Mondial - digital clock, mats and cam seals | FerrariChat

Mondial - digital clock, mats and cam seals

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by redpony, Jul 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redpony

redpony Rookie

Jun 1, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    #1 redpony, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
    I have 3 questions regarding my 1989 Mondial 3.2.

- The digital clock with stop watch and lap counter doesn't work . The original is available for $500. The dealership I bought it from tried to replace it with 2 clocks from other Mondials they had on the lot but none of them worked. How common is it for them not to work ? Are there after-market clocks available at a better price?

- The original mats are not in great shape. Does anyone have a recommendation as to where to buy high-quality reproduction mats from ?

- On the PPI the cam seals leaked. The dealership indicated that oil was leaking from the water pump and replaced it. Said the cam seals did not need to be replaced. The car has less than 15K miles on it. Should the cam seals have been replaced ?

- Irrespective of the leak, should they have been replaced as a precaution in your opinion keeping in mind the low mileage ?

Thanks for the input.

2. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    wow

are you saying the leak stopped with the water pump?

15k is not low mileage for that year as miles can mean little in regards to time. Have the seals ever been replaced during its life? Somehow I'd expect them to have been serviced in its last major. BTW, when was that last major?

Sponsors here have mats....

as for the clock: Interesting.....mine is just a clock....it would be interesting to see a pic of you item.

rik

3. redpony

redpony Rookie

Jun 1, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    #3 redpony, Jul 24, 2009
    The mechanic said the oil leak was taken care of by replacing the water pump.

All of the belts were replaced, as well as the fuel distributor, oil filter and plugs and the thottle linkage micro switch was repaired. Fully tuned. Engine out. It was the car's first major. The car has only had one prior owner, who was was 72 years old. Owned by the dealer's dad, verified through carfax and other paperwork. He never took it over 100 kms/hour. The car is mint.

The actual mileage is 13K. Not sure what you mean by 15K not being low mileage. It's one of the lowest mileage Mondials in North America based on my searches.

I'll post some photos. Being trailered to me.

4. ZiFF

ZiFF Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2009
    '89 3.2?

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Cam o-ring seals on the 3.2 should be replaced during a 30K major service when the valves are adjusted.

Low mileage on old cars isn't all that relevant. As posted above, a 20-year old car is going to need new seals, hoses, etc.

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Sounds like your car may be a 3.4 litre? The engine wouldn't normally come out of a 3.2 litre car for routine servicing.

I think what SonomaRik meant is that the odometer doesn't determine maintenance/repair on these older cars. Low mileage usually means less wear on the internal metal bits of the engine, but pretty much everything else deteriorates as a function of time.

7. redpony

redpony Rookie

Jun 1, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    #7 redpony, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Engine looks clean.

Cam seal and water pump are somewhat unrelated so I don't see how your mechanic fixed the cam seal leak by working on the water pump. Even sitting idle in the garage, seals still age and can cause leaks. After 20 years, I wouldn't be surprised to see both the water pump and cam seals leaking.

9. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Neat Mondial Cabriolet 3.2 - nice purchase.

10. redpony

redpony Rookie

Jun 1, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    #11 redpony, Jul 24, 2009
    The PPI at the authorized Ferrair dealership I had it checked at indicated the cam seals were leaking. The mechanic at the dealership I purchased it from (different dealership of course) said the oil leaked at the water pump. He didn't replace the cam seals. My question is did they take a shortcut and what has the experience been on not replacing the cam seals on a low mileage Mondial that's been in storage for years ?

11. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    yup, that's exactly what I meant: thats why you are the author.

12. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    As to the digital clock, mine (83 Cab) doesn't work either. It can be set up, but after you turn off the ignition, it just starts blinking again. One day, soon, it's going to have it's little, pasta filled, umbilical cut!

13. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    FWIW, I have a Mondial 3.2 Cab that had about 15K on the clock when I got it last year. They performed an engine out major right before I got the car and the cam seals were done at the time. Seals wear out from age, not just mileage. It is my understanding that my Mondial had a leak from one of the seals prior to the major, even though the car had pretty much sat for most of its life.

Don't get discouraged. You have a stunning car and you should be beaming with pride. You will get this sorted out and can look forward to years of grins. As for your clock, you should be happy its not working. Mine works perfectly, and it is an absolutely useless POS. If I were you I would forget about it and save your money for the inevitable mechanical repairs/maintenance that come with owning a 20 year old car.

Congrats and welcome aboard!

14. RichardAguinsky

RichardAguinsky Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
    Your car should have come with all the records. See when was the last time the cam seals were replaced. The few hours it will take you to go through the history of the vehicle will help you estimate what needs to be done next. Your not looking for miles, you are looking for time.

In my case, the records indicate that cam seals and valve adjustment was done in 1999, about 18K miles back. That is about the same miles as your car, but only 10 year old seals.

The seals were not leaking when I replaced (am replacing.....) the timing belt, but I replaced the seals anyway. It is WAY to much work to remove the valve covers, so I might as well do it.

Even though my seals did not leak, there was a substantial difference in the hardness of the material compared to the new ones. Mainly in the O rings. (you need to replace the four cam seals and four big o-ring behind them).

To give you an idea, the 10 year old o-rings were the consistency of rubber in bicycle tires. The new ones are slightly harder than a gummy bear candy.

For now, just drive and enjoy your car. You did the right thing in changing the timing belts. If you see leaks in your driveway, then investigate it. As long as your new timing belts don't get oil on them, you'll be fine.

Cheers and welcome to the club!

15. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    Look at those exhause tips...are they red or is it the lighting. No carbon dust either. Nice!

Ace

16. redpony

redpony Rookie

Jun 1, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Exhaust tips are red. It's been lightly used. No exhaust marks under the hood or anywhere on the car.

17. redpony

redpony Rookie

Jun 1, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the info !

18. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #19 theunissenguido, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You can thake the clock out this way....
    With a knife you pull out the black plastic ring in front of speedo- and tr-meter. Look at the picture where to put your knife, red flash (between the black ring and the meters glas). Those plastic rings are just clicked on.The purple crosses are the places of those clicking points. Be carefull when pulling the rings, just click them out of 1 point and go to the other point. They are fragil.
    Both meters have 4 little screws. Remove them so the meters can be pulled and let them hanging on there wires.
    The clock can now also pulled. It comes together with the 4 oil-, fuel and temp.meters. When you turn those all together, you will see that the clock can be separeted from the 4 meters by loosing 2 screws between them.
    My clock is working, so until now...I have no solution for your problem. Maybe just a bad contact in the back of that clock, or a bad contact to the chassis.

Guido
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. redpony

redpony Rookie

Jun 1, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks, will have a look !

20. mondialmike88

mondialmike88 Karting

Aug 16, 2007
    Vancouver
    Full Name: