Old Farts and Corvettes | FerrariChat

Old Farts and Corvettes

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by cosmicdingo, Jul 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cosmicdingo

cosmicdingo Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Clemson SC
    Full Name:
    E Evans
    Howcum you always see middle aged dudes driving Vettes? They're always the same guy, (neck jewelry) and the same chick in the passenger seat, but with different names , heh.

2. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Maybe your seeing the same guy. If you ask me that stigma is long gone and getting old....

In the 70's and 80's I tend to say your right. Not anymore IMO since Vettes have become great sports cars. Down by me many owners have gotten younger and "hipper". But you have to remember most people who can afford a 50K plus Vette aren't gonna be 22....

3. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    I saw that today (in a C5)!! LOL!

4. 1ual777

1ual777 F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    The guys you are seeing are the Viet Nam era vets. The styled hair, around 50 yrs old. Imported cars were so rare and few that the muscle of the Vet was the car they could not afford. Now that they are older they have to get one.But I do know what you mean. They all look the same and have that I am late 50's but cool type of attitude.

5. corvetteman39

corvetteman39 Karting

Feb 16, 2009
    Bartlesville, OK
    Full Name:
    Robert Bean
    I beg to differ in my case, LOL!! I bought mine when I was 38, still have it. I am now 44. am half Italian, bald and with gotee, I do wear some nice gold jewelry but hey thats that Italian stereotype there, LMAO!! I had always wanted a Vette for many years but wasn't raised in a rich family so didn't have alot of money to work with til I started working on my own thru life. I have seen these Corvette guys that you speak of though and do know quite a few of them but as stated earlier, the vette is being occupied by much younger generations now to. C5's and C6's are mainly the spawn of the younger crowds now due to the raw power that can be achieved with simple bolt ons.

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    #1 fill out your profile so we know who/what/where you are.

#2 have the knowledge to identifiy which year/generation corvette you are talking about, and include it in your broad generalization....

Overall, yes there are major dark areas in corvette history and ownership starting in 1973 and it didn't stop until somewhere in the early 90's (No offense, I drove an 81 for 8-10 years...) As such there are a lot of $4500K corvettes out there for the socially stunted who if they can come up with the cash, can drive a "vette." That doesn't mean they know Shxx about life or cars or anything else, and they can tell the fatty at the bar they drive a corvette... big deal.

There are posers attached to every marque.

7. corvetteman39

corvetteman39 Karting

Feb 16, 2009
    Bartlesville, OK
    Full Name:
    Robert Bean
    LOL!! Good one! Your right about the $4500 Vettes as well, I've even seen some go for $3500! LMAO about the fatty in the bar as well!!

8. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    the truth is the truth...

Corvette has a long, positive and storied history in both american and automotive history. They also have a long and storied "guido" image that comes with the territory.

People are more or less proud of their cars... and there is nothing wrong with that....that's what makes car people car people. At the same point we all need to realise where each and every car fits into the overall grand scheme of things.

9. corvetteman39

corvetteman39 Karting

Feb 16, 2009
    Bartlesville, OK
    Full Name:
    Robert Bean
    I agree with you there, but I thought the guido image came with the Camaro Z28 era! LOL!! I am very much a car guy and do appreciate many cars old and new and every car I've ever owned has always looked brand new as I take very good care of my vehicles, maybe a little to anal sometimes.......Glad to see someone else knows a little car history out there to though.

10. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    ok ok. Flame suit on. Most corvette owners I see are a bit older. Another thing I always notice is that these guys never seem to "get on it". They treat these modern corvettes like they are rare collectors cars thanks to Barrett jackson.

11. corvetteman39

corvetteman39 Karting

Feb 16, 2009
    Bartlesville, OK
    Full Name:
    Robert Bean
    Come take a ride with me brother!! I'll change your mind really quick on that issue, I also know a few older guys out there that will do the same to ya!! LOL!! I still drive it like I stole it!!

12. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Deal! Next time i am in KC, I will let you know. ;). I will say though, my fchat friend Hamdog rips the crap out of his C5. I can't keep up with him on our drives in my 355.

13. corvetteman39

corvetteman39 Karting

Feb 16, 2009
    Bartlesville, OK
    Full Name:
    Robert Bean
    LOL!! Sweet I'll have to meet up with you guys sometime so we can rip together! Sounds like we could have some serious fun out there.......

14. aja

aja Karting

Jun 6, 2005
    pepper pike,oh
    Full Name:
    adam adelstein
    30 years old and i have a 08 zo6 i bought 2 years ago. Love this car it's my second one!

15. hotrod406

hotrod406 Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2007
    Grand rapids area,MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I'm 29 and I've had mine for a couple yrs already. It's a 71 though, not a C5 or 6.

16. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    For the most part I feel car owner stereotypes are true for all marquees.

17. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Watch out for

1. Handicap plates. 95%+ of the time, you won't want to be near this car
    2. 24 Valve labeled Ford Taurus. They couldn't get the SHO, and think they are Michael Schumacher. They aren't. (may substitute Ricky Wallace in for MS)
    3. Hybrids - They think they are the new King of the Road. Hands are always at 10 and 2, attention is in some fairy cloud.
    4. Body Kit Japanese econobox - Dangerous drivers. If they knew who Schumacher is, than they too would think they are him too. They make 24 v. Taurus drivers look talented.

There are other general rules of the stereotype insurance institute; but I can't recall right now. I should consult the handbook again.

18. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    If I had the camera earlier today I would have had the ultimate shot for this

C6 Vette AUTO with Handicapped plates parked somewhat in a handicapped parking space (given how large the space was missing it by 3 feet left was sooo wrong) parked outside of a pharmacy....

19. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    But you do have to admire the owners desire to hang in there.

Remember that Johnny Carson kept driving a white C4 Auto to work every day of the last five years or so of his career, rather than accepting the limo he was offered.

BTW, my Silver Dawn had handicap plates when I got it - would this have been more appropriate than a vette?

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My boss drives a flame orange Z06.....and he romps on it....

I'm ok with 'vette guys, there's three or four others in our branch office.

21. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Best to keep your colors intact, just in case something breaks out in the clubhouse.

Never know who is going to be able to cover your back.

22. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Picking up his Lortab and Soma.

23. vipermann123

vipermann123 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Full Name:
    Uzy Malik
    Also, keep in mind the CORVETTE is still one of the few high performance sports cars with an "Auto" tranny.

Great for the posers!!!!

24. hotrod406

hotrod406 Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2007
    Grand rapids area,MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I hate that.

The F1 trans has an auto mode too though and the new dual clutch units have wet clutches, similar to a true auto. Not much difference anymore.

25. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Saw a very late model Vette in a HC space this week, Albertson's @ NW and Easton, but there was a tag on the mirror.

They're a breed of their own, no doubt.

I've owned two, sold last one 10 yrs ago.

Wouldn't be caught dead driving any Vette except for a '65 or '66, w/proper colors/equipment.

The whole Ferrari ambiance is much more to my liking.