel. I like the larger screens and the ability to take video but other than that I am lost on the real differences between these. Anyone have an opinion on these?

9. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Here's a web site that will answer all questions. Be aware on the Nikon D5000 that HD video recording is a maximum of 5 minutes.

www.dpreview.com

10. jeffashcraft

jeffashcraft Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2006
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ashcraft
    I bought a previous-version Canon Rebel on Ebay for $300 (or so) and a zoom lens at Target for less than $200. Very happy with the setup and it more than meets my needs.

11. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I bought a used Nikon D70 and it works great. It also grabs Ferrari red perfectly while my Canon G9 always gives me an orange - I'll leave it to an expert to explain it.

12. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Buy a D40 (not the x), and dump the rest of the money in quality lenses. Way better pictures that way than buying an expensive camera and then using the kit lens!

13. BrainchildF430

BrainchildF430 Karting

Oct 25, 2008
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    Aaron Schoenberger
    My suggestion -- Nikon D90. You can find one with a lens for around $999-$1,200 and it's an excellent camera. Plus, it shoots HD video. Once you get better with the camera, invest in different lenses.

14. Zahiba

Zahiba Formula 3

Mar 29, 2005
    Victoria, Canada
    Full Name:
    Malcolm
  15. swaq

swaq Karting

Feb 7, 2007
    Starkville, MS
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I bought a Rebel XSi this year and I've really been loving it. Great camera.