HELP NEEDED IN SAN LUIS OBISPO | FerrariChat

HELP NEEDED IN SAN LUIS OBISPO

Discussion in '360/430' started by wannahaveone, Jul 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wannahaveone

wannahaveone Rookie

Jul 22, 2009
    Los Gatos
    Full Name:
    Dan R
    #1 wannahaveone, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
    I am really considering buying the grey 2005 430 being sold there from the volvo dealer (I found it on autotrader.com) -- but is is apparenlty a story car, three owners, with not only a car fax hit showing front end damage, but also quite a few miles.

At the price I am sure it has garnered some attention from the community -- has anyone here looked at it, or know the real history with it?

Thanks a million, you guys are the best.
    Dan

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Just know that you have to take everything they say with a grain of salt and get an extra thorough PPI.

3. marcello2

marcello2 Karting
    BANNED

Jul 6, 2007
    HK
    Full Name:
    marcello pipes
    Just know that you have to take everything they say with a grain of salt and get an extra thorough PPI (cosign)

Get a PPI for sure.The car has a story.Trouble already! Beware

4. laudaman

laudaman Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Obviously, the PPI is a must. You sound like you already have a grasp of the lurking problems. Good luck. "Buyer beware."

Chris

5. Ferrari_Challenge

Aug 9, 2004
    San Luis Obispo
    Full Name:
    MATT
    i see that car all the time at the volvo dealer...very nice looking car. i haven't heard anything about it on here. that car has been at that lot for some time now. i'm sure its history has something to do with that.

6. wannahaveone

wannahaveone Rookie

Jul 22, 2009
    Los Gatos
    Full Name:
    Dan R
    Does anyone actually know what the issue is other than the front end paint work and miles??

It is damn near impossible to really do a PPI (including compression/leakdown) without transporting it to Santa Barabra?

If the front end truly is just a repair due an idiot driving onto a curb, and the mileage is just regular freeway driving....then what?

Does anyone have SPECIFIC knowledge about this car?

What should I look for other than the obvious?

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Start by PMing me.

What you should do is trust the old saying that ther are no deals on Ferrari's. If it don't smell right, it ain't. Good Ferraris are expensive, bad Ferraris are cheap up front and the payment plan is a killer.

8. marcello2

marcello2 Karting
    BANNED

Jul 6, 2007
    HK
    Full Name:
    marcello pipes

I cosign Brian Crall the most expensive Ferrari will be the cheapest Ferrari you buy you get what you pay for.

9. JustAl

JustAl Karting

Dec 23, 2005
    The car has been sitting there outside since Feb/March. On a purely visual standpoint the car looks nice and clean inside and out (including the bumper), the only thing of note was the brake disks are pretty much covered in rust. I would wager, as many have stated before, there is more than meets the eye since the car has been steadily dropping in price ever since it got there.

10. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    I highly doubt the noted rust on the brake disks are of any consequence. Surface rust is quite typical on all steel brakes that come in contact with moisture and left unattended. Regardless due diligence is certainly in order.

11. 4retr

4retr Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    David B.
    If you post this in the Northern California section you should get some insight/feedback on the dealer. My experience with them wasn't positive and I ended up completing the needed work on my own (the time and aggravation wasn't worth it in the end).

Good luck!

12. marcello2

marcello2 Karting
    BANNED

Jul 6, 2007
    HK
    Full Name:
    marcello pipes

+1

13. wannahaveone

wannahaveone Rookie

Jul 22, 2009
    Los Gatos
    Full Name:
    Dan R
    I got an inspection, drove the car, bought it, and couldn't be happier. It had 19K miles, but I did not want to pay a premium for a low mileage car since I intend to drive it as much as possible. As for some of the "feedback" received about the dealer in question, all I can say is that I dealt with Andrew, and he was professional, friendly, and honest.

14. tmachinery

tmachinery Rookie

Jan 15, 2009
    Andrew did the paper work on my 01-360 earlier this year, no complaints just took awhile but it was long distance so to speak. Ian Smith ( a dealer principal) was the person I dealt with on the purchase and I was 110% satisfied with him. To put it short he "under promised and over delivered", a rare commodity these days. Hope you really enjoy your car! Rick

15. marcello2

marcello2 Karting
    BANNED

Jul 6, 2007
    HK
    Full Name:
    marcello pipes
    #15 marcello2, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Enjoy Fatbastard
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. JustAl

JustAl Karting

Dec 23, 2005
    Congrats! I'm glad she'll finally be going to a home instead of sitting on that lot. Enjoy her in good health!

17. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Awesome. Silverstone on red! Looks great. Make sure you drive the crap out of it and absolutely, positively, do not save it for the next guy! :D

18. Chupee

Chupee Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2009
    Between Trust funds
    Full Name:
    Blair
    Very kool May I ask what they finally let it go for .. thanks and that was a BEAUTIFUL car . Enjoy

19. F114B

F114B Karting

May 25, 2005
    West Coast
    #19 F114B, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
    I wish I spotted this thread sooner... According to a reliable local source, I was told that the dealer (Ian Smith) has a few lawsuits pending against him and his company (all related to the cars) and also investigated by the DMV for the past registration fees/taxes. He used to give out the dealer plates to his close customers and let them use them for a very long time without registering the cars (ie, Enzo that he covered for 3+ years). He is well known in the area for selling the cars with questionable histories. My friend who owns a body shop, he has refused to work on some of his cars since they were so badly damaged.
    I am also a victim ans speaking from an experience. Please be very careful.....
    That 430 sat there at the lot of his father's Porsche racing shop for a long time and it may be OK since his father was involved in the original deal. But I have heard that the car was driven really hard by the previous owner. Many people looked at it (including some of my friends) and passed on it. I am sure that the car runs OK and price was right, but the car had a very hard life. IMO, there is a huge difference between the hard driven miles vs well cared for miles.

20. marcello2

marcello2 Karting
    BANNED

Jul 6, 2007
    HK
    Full Name:
    marcello pipes
    I heard bad things about this dealer also