Dyna Beads in Ferrari tires | FerrariChat

Dyna Beads in Ferrari tires

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by P400, Jul 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. P400

P400 Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2005
    east coast
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Anybody using Dyna Beads in their Ferrari or Lamborghini tires? Seems it balances the entire assembly. Would seem logical to use with dry Nitrogen charge as well.

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-100-dyna-beads.aspx

i am going to install some in my 23 Model T speedster (50mph max speed). To be honest i had never heard of this product. Only the gooey liquids of past. Slow learner i guess.
    Craig

2. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I have seen these used in some motorcycle applications and have not been impressed with them at all. The 3 biggest things I have seen with them is:

1. When you go to break the bead of the tire they end up on the floor of the shop creating a mess

2. I have seen the beads get caught in the valve stem when the core was removed preventing you from deflating the tire.

3. As the bead crash into each other and the wheel it creates a fine dust inside of the tire and wheel.

As for them truly balancing the wheel??? That is good question as at high speed they may balance the wheel and tire. But at low speed on a balancer it will show the tire out of balance.

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I have a decent understanding of physics but I never understood how this type of thing can move "directly opposite the heavy point". Basically, if you spin these in a centrifuge (tire) they will evenly distribute (more or less) around the outer edge. Unless there is a depression directly opposite the 'heavy point' there won't be any more beads there. In fact, the heavy point should pull the body of the tire out slightly more than a lighter section. The resulting low spot should collect more beads aggravating the situation.

So tell me, what am I missing here?

They shouldn't work AND they add unsprung weight out as far as possible on the wheel. Doesn't look like a great choice to me. Why not just buy a good tire that tends to be well balanced? That seams more obvious and clearly more successful.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Goodyear is #1 in Racing....

I agree with the comment, about just properly balancing the tire!

5. mike

mike Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike
    more snake oil...my 2c

6. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    What a bunch of crap.....

7. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Not a bunch of crap for Model T guys who do use these effectively. Don't forget that they are running wooden or fairly primitive wire wheels both of which are very hard to properly balance and keep in balance. Some of those Ts in roadster trim can do in excess of 80mph with no shocks, so anything that reduces any bounce is great. I wonder what the beads do to an inner tube over the miles, though?

Beads in a tire mounted on a Ferrari? If you are properly using your Ferrari, you don't have tires long enough for them to get out of balance ;)

8. Forexpreneur

Forexpreneur Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alexander Everhart
    Why not just fill them with liquid nitrogen? Reduce tire heat and the liquid follows path of least resistence, right? LOL.

9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    It appears that your assumption is that these work as claimed. I still don't see how the physics of the problem can work. Regardless if it is a Model T or a jet dragster these should settle the the farthest out point in the tire. Unless that happens to be aligned with the light spot (unlikely) it will aggravate the problem not mitigate.

10. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    I just had new front tires mounted on my tow vehicle which has 22.5" wheels that don't take balancing weights too well. The tire guy asked me if I wanted to have some balancing beads in there. I don't really see how they work either but they were cheap enough and I figured "what the F, maybe I'll learn something". It really surprised me when he just threw the whole bag in each tire without breaking the bags open. "After a few miles of bouncing around, the bags will break open" he told me. Well, driving back, I couldn't tell if the bags where whole or broken. It probably is BS. The new tires rode nice and cushy though (for a truck). Big difference between nice new compliant rubber and old hokey-puck-hard tires.

11. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Proper balancing requires both "static" and "dynamic" components be addressed.

This method ---- loose beads / particles in the tire --- simply does not work. Don't waste your time with it, and don't believe the line of BS the sales people are feeding you about this (and similar) product.

12. cletus

cletus Karting

Feb 7, 2006
    I've balanced 40 inch rock crawling tires with bb's, but as mentioned above soth static and dynamic balance are important in passenger vehicles......Dont forget the Turn signal fluid and the muffler bearings when you order!!

13. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Just wondering: Do you recommend synthetic turn-signal fluid?

14. cletus

cletus Karting

Feb 7, 2006
    Turn signals definately get Synthetic, but the reverse lights only get convertional, as they are used rarely and only for short periods of time!!