First drive in an NSX | Page 2 | FerrariChat

First drive in an NSX

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by xotik, Jul 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    #26 fiorano94, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    To the OP: Really a shame that your first experience with an NSX was not a pleasing one. The 91-96's can be an amazing machine if they've been properly maintained. Sad that cars such as the NSX can get into hands that don't take care of the car:(
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    I've always been a fan of your car:)

The NSX-R wing/painted wheels look great on the Formula Red.

3. xotik

xotik Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2009
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Not necessarily cross shopping the price point. Just comparing the NSX as a car in general to other "exotics" I have looked at. FWIW I have looked at a couple of 355's, and have been researching 308/328's and Lotus Esprit V8's. Keep in mind I collect American cars, and this purchase will be my first endeavor into the world of exotics.

My goal with this thread was not to bash the NSX, but rather to offer my opinion of the very first NSX I have ever gotten up close and personal with. I have owned an Acura Legend, a 3.2 TL, and a 3.2 CL type S, so I am sold on the Acura brand. THIS car simply did not "do it" for me. It was tired, clutch was weak, had the distinct roar of a wheel bearing going bad, and had a funny smell (probably a Katrina car.)

Having read the posts in this thread, I am definitely ready to seek out a better example for a second opinion.

4. Liquid Assets

Liquid Assets Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2009
    Cloud 9
    Im glad to hear that. Just a tip but the next one you do drive, make sure all the maintenance is up to date and if the car has BPU mods and a nice wheel and tire combo your in for a treat!

5. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    +1

6. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Yes Ferrari did respond to the NSX; in the 360 ! Look at the structures of both cars. It took Ferrari 9 years.
    The NSX was that groundbreaking.

Compare it to Ferrari's model of the time. Buy a $28k 348.

Cut the model some slack. Its 18 years old. The 91's 15/16 wheel set up is fairly dated and will feel soft in comparison with today's sportscars. Once again in its day it was the bomb. Car needs just a tad of lowering. Any sports exhaust gives the car some wickedness.
    And honestly; the car ,from the get-go, needed 100 more HP. The chassis/drivetrain could handle it. If it had it when introduced it would not just be a milestone, it would be Legendary. A Supercar equal to the F40.

Along with my Carbed Boxer, I think I will always have an NSX. The car is that good.

7. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I just sold my 95 daily driver with 50K miles and new clutch and timing belt service for what they are asking for that poor car in the pic. In no way is a mid engine sitting 6 inches off the ground just like driving any Acura. They are great little 30K cars.

8. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    NSX's are great cars. I had one for a while a few years back.

Down shifting from 6 to 4 with a 5000RPM blip was just heavenly. Great cars for DD.

9. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I always liked this car as well. Not unlike the S2000, you can get them cheap and they'll run 4-ever if maintained.

Bad thing is, many of these have been modded atrociously. I prefer stock - maybe an upgrade to the later rim style, but no need to do anything else.

10. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    +4

11. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    That might be going a bit far

12. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

"NSX's are great cars. I had one for a while a few years back.

Down shifting from 6 to 4 with a 5000RPM blip was just heavenly. Great cars for DD."
    Yes and easy to drive, just get in and go...no gate shifters to worry about, no buttons to push, good visibility.....

13. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I had a mint '92 NSX and a Testarossa, the NSX felt just as fast up to 100mph.

Almost everyone in the street thought it was a Ferrari and girls actually liked the lines over the 328GTS that I had.

It drove as good and entertaining as a 328 or Testarossa but it didn't have the same engine sound, too bad.

I still think that I'd rather buy me a NSX for $40k than an Audi R8 for $100k or a brand new Corvette.

14. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore

Well....isn't price the whole point? Or at least a major factor? Otherwise it's like saying: "hey, this Accord Coupe is OK, but I don't know why you'd buy it over a Maserati!"

Very confused.

15. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    If your going to quote me please do it within the context of the paragraph.
    Or do you practice the English Tabloid school of posting ?

16. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    Light Guy, is your car S/C'd? I've heard from owners that the car handles the Comptech SC VERY well. 75HP more to the wheel running low boost and it's basically a pure bolt on.

17. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    #42 fiorano94, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Thank you!! I 100% agree with you. I am on my third NSX, and have been daily driving this one for almost 10 years now, and just crossed 160,000 miles tonight. Yes, I drive...alot. :)

For a while back in the late 1990's we had a 1990 Ferrari 348ts with approximately 6,200 miles on it, all dealer services since new, all maintenance up to date, and it was a cherry car by all accounts in terms of owner care. Since the 348 was the car that Ferrari had out at the time of the NSXs introduction, only that (and the 328) are really fair comparisons to the NSX.

Having said that, I will tell you that my experience with the NSXs and 348ts (which we had at the same time, so we drove them back to back for quite a while) was of two cars worlds apart. The NSXs never once gave us an ounce of trouble, had comfortable and easy to use interiors that were well built, and everything worked. Always. The Ferrari cost tens of thousands more, left me stranded on the side of the road twice in two weeks, both power window motors failed to raise the windows without assistance from myself and a passenger pulling the windows up while holding the window switch looking like a couple of idiots, and the quality of the interior materials was sketchy at best. Oh, and the car leaked water like crazy in the rain (yes, we drove ours in the rain). Having to carry towels with you to drive a car like that in wet weather is just humiliating. Needless to say, the Ferrari was sold in less than a year because it was just too much of a pain. So if we compare a $28k NSX to a $28k 348.....well, lets just say that the NSX (even neglected) could probably still be driven across country. The comparably prices 348 would probably not make it across town, unless on the back of a tow truck.

Now, the Ferrari had the NSX beat in two very important 'car guy' areas. Sound and exterior styling. Ferrari seems to have the patent on engine music. That car sounded awesome when you ran it wide open. I love the NSX engine sound at VTEC, but the Ferrari is just beautiful when you compare stock to stock to keep it fair. Styling. Yep. Just park the Ferrari and stare. In my mind if Honda / Acura had gone a little more bold and had an Italian design the outside of their car, and the engine sound (with about 75 more horsepower), they would have made the worlds most perfect car.

So really I find myself where the poster above evidently is. I will always have an NSX (as long as I am alive and able to own a car), but will probably have another Ferrari somewhere down the road. Both cars are fun, and any real car guy can appreciate both for what they are.

19. JM4re

JM4re Formula 3

Aug 21, 2006
    Nothingcouldbefiner
    Full Name:
    JPM
    #44 JM4re, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
    Atrociously bad? No. Often overrated? Yep. Stylistically a lot better than most other Acuras (big acclaim, I know) and was certainly better looking than any other $55k car in the early 90s, but that's about it for me.

These F40 juxtapositions...Come on people! Even in 1991, a 270hp V6. Wow, how groundbreaking.

20. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
  21. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #46 4re Nut, Aug 7, 2009
    Congrats on the miles! The issues with the 348 are the reasons my first "toy" might be an NSX, i.e. the perception (reality?) that the NSX is far more likely to provide trouble-free miles than the comparably priced Fcar and my annual maintenance/repair budget will likely be limited. What are the these costs like on an NSX?

22. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Well - compare to the competition (normally aspirated to be fair):

1991 Corvette - 5.7L V8 - 245HP
    1991 Porsche - 3.6L I6 - 247HP
    1991 300ZX - 3.0L V6 - 222HP
    1991 Supra - 3.0L I6 - 200HP
    1991 Ferrari 348 - 3.4L V8 - 300HP

So a 3.0L V6 in 1991 making 270HP is pretty darn good if you ask me. It's 25 more than a much larger V8 (Corvette) and somewhat larger boxer 6 (Porsche). It crushes the same displacement engines in the 300ZX and Supra.

Only the Ferrari beats it - and all credit to Ferrari, a 300HP 3.4L V8 is hot stuff in 1991. Shoot, but 300HP 4.0L Lexus GS400 was hot stuff when introduced in 1998, so I'd say Acura had something groundbreaking.

23. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway

It was never about high hp numbers, but a daily driveable and max reliable car in a fun little package.

24. JM4re

JM4re Formula 3

Aug 21, 2006
    Nothingcouldbefiner
    Full Name:
    JPM
    Well I wouldn't even qualify the 300ZX/Supra in the same category exactly. The 911 I bet could've/did give a spirited run for its engineering depsite its 23hp deficit.
    The Corvette, really? 245hp? Is that true? That is kind of pathetic.
    The Ferrari, wins again :)
    What about the F40 (as others claim the NSX is worthy of?) 2.9l twin-turbo V8, 478 horsies is it?
    For that matter how about the BMW 850i? Much heavier GT car, sure. But a solid, gorgeous-designed 300hp 5.0 V12 for only about 20k more than NSX sticker at that time.

No surprise there. Asians are always their own cars' biggest fans. Well...themselves and usually people that don't really know anything about cars.

25. JM4re

JM4re Formula 3

Aug 21, 2006
    Nothingcouldbefiner
    Full Name:
    JPM
    #50 JM4re, Aug 7, 2009
    This certainly seemed to become the mantra of NSX owners/fans toward the end of its life cycle. Kind of embarassing that it Never made horsepower hitting 300 even 14 years after its launch when they still had the audacity to charge 90k for them.

Look, what I'm saying is, it was fairly well-deserved in its popularity and praise for about its first 2-3 years, and it was showered with praise during that time. But IMO, it was a total flash in the pan because it never either improved upon/replicated that success while ALL the others starkly (Corvette/Porsche/Ferrari/Lotus) surpassed them. That's why I say they were heavily overrated. Acura had no 2nd act and after its "Gen 2" model came out with a refreshment of fascia and rear-end but essentially no engine upgrades to be found, the numbers then began to look kind of insulting.

Hope this clarifies. Early on, it earned the respect of its peers but the NSX brand has been trampled over the test of time. Flame on, ye loyalists.