Bruce Rossmeyer, Daytona Harley dealer, dies in motorcycle accident. | FerrariChat

Bruce Rossmeyer, Daytona Harley dealer, dies in motorcycle accident.

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Wade, Jul 30, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    wow. horrible news. he did a lot for the H-D dealer network, a really innovative guy.

RIP Bruce.

3. ExoticSpotter

ExoticSpotter Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    wow no way....I remember seeing his face every 5 miles or so on billboards on the way down to Miami...RIP

4. #Lennard

#Lennard Formula 3

Aug 26, 2006
    Zeewolde/Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Lennard
    R.I.P.

As horrible as this is, he kinda did it to himself.

"The pickup slowed and activated his left signal," Lt. Shawn Dickerson said. "Four of the motorcycles passed to the left . . . When Mr. Rossmeyer attempted to pass, the truck made its left turn and he hit the driver's side door."

5. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    It is sad, he had a big family.

Lennards point is very relevant... he attempted to pass a truck that was towing a trailer, on the left, as the truch was slowing to make a left turn. Furthermore, he was not wearing a helmet.

Had he been wearing a helmet, he would almost certainly be alive. I cannot understand why anyone rides without a helmet. If you are single and don't care about your life, so be it. When you have a family and obligations to others, it is idiotic.

Hope that doesn't sound too harsh... this accident was entirely avoidable and senseless and ripped a family apart for no good reason.

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
  7. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Accident avoidable, but wearing a helmet is no guarantee he would have survived. I have friends that were killed or severely injured wearing helmets - it helps for brain trauma, but isn't going to protect you from a broken neck.

What a shame...I always got a kick out of his signs on the drive down from NJ to Florida...even had some with the GEICO gecko, my kids would go nuts over those...RIP

8. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    A helmet is not a guarantee of survival, but the vast majority of people who die when not wearing a helmet, die from head trauma, and a helmet WOULD save those people. It's like people who say they don't want to drive with a seatbelt... it's not a guarantee of survival, but it increases your chances by a HUGE amount. Driving drunk isn't a guarantee that you will get killed either, but it drastically increases your chances of being in a fatal wreck. Taking precautions and wearing a helmet is the smart thing to do.

Riding without a helmet is dumb. Being a family man and riding without a helmet while having dependents is really dumb.

And just so nobody thinks I'm being a jerk, I ride a sportbike and a cruiser, and I wear a full-face helmet on both, whether I am riding in a state with a helmet law or not. Also, Bruce Rossmeyer was a customer of mine and while I can't say I was personally close to him, he was someone I knew and did business with.

It is sad for Bruce, and even worse for his family who will now have to go on without him.

9. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    He was with several of my wife's coworkers when he died. Anytime you take the seat of a motorcycle you take your life in your hands, IMO.

RIP

10. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yes, I agree with you. As I've ridden since I am 7-8 years old (and I am now 40), I would never ride without a helmet. I've ridden in States with no helmet laws, I still wear a helmet. People have a choice and they have to deal with the consequences around said choices.

I was only stating that he may not have survived even with the helmet. I've not seen any autopsy results or the details of the accident. Just wouldn't want people to imply what happened...he may or may not have survived either way.

I would still wear a helmet - when on a bike, you need to mitigate risk as much as possible - enough said!

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    While I always wear a helmet and protective gear when I ride in the dirt or on the street, I guess we do need some folks to ride without protective gear to help increase available organs for donation...

12. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    I've road tested more helmets than I wish to remember. Riding without one isn't smart, but it was his life, and if he wished to take that risk, that was his choice, but I'd rather not hear any sniveling from his friends and family, because he took the risk, and did something that was going to put him in the hospital one way or the other, and his luck ran out. RIP, but it was his choice.

Art

13. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    There must be more to the story.

Even a Harley rider isn't that stupid.

And if it is true, the family needs to apologize to the truck owner for the property damage to his truck.

14. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    From reading the article, it sounds like the riders thought the truck driver had turned on his left turn signal to let them know it was OK to pass when in fact he was signaling because he intended to turn left.

15. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Brilliant. Just brilliant.

16. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR

Well said! A tragic loss to all............ and at the same time, full-face is the only way to go. (1/2's are at best a salad dish for the aftermath).

17. Willybeen

Willybeen Karting

Aug 18, 2009
    Vero/Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    William
    So sad.... Regardless of whos at fault, its sad to see a life be lost.

RIP.