Top 3 Things to Do in Maui?? | FerrariChat

Top 3 Things to Do in Maui??

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by 4RE886, Jul 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4RE886

4RE886 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Heading to Maui in a couple of weeks just for a short 5 days - wish I could be there longer. Anyone have suggestions on must do things in Maui? Thanks.

2. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Do the sunrise bike ride down the volcano. They pick you up from your hotel at like 4am, but it's worth it. They take you all the way to the top to watch the sun rise, then you ride a bike all the way down to the beach.

3. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    I agree with seeing Haleakala. It is spectacular. I would also do the drive to Hana. It is a long drive, but the scenery makes the time seem irrelevant. It is a real treat to not see any hotels or condos for a day. Enjoy the warm sand and the blue Pacific.

4. mauispence

mauispence Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Lahaina, Maui, Hawai
    Full Name:
    Jim Spence
    1.Zipline at Kapalua
    2.Parasailing off Kaanapali
    3.(a) Chocolat souffle at Roy's in Kahana
    3.(b) Dive or snorkel or snuba Molokeni
    3.(c) Helicopter trip to Kalapapa Molokai
    3.(d) All day fishing trip on "Finest Kind" out of Lahaina

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'd add to that - dinner or drink at Mama's Fish House, especially at sunset. Also, do you golf? I think Lanai has some nice courses, you can take a boat shuttle over for like $30.

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
  7. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    My wife were there two years ago this October and did the volcano bike ride. Beautiful...

Did the road to Hana... Rent a convertible and leave at sunrise. Take your time...

I took a day and hopped a plane to Honolulu and spent the day checking out Pearl Harbor. It's quite an amazing site if your into historical events.

Most important thing to do: Take your time and soak it in.

8. ZiFF

ZiFF Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2009
    When we went, my wife really wanted to go to Mama's Fish House, I resisted because I thought for sure it would be just another overpriced, overrated restaurant.

But it really was a great dinner, great ambiance and location. (Still arguably overpriced, tho).

I think the Road to Hana really is overrated. I'd never do that again. It would be ok if it were half the distance, but it's just too much driving and too much of the same. Very twisty, too, which isn't huge fun in a rental car.

9. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Most things there are expensive for obvious reasons. We just got back last week. We brought the kids on this trip, so we definitely didn't do Hana with them as they are too young. We did go to Napili Bay, which was cool (there's a ton of giant sea turtles and aquatic life that's easy to see) - the kids loved that, and if you are into snorkeling, it's cool for adults as well!

10. 4RE886

4RE886 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks for the advice guys - looking forward to a great time!

11. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I'm looking forward to go back to Maui! What a great place.

My input:
    Mama's fish house. Expensive - yes! Overpriced welllll?? I think 8 people with a few bottles of wine was ~300. I guess not cheap. We only went once - it's a treat. The desserts were incredible. Beautiful presentation.

Hana: Interesting. I think Charles Lindburgh is burried there? The road is nicknamed "The Divorce Highway". It's a long drive, and the road is pretty narrow. I wouldn't think it would be too fun in a 308, and in a rental car it's less fun. When you get there, the place is calm, and beautiful. The 7 pools etc. Definately something to see.

Haleakala: I didn't bike it, I drove but I think it would be cool to pedal up it as well as cruise down. Looks pretty barren up there. To coast down seems like a blast!

Molokini: I think this is a must! I heard it's one of the best dive/snorkel reefs in the world.

Spirit of America II sail: I loved it! You get into the open ocean for a short spell. Pretty aggressive sailing experience. Awsome!!

Also, the Pacific Whale Foundation events are very well run, and the funds help the wildlife.

N-joy!! :) :) :) :)

12. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    My Top Three:

1. Learn to surf - take a surfing lesson in the early afternoon, there are great instructors in the phone book.

2. Mt. Haleakala - if the early-morning, bicycle-coasting trip isn't your thing, there's still the observation areas on the top that are a must-see. Watch out for the free-range cows on the ride up/down....Check-out the GEODSS Telescopes at the summit, watch the sun rise, then cruise down for a late breakfast somewhere 'local'.

3. Old Town Lahaina Pub-Crawl and food-grab.....

BTW, try the Molokai MuleSkinner coffee.

13. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yes, this is a lot fun too!

14. nickm

nickm Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Ventura Ca.
    #14 nickm, Dec 2, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
    *Powered glider flight, just north of Hanna is great (if the guy is still doing it). The views are unbelievable... and the dead silence up there is pretty neat.

