TR Redline Fuel shutoff | FerrariChat

TR Redline Fuel shutoff

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by redtrman, Jul 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redtrman

redtrman Formula 3
    BANNED

May 16, 2008
    VA - Heart in Pitt
    Full Name:
    Jason Bourne
    For those of you that have had the guts and glory to redline your TR, did you notice that when you hit the redline your beast stop burning the fuel? I hit the redline twice and scared the living daylights out of me when she stopped burning the petro. I called our trusted F mechanic and he chuckled and said "of course she did that, the TR has an automatic fuel shutoff at the redline." :)

2. Forexpreneur

Forexpreneur Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alexander Everhart
    LOL. That is good to know. I don't own one yet but will. I didn't realize they had them on the 512TRs.

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I have done 300 km/h (190miles) and over in my 512TR on Autobahn roads in Germany to test the top speed; had no shut down at 7-8000 revs in 5th gear thank God....

Rediculous to have a system like that if this is so but I cannot believe this.

And if the existence cannot be confirmed: you may have a problem in your petrol lines/pumps....

4. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Virtually NO modern car is without a rev limiter for obvious reasons. It would pointless to rev the TR to 8000 rpm for example as power would have dropped way off by then and might not survive anyway. R&T reported that it was limited to 7250 rpm.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They came with a rev limiter. It is not his car that is malfunctioning.

6. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    LMAO!

7. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Is there this same "safety" on '87 TR's?

8. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay

Kerry
    I think the person who started the thread has and was referring to an 87 TR.

9. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    What is so ridiculous about having a system that prevents a $25K motor from exploding?

10. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    DOH.................Dain Bramage again.........Jay...I will be in Newark for a couple of days Sat 8/8 & Sun 8/9.....also Atlantic City on the 6th & 7th if ya wanna get together...............?????

Kerry

11. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #11 JAYF, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
    Not entirely your brains fault as the second poster erroneously alluded to the car being a 512tr.
    Damn, I would have really liked to meet up, however I am going to be in Ohio that week(dont ask)

12. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Might I suggest that Ohio.....any place in Ohio could very well be a step or three above a weekend in Newark.............Just an educated observation Jay......just an observation!!

Kerry

13. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Quite true, however it doesnt change the fact that I really don't want to go(the things you have to do to stay married)

BTW soory for the thread derail folks.

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Imagine you are speeding............. nice and easy 150 mph und suddenly there is no power becaus a stupid system like this would cut fuel at red line in

fourth gear or fifth gear.

Therefor a system like that is NOT implemented in any Ferrari for this reason, I am quite sure.

15. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Melvok....it is like TurboFreak650 said earlier, practically all modern cars have a rev-limiter system of some sort. I don't know where that magical "limit" is, but I'm sure it's there. I'm sure many here recall that one fellow who routinely rev'd a TR up to around 9,000 rpms and above???? I wonder why no limiter kicked in on that car? We doubted the acuracy of his tachometer, but then he posted pics of the dash showing the tach and speedo that seemed to correlate. That's just crazy. Over-reving is just SO STUPID! Once your over the peak of the power curve and going down the backside of the slope your just wasting your motor.

16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #16 Melvok, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
    Yes, in every gear, around 8000 rpms, you feel that the revs will not go higher... but it never stops the engine....

Semantics....?

Gr from Mel in NL.

17. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #17 JAYF, Aug 3, 2009
    Mel
    My new BMW M5 has a rev limiter that shuts off the engine at redline for a millisecond and then the motor kicks on again. What is your point? Every high performance car has one-it shuts down the engine to prevent damage. Most will agree that is a smart safety feature. If you dont agree-remove the one on your TR and see what happens. BTW isnt redline on a TR 7700rpm? How is it you are doing 8000? A better question is why do you need to when peak horsepower is gained at 6700rpm-revving it that last 1000 rpm's is not accomplishing a lot more than wearing out your engine sooner than later.

18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #18 Melvok, Aug 3, 2009
    Hello Jay,

Driving to the max (sometimes when that is safe to do) you can really go to that max... and the theoretical max at 7700 rpms will not do in practice.

You will speed up until the engine says to you it will do no more revs and you have to change gears.....

My point is only: in my 512TR I have not felt "an automatic fuel shutoff at the redline."

Or is that what we are talking about here now.... the limiter...

19. philvecc

philvecc Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Philip Vecchiarelli
    OK I'll ask a dumb question... Is there ever a difference between redline RPM and the setting for the rev. limiter? Like a safety margin?