How Utilitarian is your Ferrari? | FerrariChat

How Utilitarian is your Ferrari?

Discussion in '308/328' started by jimshadow, Jul 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    #1 jimshadow, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I know there have been threads on driving to Home Depot, grocery store, etc...in your Ferrari, but how many of you truly "use" your Ferrari for everyday stuff when you drive it? I run errands whenever I can in mine. I think that it started with the bike rack on the roof from the PO. He *used* the Ferrari whenever he could and I"m keeping that tradition alive. I've gone to Lowe's and filled it with supplies, thrown my golf clubs in it and driven 2hrs up to Michigan to play golf and even threw my new tires in it to haul to the store. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    That's a cool way to ferry your road bike!

Btw, has anyone installed a bike rack on your 328 GTS?

3. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I tow Maserati's with mine..... j/k

4. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    Case in point. Last Saturday had a scheduling complication. Coffee and Cars in South Denver, 50 miles away at 8:30 - 10:00. Wife and two teenage daughters needing to be picked up at Denver International Airport at 11:00, and not enough time to drive back home and pickup the SUV. Hmmm.

Solution: 89 Mondial t to the rescue.

Cleaned out the rear trunk (tools, and stuff). Removed the full-sized optional spare from the front boot. Top down. Attended the Coffee/Cars. Drove to DIA. Picked up the three ladies with three roll-aboards, and three soft carryons.
    Two roll-aboards into the trunk with two soft bags. One roll-aboard in the boot with one soft bags.

Four happy F-car enthusiasts enjoying the sun and open air motoring on the 50 mile drive home!

Perfect day.

5. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Not very.

Couldn't ever figure out how to have sex in it without breaking something on the car, or me. BJ friendly, though.

Doug

6. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    #6 FasterIsBetter, Jul 28, 2009
    You don't get more utilitarian than what Clyde did with his 308 for Birdman. He drove from North Jersey to South Jersey, picked up a propeller from a Caribou airplane that Birdman had bought for his father for Christmas last year, and drove it all the way back to my house for me to deliver to Boston. The prop was sticking out of the passenger's window the whole trip. Here's the pictures to prove it.

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    When she was here, used her everyday i could, rain or shine, on the track... on the public roadways.. on an iced over lake for car control clinic...

And yes, one day after food shopping somehow the milk in the trunk kinda took a beating and spilled about 1/2 a gallon of it (no way was is due to my driving 'style', nuh uh, no way LOL). And no, i did not cry over the spilt milk (this really is a true story). Just washed the trunk out, no harm no foul.

8. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Those are some mean loking tires in the back, Dulopp Direzzionalies ???

curious and thinking about it,
    chris

9. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Sometimes i will use it to visit a job site or pick up a roll of tar paper, (it makes the guys at the yard go nuts :), or just drive to the gym for a work out. Many trips to the market - nothing goes in the rear trunk.

chris

10. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    Tell me about it..........just the other day, my GF wanted to get intimate on my hood! I said no way, its aluminum.....
    Anyway, it can be challenging at times have only ferraris as your cars. I find myself only going to nicer areas to shop and dine.......no more slummin it..........can't do county fairs..........but if thats the only down fall......so be it.......

11. fgcfire8

fgcfire8 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Montpelier Va
    Full Name:
    Frank Castelvecchi
    Well I have to use mine for errands
    When was car shopping spec was for car that drove right, and could carry weeks worth of groceries or a couple teens in the back seat.

After looking at a bunch of new cars with no good answer at price wanted to pay, was looking at Italian cars, my first love, on ebay (primary search was for a Fiat or Alfa) and the Mondial 8 I found fit the spec better for less $$$ than a new hemi charger. When I showed it to wife she asked if i would drive it, i said yes and she said go for it.

So I call the Ferrari the used subcompact I drive to save money because they wanted too much for the new Dodge.

After almost 2 years of ownership I find the Mondial 8 and a 2008 Jeep Compass can cover dry fun and nasty weather each better in its own range than the Charger and both together are less money considering initial purchase price, taxes, fuel, DIY manitenance, and insurance. The depreciation savings are gravy.

At least that is my story and I am sticking to it.

And there is much joy is driving car of dreams.

12. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Thats why they made the GTS. Surfboard compatible.

Doug

13. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've been known to spend a couple hours an 40 miles getting a gallon of milk from safeway that is about
    1/4 mile away... but perhaps that doesn't count :D

Jedi

14. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    #14 Hans, Jul 29, 2009
  15. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #15 D.Mauro, Jul 29, 2009
  16. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1's. Took a short drive last night and they are very sticky! Dunlop markets them as an Autocross tire....I can see why. We'll see how they wear. The do not have a very good rain rating, so if you drive your car in the wet...beware.

JIM

17. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    LOVE the picture of the dogs in the Mondi! Especially love the shield on their collars. :)

JIM

18. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Hans,

Where the heck do you suf in Holland??? Is there a serious surf at northern Terschelling these days?

19. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Scheveningen. But that's mainly on long boards. For serious surf, we have to go south. Biarritz in France packs some great waves!!!

But the last time I was on a board has been nearly two years back - in Venice Beach, Ca. Sigh....

20. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #20 D.Mauro, Jul 30, 2009
    Jim,Their register names are Bella Ferrari and Dino Ferrari they go everywhere with me, and their are my alarm system.try and get in the car. They do not fit in the 308 with the top on Dino head is about 1 foot over the top when it is off.Dino just turned 1 year 90 lbs. Here is a recent picture of them.

21. Lenvo65

Lenvo65 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    Bergen Cty NJ
    I need to take pictures in the future but by Mondial Cab is a regular for trips to the local dump, home depot & lowes both, dropped off and picked up wheels and tires for my then daily driver Audi S8 in it. Of course it is the regular pick-up and drop off car for the kids getting to/from school when Dad makes those trips. With the top down there is not much that can't fit in the back seat.

22. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #22 JayO, Jul 30, 2009
    I used to take my Shepherd in my 328. It was a tight fit, but she managed to get comfortable. Granted mine is only 75 lbs. When she wasn't looking out the window she would curl up on the seat and lay her head across the console almost on my lap.

23. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Ah yes, Biarritz! Now there's a nice trip in a 308! Fantastic waves there!

24. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    I put them on my 328 about a month before a track day. The ride seems to be a little smoother than it was before with the Goodyear Eagle F1's, but they sucked on the track. Felt like my tires were covered in grease, and LOTS of tire roll. I think they are OK for the road, but if you plan on a track day....

My plan is to trash these as much as possible so I can get something else.

25. oliv928

oliv928 Karting

Aug 14, 2008
    France, Toulouse
    great subject,
    You, US guys, are very lucky because your cities and installations are born with car age. You have large roads in the cities and villages, large parking areas at any point of interest.
    For us, french, things are more difficult for evryday use of the very long rear mondial. I live in a small village, and there is a short U turn just before the entry of my garage. I let You imagine the stuff. i have to "manoeuvre" a lot before my car is in the way to the garage entry. When I bought the house, I make the entry in the garage larger than originaly, but still difficult.
    Imagine that, the first day i own the car, when arriving at my home I did hurt it on a street barrier !...
    I have installed a rear view camera, but it is not so good as it cannot cover the L&R sides of the rear. I will maybe install a "parking assistant" with distance detection.
    Also this village is in Mediterrannee cost, so at summer, parkings are always quite full everywhere ( shopping center, beach, harbour ....).
    Also I dont use it to go to the beach or to my boat at harbour, because I am afraid about the sun to pain the leather and about someone to still it.
    That is the reason why I cant use it everyday... I am sad about that.
    For this "bad reasons" I use the mondial for little trips around there, and sometimes for a shopping at choosen places.
    Also I think american people are more respectuous and do not touch the parked car. French are close to italian : they like to touch everything, and everyone. One day, the car was parked for 10 minutes in my street, and when i returned to it, my neighbours were chatting together, half seated on the car...
    Anyway, when I cruise with the cabrio topless along the sea, under blue shiny sky, all that little inconvenients are very far away, and I am happy like a little boy...