Preservation | FerrariChat

Preservation

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Melvok, Jul 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #1 Melvok, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
    Thanx to Robert we were able to see how we may have to deal with rust in a Testarossa... (Click here)

Brings me to a (probably new) thread: how to preserve a TR ...

What do we use, wax or .....

Please shoot... :-O)

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #2 Melvok, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I meant drain hole of course... anyone who knows something about them ?

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #4 Melvok, Jul 25, 2009
  5. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Dude.. great info and pics.. but.. you park your Ferrari on a oriental rug? lol

R

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Yes, isn't it nice ? Looks nice on the black tiles ! :-O) !

7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #7 Melvok, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
    I noticed: 220 views already on this Topic............... but NO replies ....?

Did I say anything wrong or............. :-O) ...?

How is the preservation of YOUR Ferrari..... or do you bring it just to the F Shop....?

Or is it just Holidays.... (is so overhere....)

8. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    A little overkill IMO. The car comes with galvinized panels, not to mention most folks keep ther cars garaged and usually don't drive on rainy days or on salty roads, hence little need for the body wax. However if it makes you feel comfortable, then by all means you have done what is right for you and your car. Roberts TR's were somewhat of project cars that he has brought back from the dead, hence the rusting issue which is not typical of most TR's I have seen.

9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Thanx Jay, I do realise that the cars are treated like real horses indeed...

Mine also of course ...

I still believe that a fresh coated part is better off than a dry part....

But was there not ever a moment in which your car was (re)checked in the hollow parts during the last 10-20 years ? ?

10. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    I'm actually not sure where this came from? I have one project car and one great car, I would never call my red car a 'project car' but in saying that, if I find anything wrong with it at all, it's fixed to the 10th degree, not band aided over.

I certainly don't think my red car was 'bought back from the dead' just because it had a small hole where some body deadener fell out of it some years ago in England causing one rusty sill?

It's certainly one of the better Testa's in this country, and definately the most looked after.

11. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Rob
    Didn't mean to offend. I was under a different impression about your car from your posts, however I may have been misinformed-my apologies. I thought the car with the rust was your project car.

12. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    No worries Jay.

I tell you what though. When the day comes that I can get the blue car up onto the hoist for a look, I'll at least be well prepared. Having done this once it won't phase me too much to do it again now. Always harder the first time, especially on your 'baby'.

The blue car is out of Ireland and hasn't been looked after as well as my red car, but obviously that little hole allowed a bit too much slimy Yorkshire muck to get in. I wasn't pleased to find it, but I'm very happy with the results, especially knowing that I went the extra yard or two to ensure that it was all gone, and then fixed properly.

Some things you just have to do yourself eh?

13. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I sense a Testarossa restoration thread brewing-that would definitely be a first-and very exciting one to follow.

14. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Robert
    That silver wrinkle looks great. Which brand did you use?

15. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    WOW! Incredible work. Something about a super clean engine bay just makes your very well maintained car seem even more so! Excellent job. Wish mine was as spotless. Good insipration!

16. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    That's VHT SP205 wrinkle finish in 'gray' but with a misted coat of high temp engine alluminium paint over the top of the gray to get the colour right.

VHT don't make SP205 gray anymore, only black and red so I don't know what we are all going to do as from this point. I have written to them and told them of the plight of the Ferrari restorer, but unless they get a flood of letters they don't care, thinking it's an isolated case.

17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #18 Melvok, Sep 6, 2009
  18. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Holy Crap!

I hate this, everytime my TR looks clean, I see pix like these and well.....back to the garage.

Uzz, super top-notch work. You, Carguy and Brabus.....tops!

Wait, this the yellow crap I've been removing from my TR for the last 8 years !

I don't want it back!

I've been coating the complete underside bit by bit ( do it right....not fast ) with Eastwood rubberized coating....with a topcoat of Eastwood extreme chassis black.....looks fantastic....and OEM.

Let's face it. Ferraris are fair weather cars. Even if you drive them in the rain like I do, you really won't get rust. Most F car owners that drive them everyday live in fair weather climates like FL and CA. The up north guys basically have to put them away for winter.

I would hate to see an F car driven in winter snow/salt....the car is all crap steel with such open areas for salt to get into and start rusting everything.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

19. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #20 Melvok, Sep 7, 2009
    Yeah, you are right about snow and salt; thats why I published the oem guidlines...

But overhere we also drive in winter.....not as often but we do...

Gr from Mel in NL (Europe)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Caution:

When the coating dries out in a few years it may crack and pull away from the metal surface.

The resulting gaps can then trap and hold moisture against the metal resulting in an acceleration of the corrosion. This is why the OEMs have gone to a cosmoline / Waxoyl (sp?) system.

I too dislike the drippy look of the OEM 'stuff' and have partially cleaned it from the engine bay and suspension pieces. These 'out in the open' places are relatively easy to keep clean and rust free with a light wipe of WD-40 (rain is extremely rare for this car).

In interior areas I use LPS3 purchased by the gallon (any industrial supply will have it) and sprayed in the body cavities with an Eastwood Co sprayer (similar to that which is shown in the previous pics in this post). LPS3 is an excellent product but needs to be shot every couple of years to be most effective.

rgds,
    Vince

21. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    This company in Italy will make any color wrinkle finish you desire-

http://www.gasup.it/en/index.php?pag=privato

22. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    #23 Shamile, Sep 8, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2009

Dear Ferraristi,

The only reason automakers have gone away from the rubberized coating is cost...nothing else.

The Eastwood and 3M brands of coating are of high quality and don't dry out and crack. If you sprayed it to heavily and on a non prepped surface....maybe then.

I've had very good luck with the under coating....it only goes in the wheel wells, and underside....not the frame or open areas of the engine bay. For that, use Eastwood Extreme chassis black (satin).....really really good quality paint.

The rubberized coating was originally made by wurth and used on Porsches in the late 80's when they offered a 10 year rust warranty.....haven't driven a P car since then so I don't know what the undercoating is now.

Remember, I drive my TR as a daily driver in very heavy FL rains....no rust or even surface rust issues

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

23. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #24 Melvok, Sep 9, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
    @ Remember, I drive my TR as a daily driver in very heavy FL rains....no rust or even surface rust issues @

No problems yet..................so good luck !

But we have all seen the pics and have read the things that had to be restoredby Robert in Down Under land....

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250919

I have waxed my hollow parts to prevent this.

Gr from Mel in NL.

24. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #25 Melvok, Jul 7, 2011
    I'd like to continue again on the preventive measures you could do on your own TR/512TR sills.

All sills are protected OEM against sand and stones at the under side of the car I believe ...

Looking at my car's protective "bodysuite" (or what it is called...) it shows wear and tear of what it's called in english ...

We even could peal off some littel bits at the sills weldingpoits easily by hand....

So we took the 512TR on the carlift and inspected the under floor....

Most of the coating on the sills was O.K. but some of it was really bad. It was (Photo 5539 shows that the coating has too many holes )

So .... off we took it all, using a hot-air system and some scrapers.

Under the black layer, a white rubberish compond was foud and under that, the OEM red paint.

Caerefylly we stripped it of until the red paint, cleaned it with thinner and gave it a nice thin, new black undercoating.

Took us only one hour but now we know that all down there is now well sealed against water and dirt again. :)

Any one else had same exepriences ?