*Cave spelunking just north of Hanna is pretty cool too. One of those things you might never imagine yourself doing. Imagine going under the island and walking/crawling through former lava tubes. A once in a life time opportunity.

*ATV rides in upcounty are awesome. You'll get to see some views you'd never imagine existed in Maui. Then you can visit the winery while you're there. We had cardinals (the bird) sitting on a picnic table 2 feet away from us while eating lunch across the street from the winery. Kinda cool.

*Horseback riding into the crater of Haliakala... you'll swear your on some other planet. Pretty unforgettable. Lasts almost an entire day.

*Take a drive way up north (on the west coast side) till you cant drive anymore... and have a shaved ice at the end of the road.
    You'll see a super small picture-post-card village that is drop dead beautiful.

*A little hike into that valley where everyone was killed and the river ran red with blood. Is that Ioa valley, or something like that?
    Pretty classic Maui hike, & nice way to spend an hour or two. While your near that area of the island, you can tour the fruit/pinapple/coffee area up in the hills near there.

*As lame as this may sound... go swim with the turtles down south of Kehei... that was fun & saw about 20 of them one morning.

*The powered boat ride is awesome (out of the marina) and we took the tour that went south of Kehei... drive into the cave wile the waters rushing into it... then haul-ass out of it, while the water all blows back out at you. Saw a ton of Dolphins while on that boat too... also some nice site seeing of sweet houses sitting on the water (un-viewable from the island road).

*You can take the giant inflatable raft ride to the island right off the coast near Molokini (I forgot what the islands name is). The raft holds about 20 people... they'll take you to the backside of that island where there's some awesome snorkeling (I've heard it's now better than Molokini). I went to Molokini 20 years ago when u could feed the fish. Now you cant feed them & I've heard it's not 1/4 as good as it used to be. While on the raft ride we saw 100's of dolphins, & a mom and baby whale about 50-100 yard away from us. Once again... pretty neat experience. You don't get to see that too often.

There's a book that you cant go to Mauii without... I believe it's called "Mauii Revealed"... or something close to that. Go to Barnes & Nobel and get it. ;o) Have fun!!

*Been there quite a few times, and always have tried to do something "different" each time. All of these things were ALOT of fun. The powered glider & cave spelunking at the top of my list of fun... things I'd never thought I'd do in my life. Also... they're not the "normal" tourist things to do... (I think).

15. nickm

nickm Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Ventura Ca.
    *Powered glider flight, just north of Hanna is great (if the guy is still doing it). The views are unbelievable... and the dead silence up there is pretty neat.

*Cave spelunking just north of Hanna is pretty cool too. One of those things you might never imagine yourself doing. Imagine going under the island and walking/crawling through former lava tubes. A once in a life time opportunity.

*ATV rides in upcounty are awesome. You'll get to see some views you'd never imagine existed in Maui. Then you can visit the winery while you're there. We had cardinals (the bird) sitting on a picnic table 2 feet away from us while eating lunch across the street from the winery. Kinda cool.

*Horseback riding into the crater of Haliakala... you'll swear your on some other planet. Pretty unforgettable. Lasts almost an entire day.

*Take a drive way up north (on the west coast side) till you cant drive anymore... and have a shaved ice at the end of the road.
    You'll see a super small picture-post-card village that is drop dead beautiful.

*A little hike into that valley where everyone was killed and the river ran red with blood. Is that Ioa valley, or something like that?
    Pretty classic Maui hike, & nice way to spend an hour or two. While your near that area of the island, you can tour the fruit/pinapple/coffee area up in the hills near there.

*As lame as this may sound... go swim with the turtles down south of Kehei... that was fun & saw about 20 of them one morning.

*The powered boat ride is awesome (out of the marina) and we took the tour that went south of Kehei... drive into the cave wile the waters rushing into it... then haul-ass out of it, while the water all blows back out at you. Saw a ton of Dolphins while on that boat too... also some nice site seeing of sweet houses sitting on the water (un-viewable from the island road).

*You can take the giant inflatable raft ride to the island right off the coast near Molokini... forgot what it's name is, but the raft holds about 20 people... they'll take you to the backside of that island where there is some awesome snorkeling (I've heard better than Molokini) I went to Molokini 20 years aog when you could feed the fish... now I guess you cant & I've heard it's not 1/4 as good as it used to be. But while on the raft ride we saw 100's of dolphins, and a mom and baby whale about 50-100 yard away from us. Once again... pretty neat experience.

There's a book that you cant go to Mauii without... I believe it's called "Mauii revealed"... or something close to that. Go to Barnes & Nobel and get it. ;o) Have fun!!

