Hopefully the Final Update on the CEL issue (and a lesson to all) | FerrariChat

Hopefully the Final Update on the CEL issue (and a lesson to all)

Discussion in '360/430' started by mwct, Jul 30, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mwct

mwct Karting

Oct 17, 2008
    #1 mwct, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
    This is hopefully the last time I post on the CEL issue on my 360. Okay maybe I am speaking too soon, but hey knock on wood.

Scottdale Ferrari (SF) has taken the car in (by trailer this time). It was a bit of a hassle getting it on a trailer bec there was no hole in the front grill for the tow hook. SF suggested poking a hole into the grill and they would fix/replace it later. The tow truck driver and I both opted for using chains instead. I am not sure it SF will end up fixing this or we are just using chains again on the transport back.
    Lesson #1: not all 360s have holes in the front grill. If you do not you can poke a hole or you can use chains.

Next, they put my old cats on a used Ferrari. There were no problems. So rule out cats.
    Lesson #2: its a good idea to verify what you think failed really failed.

Now, two weeks into the service (not including a week where I took the car out), they think they have pinpointed the real culprit: the mass airflow sensors. Putting my sensors on a used Ferrari caused the other Ferrari to start behaving erratically (in terms of codes).
    Lesson #3: Mass Airflow Sensors can cause a cat code to be thrown!

If all goes well I will get my car back tomorrow. That would be several hundred miles put on the car and 2 weeks later. But I will finally have a car to drive again. And it will work.

Just as an amusing anecdote. Things got pretty nasty at SF when I confronted the manager for the first time on the car issue. I wanted to trade out for a newer car and pay half the difference. I was turned down and lets just say I wasn't treated quite as politely as you would expect from oh say a Chevy dealership. I suspect they thought I was trying to screw with them. When all I wanted was to make a good deal that would benefit both parties. Anyway thats history now, the reason I brought that up was that the manager told me to take my car back and swore on his mothers grave that if the CEL came back on, he'd gladly pay $75000 as a guarantee (he said he was THAT confident the CEL was taken care of). I was halfway tempted to tell him thats how much he owes me now. But since SF decided to keep things civil from that point on, I'll do the same.
    Lesson #4 (for dealers): be nice to your customers.

2. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    Good post, thanks for the 411

3. 900ssDuke

900ssDuke Karting

Sep 12, 2007
    UK
    I had an air flow meter throw up a light at 11,000 miles. The car ran pretty rough at start up and low revs. Changed out the air flow meter and everything returned to normal.

4. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Call me conservative, however, I would run from anyone suggesting I "poke a hole" in the front of my 360..

Seems really really barbaric.

If that is how they TELL someone to do it, imagine what goes on when noone's around...

My 2 cents.
    Just sounds barbaric.

5. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim

Maybe he pulled the bulb for the CEL :)

6. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Or swapped it with a bad bulb from the other 360 ;)

Really hope you get it resolved, and do not give them any more business once resolved.

7. mwct

mwct Karting

Oct 17, 2008
    I have the car back finally. After the Mass Airflow Sensors (MAS) were replaced, it threw a code once again which is due to the left cat. They replaced that too (from the parts Ferrari they apparently have been using) and now there have been no further codes.

One thing that I should have realized and its yet another lesson... when I first started the car before the MAS replacement it would run a bit rough. From my aviation experience, I should have realized right away that it might have something to do with the mixture richness. However since Ferraris are fuel injected (the planes I fly are typically carburated), I didn't immediately draw the connection. What it was tho was that the MAS was running the car rich resulting in unburned fuel. Quite possibly, this unburned fuel corrupted the cats.

I am hoping this resolves the issue once and for all. Time will tell.