348 alternator removal & rebuild | Page 7 | FerrariChat

348 alternator removal & rebuild

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ernie, Mar 12, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
  2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Great threat there Rick. The more the merrier I say. This is what the Brotherhood is aaaaaaall about. Sharing info so that we don't get stiffed paying more than what it should REALLY cost.

Aaaaaaaah.................It's good to be a Stooge. :D

3. Organiser

Organiser Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    West Midlands UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Haynes
    Part # 156703 has now been replaced by part # 199830 (760mm), this is also the AC comp belt for the 355`s

Great thread Ernie, many thanks.

Regards,
    Phil.

4. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    348 Brothers! Just posting an update on latest on my alternator rebuild. If you want to see pics, you can check my Major service thread a couple posts above.

Ernie kindly put me in touch with the source in California for the USI regulator that he used. Ernie felt this regulator was better, since it seemed to have 2 extra ground straps. Since my existing regulator also had these straps, I wanted to get the USI if I could, instead of the Regitar that might work but didn't have the straps.

The Calif Source said he used to work here in Phoenix, and put me in touch with Rick at Turbo and Electric here, and said he knew that they could also get the regulator for me. Rick at T&E looked into this for me, and I visited him yesterday. At first Rick thought that what they had in stock would work, but after seeing mine, Rick saw the extra 2 straps and said those were leads to a capacitor that's included with some regulators. Not sure what the function and how necessary it is to have the capacitor.

Rick was finally able to crossreference directly with Nippondenso and order one for me from them. This was all he could find. Nippondenso usually stocks these, but was out, but they're due in again next month. I ordered one... since I can wait with everything else I have to do to get my engine back in the car. The bad news is that the cost is $100. But I'd rather be safe and get the proper one, and not have to worry about my old original one failing.... now that I have the alternator apart! :)

I told Rick at T&D that others may want to contact him to also order these regulators. They mostly rebuild turbos and alternators/starters, etc. mostly for the large truck industry. They also can rebuild if you want. I'll post their contact info in my thread, or feel free to let me know if you'd like more info. They do have a website you can find via google. Not sure.. they may even be located in other cities. I'll post final result of my alternator rebuild in the thread on my major service. HTH... ;)

5. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Whoa Nelly!!!

That isn't for the USI part???? I hope not because both the regulator and rectifier I bought from Unit II was $100, for both. I think it was $40-$45 for the USI regulator. I hope they didn't nail you with the daggon "Ferrari tax".

6. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    Not sure Ernie... we'll see when I get it. But I did get the Regitar rectifier, which was less than $20, so I think I'm at $120 total plus tax and ship. I don't think the Unit 2 guy wanted to take the time with it, so passed me along to T&E here. I mentioned to Rick, perhaps he could contact Unit 2, but this was all he could come up with, after looking for 15min.

7. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well if it's $120 for everything (regulator, rectifier, brushes, tax & shipping) then that's not so bad.

8. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    #158 FandLcars, Feb 15, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
    Hello 348 Brothers! I have some info to add on my previous posts in this thread about my alternator update, during my 348 major service.

I ordered the Regitar regulator that Ernie found, but after finding a local major supplier with Nippondenso sources (Turbo & Electric), I ordered an original replacement direct from Nippondenso for the original regulator. The Regitar doesn't have an extra capacitor on it (extra leads that Ernie mentioned), while the original does. After waiting over 4mo. with the regulator not showing up, I put the alternator back together with the Regitar. I'm sure it will work fine. I'll probably still check with T&D and may pick up the OEM if it ever shows up, as a spare. It is much more $ than the Regitar, though.

Also, I ran into the same wrong-sized belt problem that sspooner mentioned in this thread:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211000&highlight=348+alternator+belt

The new alternator belt I had came with the 348 major kit that I bought from Ricambi a year ago. As sspooner mentioned, mine was also too small!! It barely fit on, even without the tensioner installed! When I ordered the Ricambi kit, there were only 2 options offered.... Nippondenso and Delco, so I was not aware that Ricambi lists a larger Nippondenso belt for the "90A alternator". This belt is mentioned a couple posts above by GeorgeW.

At any rate, I decided to order the belt that worked for Sspooner in his thread, and it also worked perfectly for me! It was only $9.95 at Rockauto.com , which is the only easy place I could find it. It is listed, however, as a standard part in Dayco's belt lists. It's a Dayco Poly Cog #5050310. This belt is listed as a 770mm belt. Nice to also know that Ricambi has the 144909 770mm belt if the (apparently) normal Nippondenso belt doesn't work for you.

As a side note, I'm pretty sure that my car originally had a Delco and was upgraded. Not sure how that was normally handled, but when I removed my front timing chain cover, I found two driver's side studs that were about an inch or more too long. These both had an aluminum sleeve to make up this space for the nut, and I think the original Delco bracket fit over these longer studs. I've never seen one, though, so am not 100% sure. Can't see any other reason for the excessively long studs, though.

