Maintenance Costs on new GranTurismo/S or Quattroporte | FerrariChat

Maintenance Costs on new GranTurismo/S or Quattroporte

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Robb, Jul 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Looking at the '09 or '10 Granturismo or S as a daily driver (10k miles per year) and wondering about maintenance costs. What is likely per year? What are majors going to run? Any areas for concern that are likely to cause trouble down the road after the 4 year 50k mile warranty? Maybe numbers from work on the latest quattroporte would also help

Thanks for any thoughts. I appreciate any general costs that you all know of - transmission, brakes, etc...

Robb

2. The Palerider

The Palerider Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have owned my GT since December '07 and have spent zero dollars on it. Obviously, it is still under warranty, but my point is - no non-warranty costs yet. I will buy a new set of tires later this year.

I don't think we have enough data yet to give a clear prediction for for or five years down the road. As you suggest, maybe some QP owners can comment as the QPs have been in circulation longer.

3. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I'm getting the 12,500 mile service right now. That service is $1,700 plus the car needs new rubber which is quite spendy. I think the bill for all of it will be close to $5k. Too expensive for the class the car competes in.

4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I owned a 03 coupe, my wife had a 07 QP, now has a Gran Turismo. These cars are no different from any car, that is if you buy the auto version. Any decent shop can work on them, so they should cost no more than a Mercedes. So far, we have had an oil change cost, $125.00.

5. TravisJ

TravisJ Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Travis
    Almost two years of ownership and not a single oil change yet?

6. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia

These aren't the most fuel efficient cars (like 11MPG) to consider as a daily driver if that is part of your ownership cost factors.

7. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #7 Robb, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
    Thanks a lot for the advice. I am not familiar with the paddle shifting gearboxes. How long do they last before a rebuild? Is it like an automatic? Or do you just replace the clutch in them?

That seems like the largest expense on maint. Now that they will offer a true automatic for 2010 model, what are your thoughts on how long it will last and what it will cost to replace?

I can live with the $1,500 majors if they are once per 15k miles or more. The mileage sucks but not so bad with only 3-5 miles to the office. On a new car, can you get extended warranties from the factory/dealer?

Looks like a car I would never get tired of driving or looking at and would age very well...

Thanks. Robb

8. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Curious here too - while I have plenty of miles yet to go on the 08 E350, I'm sorta thinking that
    my next DD will be a Maser.... but don't want to get into the bills my 328 generates :) I drive
    20k miles a year....

Jedi

9. The Palerider

Sep 11, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael
    2 oil changes...no money spent.

I didn't want to get into it on this thread (already discussed in the past on another thread), but I have an interesting relationship with my dealer. Short version - they have a habit of damaging my cars, then they are very nice about fixing them and taking care of things like an oil change. I am either loyal or a sucker or both and I keep going back!

One other item of itnerest which I also mentioned elswhere in this section - my power steering pump had an incurrable leak and the entire power steering rack was replaced under warranty. (no cost) I have yet to meet another owner who has experienced the same problem, so I don't believe it is a common defect.

10. TravisJ

TravisJ Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Travis
    If you get free work done that other would most likely have to pay for, your should state that. In a thread about maintenance costs, it can be misleading.

11. stevenbmaserati

stevenbmaserati Karting
    BANNED

Jun 15, 2007
    Claremont
    Full Name:
    Steven B.
    FWIW, I am paying around $700 per year for the annual fluids changes.

12. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Fuel consumption isn't bad. I use my Granturismo S as a daily driver and the average consumption over the last 10,000 km's has been 15.3 litres per 100 km's.

The only non warranty expenditure that I can see is back tyres. I estimate they will be done before it hits 20,000 km's.

13. The Palerider

Sep 11, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I certainly did not intend to mislead anyone....nor do I believe that I actually did mislead. The OP seemed to be looking for answers related to non-routine costs and/or "majors" costs. An oil change is basic. And, since I have not paid for one, I actually thought it would be irresponsible for me to "guess" the cost. By the way, 360c didn't mention the oil change either in his response.

I also personally consider washing, waxing and general detailing part of the maintenance for all my cars. I do it myself because I enjoy it, and I spend a lot on the right equipment and the right cleaning supplies. I didn't mention that either as I believe enthusiasts differ greatly in this area (some use detailers, some do it themselves, some don't). Since I use the equipment and supplies differently across four cars, it is hard for me to quantify what portion "belongs" to the GT in terms of cost.

14. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    This is all good info and the oil changes / fluids / tires are helpful as well. My main concern is for big ticket items on things that might break or have "issues". I am still hoping someone can explain what is replaced when a cambiocorsa transmission goes out. Is this expected to be after 5 years and 50k miles or is it 100k miles. I have two vehicles with manual transmissions so I do understand replacing a clutch plate, etc. But the modern transmissions are like x-files to me including their costs. If you tell me that a maser's transmission would cost $10K to replace at a "clutch" replacement, I might reconsider the brand. $2k to $4k - I wouldn't really worry too much. Just like, I wouldn't want carbon brakes at $10k replacement on the car either. What do you guys know about the transmission costs?

Robb

15. s420merc

s420merc Rookie

Dec 7, 2003
    i am looking into a Grandturismo and will be getting the automatic. At the local Ferrari dealer a GT oil change is $395.00 and the Full 12k service is $1300.00 So not including brakes and tires u are prob looking at 2k a year or so. Now if u get the Duo Select trans its basically the Ferrari trans so count on Clutch and F1 pump replacement costs. I personaly plan on buying the Auto to avoid the clutch and Pump replacement issues.

16. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I didn't mention oil changes as the costs in Australia tend to be way, way less than the US where you guys seem to pay through the nose.

The dealer did an oil change at 1500 km's at their cost. I did one at about 7000 km's as the car was in for some warranty issues and a recall.

I doubt the gearbox will be a problem personally. They are well sorted these days and I think the clutch will last for a long while in daily driver mode. No sign of any problems so far on my car at 11,000 km's. FWIW, I don't see the point in the automatic. The sequential's auto mode is very, very good in my experience. I use it maybe 50% of the time. If you had a proper auto it would dull the driving experience when you wanted a spirited drive. I had a loan QP 4.7 S auto for a week and I thought it was really dull in comparison to the 4.7 Granturismo S sequential car.
    Same engine; but the excitement and personality of the car was missing. Maybe if you are coming from a Mercedes S class, the auto Granturismo might appeal; but if you like to drive, I would go for the sequential manual. The answer is to drive both and see what suits you.

In my opinion the big cost will be depreciation. Maseratis record isn't too hot in that department. Just as well you Americans don't pay much for your cars. Recommended retail on the road for my car was circa $340k US here in Australia.

17. The Palerider

Sep 11, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael
    360C - Please know that I was not taking a shot at you! :) I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek about the oil change issue with TravisJ. I didn't metion it either in responding to the original poster because I could not give an accurate or "representative" cost.

I agree with your observations about the transmission. Drive and enjoy yours in good health!

-Michael

18. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

No problem at all :)

19. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Make sure you get the GT/QP "S".

The "S" versions sound glorious in sport mode.

20. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Makes sense. Thanks. Looks like an S with the cambiocorsa...

Robb