*Been there quite a few times, and always have tried to do something "different" each time. All of these things were ALOT of fun. With the powered glider and cave spelunking kinda at the top of my list of fun... things I'd never think I'd do in my life. Also... they are not the "normal" tourist things to do... I think.

16. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I also recommend going to Hana, but when you get to the seven pools area, go to the other side of the road and take the 45 minute hike up to the waterfall. You'll travel through some great places including a bamboo forest. Ignore the warnings and go under the waterfall, the water feels great! Stop at the roadside stands on the drive and buy banana bread and fresh coconut.

Take the Cat snorkel scuba trip to Lanai, or to Molikini and turtle beach.

Helicopter rides are fun.

Do a Luau - Old Lahaina Luau.

17. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Wife & I just returned on Sunday from 8 day trip to Maui. Been there a number of times. Can't get enough of it

1) Sit on beach, watch sunset and vegetate w/appropriate adult beverage of course!
    2) Road to Hana
    3) Zipline

Food is great there

Cafe Olei
    Sarentos
    Nicks Fish Market
    Seawatch

Didn't do Mamas yet but highly recommended. Best to get there in the daylight to enjoy the view/sunset as mentioned above.

Also amazingly you can get excellent bottles of wine at the ABC stores for reasonable prices. I was flabergasted when the wife and I were there 2 yes ago and they actuially had Penfolds Grange on their racks.

No matter what you do there you will have a great time. Enjoy!
    Steve

18. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    makena beach
    bike down the volcano
    windsurf at spreckels

19. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I just got back from Maui, loved it out of Kauai, Oahu, and the big island. Hell, I wanna move there, never met so many 'Orange County' locales who now make Maui (and other islands) their home.

Molokini snorkeling, was ok, thought it to be over rated. Did it on Pride of Maui, then went to the turtle site near shore. Clarity was bunk (about 20-25 feet), but did see slightly better variety of fish vs. Molokini. Also saw turtles, way cool.

Did a snorkel trip (through the Pacific Whale Foundation) to Lanai, thought snorkeling there was significantly better. Saw bigger variety of fish, clarity was well past the 100ft mark, was quite spectacular. Boat ride home though was hella rough. Then saw spinner dolphins, also cool.

I did Parasailing and that was nothing like I expected. Dead quiet at 1200 feet (not even the wind blowing by) and the awesome blue water below, was very surreal.

Was staying near Lahaina, never got a chance to explore the rest of the island, but definitely coming back next year for sure.

20. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    1-relax
    2-relax
    3-relax
    have fun
    ed

21. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Play the Bay Course
    Play the Village Course
    Play the Plantation Course

Repeat as necessary

22. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    #22 dakharris, Dec 5, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
    1)Molokini/Turtle Snorkeling: The fish are amazing and we counted 12 green turtles. You literally swim with the turtles....if you are fast enough. We went on Trilogy because they leave earliest and arrive first so that you have the crater and turtles all to yourselves. http://www.sailtrilogy.com/ They also feed you fresh cinnamon buns, fruit and coffee for breakfast and a pretty good hot lunch on the boat on the way back.

2)I'O Restaurant in Lahaina: Request a table outside at sunset. We were there on the 4th of July and enjoyed the fireworks from there. They have a short and expensive wine list, so we had cocktails. Order the creme brulee...best I have had outside of France. http://www.iomaui.com/

3)Costco: Located right outside the airport, stop in on arrival and spend 30 minutes stocking up on drinks and munchies and gifts like macadamia nuts for the poor suckers you left behind. We had a full kitchen in our unit, so we loaded up on soda, chips, beer, wine, etc. for poolside and sitting on the lanai. You also might be very surprised at the array of souveneers they sell.

I'll give you a fourth. You are taking the kids, right? They might enjoy the Sugar Cane Train. Pick it up in Kaanapali and ride it into Lahaina. Shop, have lunch, etc. and then return. http://www.sugarcanetrain.com/

23. 4RE886

4RE886 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #23 4RE886, Dec 6, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
    Dave, thanks for the great advice! We will definitely hit these spots next time around. I wish I would have known about the Turtle Snorkeling on the Trilogy. I agree Costco is a must especially when renting a condo.

Next time I may rent a 308 and do the Magnum PI thing. Saw some interesting threads regarding renting Ferraris on the island.

24. boiseferrari

boiseferrari Formula 3

Nov 11, 2005
    Boise, Id.
    Full Name:
    Kriss
    Uuummmm? Do dirty things to hot women? (yes plural)

25. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    CHECK!

Play Kapalua and McKenna. Have several margaritas at Polli's in Makawao.