Best of luck with your alternator rebuilds!

9. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    Just a note for the DIY'ers

The tensioner adjustment bolt is NOT reversed thread. That is..TIGHTEN THE BOLT TO LOOSEN THE BELT....LOOSEN THE BOLT TO TIGHTEN THE BELT.

The issue I faced was not due to the lack of this information but I think its important to note.

My problem was caused by improper preparation of the bolts during the last service. No form of lubricant or corrosion resistance was applied to the fasteners prior to reassembly. Galvanic and general corrosion caused the tensioner cinch bolt to size. I rounded the *itch off trying to loosen it. Finally got it to go but the tensioner slider was (unknown to me) also siezed causing me to try using the tensioner adjuster as a jack. Guess who broke the friggen bracket. Luckily I'm in the business and know a few very capable welders.

Bracket fixed, reassembled with anti-sieze, and working good as new.

As an add on...I used a Denso #126000-1200 voltage regulator out of a Jaguar on the recommendation of a Denso engineer. Very similar (almost identical) operating characteristics. I've got the op charts to prove it. The original regulator Denso #126000-1500 is out of a 92-93 Toyota Camry but remains very difficult to locate and ridiculously expensive. By Toyota parts pricing, its cheaper to buy a new alternator than it is to buy the VR.

Lane

10. 50hdmc

50hdmc Formula 3

Oct 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    mark s
    Thanks Ernie for all your research...wish I had this post last winter, but I can update it again this coming winter...

11. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #161 ernie, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
    Actually you DID have it last winter, you just didn't look hard enough grasshopper. I originally posted it in March of 2007.

But now that you know what the parts are, you can have them sitting on the shelf read to go when the time comes.

12. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    That's what I'm talkinbout! Ata boy Lane!

And if anyone else has more to add PLEASE do so. The more we know the better it is for the Brotherhood. Every single little thing helps.

13. Tom_C

Tom_C Karting

Feb 20, 2008
    Raleigh area, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    #163 Tom_C, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
    Per Ernie's Request to add this from my original thread:

pulled the alt, took it to the local autozone, and they said the both the rectifier and regulator tested bad. Not being an alternator wizard, I still wondered how they could both be bad at the same time, so decided to take it to a local alternator/starter rebuilder, that specialized in Nippondenso stuff... They never could get the numbers on the alt to match up with anything in their system or books... Imagine that... Turns out my "slip rings" had deteriorated and needed to be replaced, and the brushes were worn and also replaced. They also changed out the bearings. Grand total for the repair????

$107

slapped it back in the car, verified charging at 14.2-3 with the radio on, and am on my merry way.

I guess the main point in posting this is that something didn't feel right when I had it tested, showing both components to be bad, so I decided to let someone who knew what they were doing take care of it. POSSIBLY had I taken it apart I might have known/seen that the slip rings were bad, but I probably wouldn't have known about the brushes, and def wouldn't have known about the bearings. And I wouldn't have known how to repair the slip rings. I would have changed out the reg and rec, and still had a problem.

Sometimes it's better to not throw parts at something you know nothing about, especially when the local pros are cheap.

Thanks Ernie for the writeup, although I couldn't remove the belt like you did. I had to get the alt completely free before I had enough slack. 30-45 minutes to get it out, 15 to put it back in.

Tom_C
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Tom_C
    Find all posts by Tom_C
    Add Tom_C to Your Contacts
    View User's Ads

#7 Yesterday, 10:41 PM
    Saint Bastage
    Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed Join Date: Jun 2007
    Full Name: Lane
    No Classified Ratings

Tom....You have a "harbor freight" near you. Couple of real cheap tools that are nice to have. A $10 dollar digtal multimeter will tell you everything you need to know about your electrical system. Not that in to electrics...They have a $2 dollar volt meter that plugs in to the cig lighter. Works great. differant color lights decide how well your alternator is working. Your repair price was nice and realistic. BZ to your alt shop, Good stuff.

Lane

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Saint Bastage; Yesterday at 10:43 PM.

Saint Bastage
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Saint Bastage
    Find all posts by Saint Bastage
    Add Saint Bastage to Your Contacts
    View User's Ads

#8 Yesterday, 11:35 PM
    ernie
    F1 World Champ
    Consultant Join Date: Nov 2001
    Full Name: Cholo
    No Classified Ratings

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tom_C
    Imagine that... Turns out my "slip rings" had deteriorated and needed to be replaced, and the brushes were worn and also replaced. They also changed out the bearings. Grand total for the repair????

$107

Suweet!

And now we have something new to look for. The brushes are pretty easy to tell if they are worn because they don't stick out as far as new ones. But the slip rings are something I had no idea about. Great update and thanks for the informative post Tom. Learned something new.

How about adding this to the rebuild thread Tom? That way the rest of the boys will have a heads up on what else to look out for. So that you guys know what the slip rings are, they are in the center of the alternator, are made of copper in our alternators, and the brushes rub against them while the alternator is spinning.

See kids, every little thing helps us out. So no matter how small it is please share the info as it benefits us all in the long run.

Back to Tom: Something I forgot to add. I was looking at just switching out with the Acura alt mentioned earlier in the thread, and the pictures Autozone showed of it had a different plug, so I'm not sure it would have worked. Lane, I've got a good Fluke multimeter, just need to remember how to use it sometimes... ;)

14. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Holy Cow Tom!

I just meant to add the info about the the slips rings. Hahahaaa!

15. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thx for the great posts, Ernie. My alternator on my F355 just started to act up so the timing is perfect. I'm just a little hesitant to do the re-build myself as there may be slip ring and bearing problems as well. As Tom said, it might be prudent to look for a good alternator re-build shop.

16. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #166 ernie, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
    It's really not all that hard Gary. Really it isn't.

The difference is that your alternator is on the right hand side, while our 348 alternators are on the left. But the removal is similar, though the last guy that did his 355 alt said that, the room is limited. However, you can replace the regulator and rectifier with the alternator in place, the brushes too. Whatever the case you can to the job yourself with it in, or out of the car. I like having it out.

17. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Ernie, another concern of mine - would you recommend replacing the slip rings, bearings and brushes as well? Alternator has 40,000 miles on it. Problem I have is battery light comes on and flickers off at abt. 3-4,000 RPM. I agree with you that I would rather take it out than try to rebuild in place since space is so limited. Your comments are much appreciated.

18. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    If you're pulling the alternator out, it makes sense to replace as many parts as possible. For sure, the brushes, but if you have the time and inclination, might as well do the slip rings too. If the rear of your alternator is clean and relatively free from signs of oil / water ingress, then you may not need to replace them at all. As for the bearings, I can't imagine they'd need doing. Don't know if these were Koyo or NSK on those alternators, but either way, very robust.

To be honest though, if yourlight is flickering and going out at 3-4,000 rpm, have you checked the belt tension?

19. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #169 ernie, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
    I would replace as needed. If you spin the pulley and it isn't smooth, or it feels like it has some play, then replace the bearings. If the brushes are worn down to little nubs, replace them. If the slip rings look worn out then replace those. If the alternator wasn't even putting out any power then you'd replace the stator and the rotor. No need to go over board on an alternator that has only see 40k. "Know what I mean Vern?"

But for starters I would would go ahead and replace the regulator and rectifier. They can be ordered from the link posted earlier in the thread, and can be bought for less than $30 for the BOTH.

I sound like I know what I'm talking about. Hahahaaaa! Dem is the real expert here. I'm just a guy that likes to do his own work and share what I've learned.

20. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #170 ernie, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
    That would be the very first thing to check.

Can you imagine rebuilding the alternator when all that was needed was a little more tention on the belt?

D'oh!

LOL!!!

21. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    Ha Ha! At least then, you'd have no troubles overhauling the alternator next time it really has gone wrong!

I remember tearing my hair out on a problem with a car once and after replacing a lot of components to no avail, decided to swap out the engine. One of the last things I disconnected when about to remove the engine was a High Tension Ignition lead, which fell apart as I pulled it................ Needless to say, I proceeded with the engine swap regardless! :D

22. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    Ha Ha! I wish! Despite the job title, I never got my hands dirty as I had no idea what I was doing most of the time! :D There is no replacement for experience, so I think the FChat team have a good double act with us! I'm here all week............ :D

23. Interian

Interian Karting

Jul 22, 2008
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Thank you for this great post. I followed the instructions and am back on the road for about $50.

One tip from my experience. Confirm which one of the NP alternators you have before ordering parts. The easiest way is to look at the cover when you pull it out. The smaller one requiring RN-04 does not have vents behind the outside screw and the larger one requiring RN-10 does.

I ordered RN-10 assuming I had the "newer" alternator because I have a 93. The part fit but then touched the cover and caused a short in the alternator. I then ordered the RN-04 and it was perfect. Would have saved some time and effort (and money on parts) if I would have checked to confirm which one I had.

Another option is just to order both. These parts are cheap enough considering the time and effort it takes to take out and replace the alternator when you do not have a lift. I almost spent more money on shipping, because of the second order, than I did on the actual parts.

Thanks again Ernie.

24. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Rock on Albert! Thanks for letting us know another do-it-yourself job as been successfully completed.

Hey, so now we have a nice tip of which rectifier fits on what.

Okay let me see if I have this right.

RN-04 = smaller housing
    RN-10 = larger housing
    The smaller one doesn't have vents behind the outside screw. I'm assuming you mean the screw that the cable for power gets screwed to, yes? But you'll still need to press out the larger 8mm screw and refit it to the RN-04 yeah?

Nice job brother, and thanks for the heads up on the rectifier sizes.

25. dkny

dkny Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    Full Name:
    dave
    #175 dkny, Aug 29, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
    Well, I am finally lucky, I get to rebuild mine now. Is there a single source to buy the parts or did everyone have to go shopping around?