308 w/ 550 wheels? | FerrariChat

308 w/ 550 wheels?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Cooly0, Jul 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cooly0

Cooly0 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Milford
    Full Name:
    Jozy
    I was looking around. I saw someone post up and comment on putting 550 wheels on or similiar wheels. I was looking to do myself, but I hope only spacers are required? Any other modificaiton i need to be concerned about?

What's a good price for wheels. What sort of tire sizes are those; do you need a lower profile?

Thank you

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #2 GrigioGuy, Jul 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  3. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    +1. You need to have a lower profile. 225/40 fronts and 265/35 rears. You could get away with 245/40 for the rears but since the rears are 10.5" wide, you need to have a wider tread, hence the 265s to have some 'shoulder' around the rim edge... Good Luck :)

4. Yamaric

Yamaric Karting

Apr 7, 2007
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Richard Dalgleish
    You need to cut the rear rims down to 9.5" to fit the rear as Pizzaman did. Mark E's and mine are a full 10.5" wide but we both needed to redesign the hub, rear sway bar and suspension, as well as moving to a aftermarket Rear shock setup with a smaller diameter coil to make them fit. without cutting them down they will not fit.

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #5 GrigioGuy, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
    If you're not sold on 550 wheels you may consider 355 ones. I have 4 fronts on my 328, and it works fine with just Hill Engineering type 2 spacers and new lug bolts. http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158704

Cutting down the rears on a 355 rim isn't recommended due to the magnesium alloy. That does leave me with slightly narrower wheels than I had in the 16" but the tire size is the same.

I know Omar put 4 front 360 wheels on his late model 328 (different offset) to fit without cutting. Otis used a normal 360 front-rear set on his early offset 328 but had to cut the rear wheels.

6. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    My 285/35s still look too narrow to me on the 10.5" wheel, I would think 265 would be the absolute narrowest you'd want.

If I ever get my engine done and in the car I'm going to try 295 or 305 tires I think.

7. Yamaric

Yamaric Karting

Apr 7, 2007
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Richard Dalgleish
    Mark

I put 295/35zr18 under the rear, and imo they are perfect, will try to post a pic tonight when I get back home.

8. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    On my Trans Am I have 17x11s in the rear (which look enormously wide on that car - I like it) and I have 275s back there. I dont think they look wide enough. I could hardly imagine what that might look like on a 308 and it wouldnt be good. It needs to have a wider tire on a 10.5 IMO - 295-305 on a 10.5 would look ok, but still be nutso wide on a 308.

I would be VERY interested to see photos of a 3x8 with really wide tires like that.

PDG

9. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    That seems right to me. I was nervous about the wheels/tires fitting so I bought the 285s figuring they would give me the best chance....but heck there is at least 1/4" per side to spare so wider tires are clearly called for :)

10. Cooly0

Cooly0 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Milford
    Full Name:
    Jozy
    I think I like the 360's. So If I picked up 2 front pairs and a spacer I may be set to go? Would I need extended bolts?

What's a good price on 360 or 355 wheels? Should I look to wait until winter?

11. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Hi Jeff,

I did the full set with the rears being narrowed to 9. You will need a 20 mm spacer and 360 bolts that are 20 mm longer. The spacer should be hub centric, like the Hill Engineering ones sold through Ricambi. They also have the bolts. the rears should just bolt straight up with stock length 360 bolts.

Upgrading wheels on the 360 is so popular that you can almost always find several sets available in the classsifieds. My set cost about 1700. You may have difficulty trying to purchase just the fronts only.

I would pay particular attention to the condition, curb rash is costly to fix. Shipping wheels is not cheap, so consider it in your purchase decision. you may also be able to score a set of stock 360 bolts for the rear. If the seller has marginal tires, have him strip themoff before shipping, particularly if yuo are paying the shiping.

hth,
    chris

12. Glen_Lloyd

Glen_Lloyd Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 13, 2003
    Lloydminster AB
    Full Name:
    Glen
  13. Yamaric

Yamaric Karting

Apr 7, 2007
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Richard Dalgleish
    #13 Yamaric, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    here are a couple pics, i grabbed with my phone last night, not the best quality but it will give you an idea anyways.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Hi Glenn,

Before i did the big brake upgrade, i did the conversion to 360 wheels, with the 20 mm spacers and longer bolts. Pulling the wheels off and putting them back on was a bit of a chore, with the spacer rotating around or falling off while trying to get the wheeel lined up to install the bolts. It can get frustrating.

So, I had the machinist that was dong the upright machining and the fabrication of the e brake bracket drill a pocket in two of the spacer mounting holes, so i could install a cap screw with washer instead of the pointy little bolt that the factory uses to secure the disc to the hub.

This is a bit wordy, but here a few photos that will clarify the verbage.

Basically, it holds the disc mounting hat firmly t the hub, so the damn thing doesn't fall off or get misaligned. This makes it stock simple.

15. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    #15 chrismorse, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire