Anyone know the Rosso Rubino paint code? | FerrariChat

Anyone know the Rosso Rubino paint code?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rico, Jul 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rico

rico Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Bournemouth
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Can anyone help?

I am after the paint code for Rosso Rubino. My paintshop has one listed from 1978 > 1983 but I am after the code for a 1973 car. It may well be the same but I am concerned that it is different and the code changed in the time until 1978?

Very much appreciate any help.

Thanks

2. Telerding

Telerding Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    Santa Maria/CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Elerding
    Original Ferrari V12 by Bluemel lists Rosso Rubino for the Daytona (1968-1973) as 106-R-83.

3. lgrf50

lgrf50 Formula 3

Jan 18, 2005
    glidden salchi 106R83, this was used on 246&daytona, in the 70s

4. rico

rico Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Bournemouth
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Gents,

That's brilliant. Thanks for your help.

:)

5. Jaimediego

Jaimediego Karting

Sep 9, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Do you know the paint code for Rosso Rubino that Ferrari used on its 599 GTB Fiorano Rosso Rubino I've seen on a YouTube clip? The older 106R83 code seems to be a rather dark .. and much less metallic color than the 599 one. I'm trying to paint my 308GT4 with Rosso Rubino boxer paint scheme like another GT4 I've seen.. and admire.. for that not-so-pretty body style. There seems to be a wide range of Rosso Rubino paints! I need a code.. or I will be reduced to picking a close modern paint color.. so far CHEVY Red Jewel Tintcoat seems the closest (although all the modern reds are mega mica or metallic!).

You can see the GT4 I'd like to "simulate" on conceptcarz.com in the 1975 308GT4 category. It's the first pic on top left.. .

Please give any info you can.. I have to give the painter a code for the top color soon. I got a code for the black boxer paint area as 20-B-50 .. .

Thanks, Jim

6. hmfic1

hmfic1 Karting

Aug 15, 2011
    Scottsdale
    Full Name:
    Jerry
  7. Jaimediego

Jaimediego Karting

Sep 9, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #7 Jaimediego, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
    Jaimediego
    Rookie
    Not Subscribed Join Date: Sep 2011

DARK RED .. Rosso chiaro (?) color code

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aleventhal
    I have the original factory color chip book for a Series I. The paint was glidden slachi eurolac. The book does have the color codes but they will NOT produce a matching color using modern paints (not even close). The only way to do this is to find a painter who can mix the paint and get it to match by eye - in other words you need a pretty skilled guy. I am attaching a couple of pics of the chip book so you can get an idea of the wide range of colors available. If you see a color you like let me know and I will get you a close up pic.

Alex
    End Quote.. .

Alex: I don't know if you're still available here, but I'm trying to paint my car like one I originally rode in .. that I found pics of on the Conceptcarz.com website. [To see car.. 1975 308GT4 Dino Ferrari pics, top left dark red (rosso chiaro?) car on above site.] My car is blue.. metallic medium dark blue. While trying to find that code online, I came across this dark red/boxer painted 1975 308 GT4 Dino Ferrari (owner says it is factory painted that way - must have been about the earliest boxer painted GT4). It's the only one ever seen painted that color scheme.. by me or the owner! Now I'm trying to get a definite code/mix for that exact paint.

The owner has said he will either drive the car to a local auto paint store to have the paint computer scanned.. or send me the gas cover to use that way here. I'm running out of time to pick an exact color.. the painters are almost ready..and have basically no room for storage. I thought a factory paint code wud help, but your comment about old vs new paint means I MUST scan the paint .. to match.. right?

Also, we are uncertain (painter has no boxer type paint experience) of how to do the boxer paint. Is it true that the car must be painted entirely red first.. then, boxer painted over that area? Also, I've gotten conflicting info on boxer paint codes/techniques. One site lists 20-B-50 as the boxer paint code.. Another lists "(code 20.8.50 plus 20.T.380 matt lacquer)". Can anyone here shed light on this question too? What paint (satin?) .. and does it get matt clear coat?

Thanks, Jim
    559-240-4612

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #8 BigTex, Sep 22, 2011
    We have ONE Rosso Rubino 1977 308GTB member on here, but I don't recall his log in?

I think that's bad info on matching old Codes it CAN be done, you do have to know which manufacturer (Glidden Salchi is correct for '75 -'79) the codes are from.

PM our 'Newman' on the Boxer Trim and I think the second code os correct, you need to flatten it down some, but he knows how with modern systems.

Good luck. I want to do my #20405 308GTB and a Pininfarina Spider in this same color so I'm watching with interest!!

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I would not waste the time/materials painting color down to the rockers on a car with Boxer Trim, if properly primed...

Why would you do that??

10. Jaimediego

Jaimediego Karting

Sep 9, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #10 Jaimediego, Sep 22, 2011
    So you dont get a line .. or bump?? The owner of this original factory scheme said it came from the factory .. PAINTED ALL DARK RED first.. ?? [boxer black chipped areas showed the red!]

I agree .. it seems fading out the red beyond the pinstripe area.. then, painting the boxer black makes the most sense.

My painter thinks the boxer paint shud be first (?). I dont know enough about painting to think intelligently about these details!

Thanks for both your responses!

Jim