Car Stereo Head Units | FerrariChat

Car Stereo Head Units

Discussion in 'Technology' started by FarmerDave, Jul 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I'm no audiophile, so I haven't been following the advances in car stereo technology. I guess I never realized how feature-packed today's head units are.

Saw a head unit at Fry's that ingergated your bluetooth phone with audio and telephone, touchscreen for dialing calls, built in CD/DVD player that played the DVD movies on the head unit itself (albeit a 4 inch screen), and could accommodate SD cards and usb flash drives for MP3 playback. Only thing it didn't have was GPS. All for a hundred and fifty bucks!

What else can/do they pack into a head unit?

2. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Well, Kenwood had a unit that had a g-meter built in, Alpine makes a unit that plays itunes purchased/rented movies off your ipod. You got your HD, you satellite radio, bluetooth, usb, sd cards, gps...

3. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Dave, you're a single guy. You're looking for the wrong kind of head unit.

4. corvetteman39

corvetteman39 Karting

Feb 16, 2009
    Bartlesville, OK
    Full Name:
    Robert Bean
    #4 corvetteman39, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I put a Clarion motorized 7 inch flip screen, has all those options you spoke of as well, I like the Bluetooth option ok but you pretty much want the windows rolled up so they don't get to hear all the backround noise! LOL!! The touch screen dialing is pretty cool to, I didn't get the Nav cause I drove truck for 15 years and pretty much know my way around the US, I also have an option to have a back up camera, course I can also do the memory card, USB, MP3, WMA, DVD and sat radio. I beleive they also have some systems set up for sat TV now....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Why can't it be both?

CR this PM?

6. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    You could always pick up a Kraco at your local flea market.

7. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    or sparco and jensen at your local auto parts store

8. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #8 FarmerDave, Jul 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Installed last night in less than an hour. Of course I didn't bypass the DVD parking brake switch by tapping the pink wire into the black ground wire, because to do so would have been illegal.

The Bluetooth phone interface is touchscreen and sounds absolutely crystal clear even while driving. That's the real reason I bought a new head unit, along with the fact that my factory cd player had eaten a CD and wouldn't cough it back up.

9. corvetteman39

corvetteman39 Karting

Feb 16, 2009
    Bartlesville, OK
    Full Name:
    Robert Bean
    Now thats a nice set up! Pretty quick install to........I know you'll love the touch screen option.