Am I missing something? Lexus content.. | FerrariChat

Am I missing something? Lexus content..

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by fish78, Jul 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    The Lexus IS C10 350 costs 25 grand less than the SC430, it about the same size and has arguably better performance...there are a few comfot items that the SC has that are not present on the ISC,but not much...its Lexus after all....what am I missing? On the surface, it would seem the ISC is the bargain of the retracto-top cruisers...

2. wendys is good

wendys is good Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2005
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Dont really have an answer, but hasnt then SC430 been around for a long time, like 8-9 years, when is the new model coming out (if ever)! It seems like they havent even had a refresh.

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You won't get the sympathy that SC owners get from Pontiac Aztek owners when people tell them they have an ugly car.

4. JM4re

JM4re Formula 3

Aug 21, 2006
    Nothingcouldbefiner
    Full Name:
    JPM
    #4 JM4re, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
    I remember thinking this exact thing when I heard about the IS350 conv. 304hp V6 from 3.5liters, ~25k grand cheaper, retractable hardtop, still a Lexus, considerably nimbler...SC430 been around since '02. 300hp V8 from 4.3liters, in dire need of Gen. II to come out with much better performance and I hear crickets chirping.

When the SC430 came out it was cool, trendy. The styling was pretty much love it or hate it. But it was something of a
    trendsetter (Nobody was doing retractable hardtops), relative bargain for its class, and at the time, easily rivaled the SL500, XK8, and umm well that pretty much comprised the competition in 2002.

It's dying a very slow death. Oh, well.

5. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    I don't find the SC ugly...way over priced, yeah, but not ugly...The ISC as a similar look at a reasonable price...more or less equal to the G37 but better lines IMO. It may not be the BMW beater, but again to my eye it looks better...YMMV.

6. alfalover

alfalover Karting

Jun 13, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    The SC is long on the tooth, and seems in limbo, but Lexus is hoping for a new model the year after the LFA goes on sale.

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    My mileage is varying a lot. ;)

8. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Based on looks alone (photo's),... I prefer the G37 Cabrio...

I haven't seen infiniti or the new lexus cab in the metal yet...

9. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    G37 looked really nice in person, haven't seen the Lexus.

10. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    The SC looks much better with a Continental kit and spinners.

11. 1SICKLEX

1SICKLEX Karting
    BANNED

Jul 26, 2004
    Everywhere
    Full Name:
    Mike
    As stated the SC is at the end of its model life and its the old way Lexus did things. When it was shown as a concept over 3500 deposits were made before it was sold. It has always been a limited production car 12k its first year and 10k after. It has been touched up but no significant tech updates outside gaining a 6 speed tranny. The engine is the old reliable 4.3 no longer used anywhere else. Still it is one of the best quality cars ever built and the interior is still amazing. Its an aging GT.

The IS-C clearly is sportier, it is faster and handles better. However its not as luxurious and doesn't have that special feel a SC does. Both are aimed at different buyers. The IS-C also offers "F-sport" parts.

The next SC will debut in 2011 as a 2012 model and will no longer be a one engine vehicle.

12. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    #13 agup48, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
    How much more does the SC weigh over the IS-C? I'm guessing it's also heavier. They look horrendous to be honest, really heavy looking compared to the IS-C. Are any other Lexus models going to get a F treatment? Would love to see a GS-F or a LS-F.

13. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

I had an original SC400 in the early90s and it was a badass car. Shame what they did to the SC last time around. I thought it was a joke at first.

The new ISC Lexus vert looks like an Avalon.

RMX

14. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Best explanation.

15. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    He said it.

She said it.

16. txdoc

txdoc Rookie

Jun 3, 2009
    GS-F is pretty much a sure thing. LS-F... that would be sick. I have heard rumors, including a new sportier version of the LS coming out in a couple yrs.