The Official “Southern California 3X8 Two Day Run” thread! | FerrariChat

The Official “Southern California 3X8 Two Day Run” thread!

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by SoCal308GTSiQV, Jul 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal308GTSiQV

SoCal308GTSiQV Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This is a discussion / planning thread to make a two day run from VRC in the West San Fernando Valley up into the Mountains of the Los Padres National Forest via Ojai and HWY 33, spend the night in the small town of Pine Mountain Club (party a little / allot) and the next day drive out to the coast to Santa Maria and home via the 101.

The route has been chosen with your Ferrari in mind and the scenery will be beautiful the whole trip.

The date however has not been nailed down. I personally can do nothing until after August 14th.

One suggestion I have thrown out is Labor Day weekend as there is an Oktoberfest going on that weekend in Pine Mountain Club. Beer, Food, Music. But lodging would need to be worked on soon as it is limited.

This is just one suggestion. Please post the dates you’re interested in and we’ll see if we can nail one down VERY soon

I have put together a website as a central hub of information.
    You can see it at: http://www.cessationoflife.com/chrisfiles/twodayferrarirun.htm

The site has route info, hotel info, contact info, videos and pitcures of the area, gas station info and cell phone info.

All thoughts and ideas are welcome!

It would be great to see these cars out on a long run and have a chance to sip a beer with some of you!

Chris

2. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Nice website Chris, excellent. Looks like gas is no issue if fill ups are planned well. Cell sucks, I suggest bringing long range walki talkis, I have 2. We used to use them on "the K-fence death runs" back in '06 they should work out there up to 5 miles. Also, suggest water and tools (no different than driving to a track day). Vacation cabin rental could be cheap and fun, as long as we can find it at night after dinner !!

1) SoCal308GTSiQV
    2) RVIDRCI
    3) Chairpilot ??
    4)
    5)
    6)

OK, when? LaborDay could work for me, or ?

3. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Walkies are a great idea, one in the front and one in the back! No F Car left behind! I also have 2 short range walkies, 1 mile or so. Tools and spare tires are a must. Maybe we should add a "Check List" of things people should have. When I go 4 wheeling the 4x4 club has a check list everyone must have to go.

I'm fairly confident in my own car, I'm sure anyone who would go on a run like this would be as well. But you never know what’s around the corner.

This could be a real BLAST.

Here's a little story about this drive. My wife and I have taken HWY 166 out to the coast quite a few times. Both in our Ferrari and in her white Altima. Each time we have taken the Ferrari we have seen California Condor’s since this area is the California Condor Reserve. On one of the occasions we had the top off the Ferrari and we could see the birds more than a 1/2 mile away and then one of them swooped down on us like a dive bomber! I’m not sure if it had something to do with the car being red or what, but to see one of these Condor’s with a wing span wider than the car swoop down with in 10 feet of the roof line HEAD ON was more than breath taking! We had smiles the rest of the day!

HWY 166 is an amazing corridor through lush valleys, mountain passed, green meadows and over river bed crossings.

4. dromer

dromer Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Good idea and Sounds like fun. I will evaluate my schedule after Pebble Beach. Will keep an eye on this thread.

Thx
    Dave

5. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thats great to hear Dave!

6. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
  7. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I’m going to throw out the date of LABOR DAY weekend for this drive!
    September 5th and 6th, 2009.

Labor Day weekend is OKTOBERFEST in Pine Mountain Club and the festival is Free to get in. This year it will feature 87 vendors, various food styles including German cuisine, beer, wine, live music, dancing and raffles.

Leaving Calabasas Saturday Morning will put us in Pine Mountain Club in the early day, right in the middle of the festival.

Saturday evening I can arrange for passes to the private club house bar which has a dance floor, live band and discounted drinks. Live entertainment in the Condor Lounge is from 7 to 11 p.m. and the bar closes at 2:00 a.m. Dinner service at the club house is available from 5 to 9 p.m.

There is one small hotel in town close to the action and many cabins for rent that feature spectacular views of the golf course, lake, valley floor and forest. Temperatures will be mild.

If you’re looking for a fun weekend out and haven’t made plans for Labor Day weekend, come join us for a two day drive and a fun night out in the mountains!

Of course Sunday will be the drive through the Condor Reserve into Santa Maria / Coast and down HWY 101 past Solvang (Stopping in Solvang is optional if we want!)

For more info on this run including hotel and cabin rental pricing check out: http://www.cessationoflife.com/chrisfiles/twodayferrarirun.htm

8. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    This sounds like quite a party. Also, near Solvang (3 miles), is Los Olivos, the hub of central coast wine making, and a great little town to browse tasting rooms and art galleries etc. Lots of great food opportunities also.

http://www.losolivosca.com/

We could also head south from there over San Marcos pass/Lake Cachuma and make a stop at the Coldspring Tavern, off Stagecoach road. There is usually a crowd of destination bikers and car guys there on Sunday. They also have live outdoor blues bands and a tri-tip bar-b-que on Sunday.

http://www.coldspringtavern.com/entertainment.html

Then continue over the pass (nice road) back to Santa Barbara and the 101.

9. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Since Monday is a Holiday I don't mind partyin' on Sunday as well! Viva la Road Trip! It's like going on tour with the band!

10. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Things are shaping up well for this run. The trip looks like it will fill out nicely with fun stops along the way! For all the latest info on this run check out: http://www.cessationoflife.com/chrisfiles/twodayferrarirun.htm

The Saturday afternoon / evening at the Oktoberfest in Pine Mountain Club is going to be fun. Beer, Wine, Food, Dancing and raffles all the a mountain setting!

Come join the fun!

11. memiller74

memiller74 Karting

Apr 24, 2007
    Full Name:
    Matt
    sounds great guys, but i'm already tied up that weekend. we'll have to do another waypoint ride later in Sept and you can tell us all about it.

12. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Sorry you cant join us......Are you sure, because,....damn !!

13. hadley

hadley Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    lake forest ca usa
    Full Name:
    hadley mcgaughey
    Whoa! Sounds really nice. Thanks for setting it up. Let me see about canceling the Encore for that weekend. It's a 348 Spider.

14. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hi Hadley and welcome! It would be great to see your 348 Spider rolling with us! Please keep in touch as we put this together!

I know we have some 308’s coming; any 328's or GT4's to round out to field?

15. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    1) SoCal308GTSiQV
    2) RVIDRCI
    3) Impactco ??
    4) Chairpilot ??
    5) dromer ??
    6) miketuason ??
    7) hadley ??

16. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    #16 RVIDRCI, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey Hadley, long time. Haven't been to a drive event with you since that C&C to Pannini brunch drive in 07 when Armen rolled in with his 288GTO (now THAT is a serious 3x8) and I had just begun my supercharger mods (A short video of that canyon run below).

Your a world traveler and hard core Ferrari Party Viking, you should join us for sure !!

1) SoCal308GTSiQV
    2) RVIDRCI
    3) Impactco ??
    4) Chairpilot ??
    5) dromer ??
    6) miketuason ??
    7) hadley ??
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. hadley

hadley Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    lake forest ca usa
    Full Name:
    hadley mcgaughey
    Unfortunately, can't make this one. But thanks for making me aware of the area and the scenic route. We'll definitely check that out, and thanks for making me aware of Pine Mountain Club. Maybe next year.

Ciao.

18. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    No problem Hadley, hopefully we'll catch you on a future run!

1) SoCal308GTSiQV
    2) RVIDRCI
    3) Impactco ??
    4) Chairpilot ??
    5) dromer ??
    6) miketuason ??

19. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    Sorry guys. We have a family BBQ set up that weekend (!%#$@%$!). The best I can do (a long shot though) is hook up with your convoy Saturday morning for a few hours.

In the words of the great Italian car driver, Rvidrci - ".....Damn!"

20. SoCal308GTSiQV

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not a problem, totally understand, we'll drink your beer for you at the festival! Have a great BBQ. If you would like to hook up with us in the morning, keep an eye here on what time we are meeting up!

Chris

21. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    bump.

1) SoCal308GTSiQV
    2) RVIDRCI
    3) Impactco ??
    4) Chairpilot ??
    5) dromer ??
    6) miketuason ??

22. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    PM me the start time time and place then.

23. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    #23 RVIDRCI, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just don't get the lack of response here, man up, fellas. What up ?

I guess we will have to get "Party Viking" driving helmets (complete with animal horns, brass rivets, and Ferrari sheild logos, of course) for the hard a$$e$ attending (Chairpilot gets a "also attended" dull bronze one, unlike the highly polished platinum units for Chris, myself, and the others). JK, Bob, glad to have you for the pre-drive, at least, we will pm you the details !! I think Chris may be "on the road" so I want to keep this on the front burner, looks to be a real blast !

Road trip......anyone ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hey Lou guess what? I met one of your friend/neighbor on the plane today on my way to the Bay Area.
    His name is John Paul Gazdik, he said he knows you and he also said he's got an 80 308 with everything still original except for the tires. What a small world. I just thought I let you know.

25. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    COOL !, John is a neighbor, and a friend, great Realtor also, has a beautiful pristine original GTSI, nice guy !! But, the question remains, are you joining us, Viking ??