Thank you Napolis!!!!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Thank you Napolis!!!!!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by johnhoughtaling, Jul 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Blown Z

Blown Z Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2006
    Just like the Ferrari "Enzo Ferrari" the 458 shoulda been called the Ferrari "Jim Glickenhaus" lol

2. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #27 MalibuGuy, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
    No offense to anyone here, but I don't see the resemblance.

To me, the Italia is an evolution of the 360/430/Scud design and the one off based on the F430.

It incorporates the new dual clutch box, and direct injection, and some interesting aero tricks.
    The rear of the car with the single tail light and incorporated wing, takes design cues from the FXX and Enzo.

Napolis' car is a modern re-interpretation of a different car. His exhaust is F-1 inspired. Totally different.

All great cars!

3. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    I am totally with you.
    Whilst I admire what Jim has done on the Enzo platform it really does nothing for me on a personal aesthetic level and I see very little relation here to what has been created with the beautiful 458.

For the first time in a long time I am excited about seeing a new Ferrari.
    To me it looks like a baby Enzo and I like.
    The press photos show a car that bears a resemblence to the projects displayed in the 'Concepts of the Myth' brochure.

Paul

4. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    .... I see a bit of 246GT in the front end of the 458. :)

5. xraygun

xraygun Karting

Feb 5, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    Ray Henderson
    Be very proud Jim!

6. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    I agree too +1

I am an artist and make my living as such, and I don't see how some people are jumping on the Napolis' car bandwagon. 458 looks like an evolution of the 360/430 body style, with elements of the curvy 246 Dino and some Enzo, to make a car that is it's own thing apart from it's predecessors.

the Napolis P4/P5, inspried by the 330 P3/4? Nope. 458 doesn't harken to or look anything like the 330 P series cars. 458 is inspired by the modern era Ferrari. Having curves in the car's design doesn't translate to "P4/P5." Lots of vintage Ferraris have curves.

If what is meant by "inspired by," in the loosest sense of PF getting back to retro-curvy "inspired," then that is true, then we thank Napolis for his bold automotive statement. But as somehow a near-copy of Napolis' car, mmmmm no way. Looks nothing like his car.

7. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Ive said it before...as a fellow designer I think the connection is simply in the *stance* of the P4/5 - Italia with the cab forward design. i dont see all the rest of the similarities everyone else does. As you say the rest are all long time Ferrari styling cues.

8. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    And it flows - naturally - like the finest of fine wines.

9. SlvSurfer

SlvSurfer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2005
    Monaco/Canada
    Agreed. No disrespect to Jimmy (after all Jimmy'z in my favourite club). But I don't really see it. I see a lot of 360 and Enzo and maybe a tad of Zonda but that's really it.

10. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    +10 just like the vintage and magical PF designs of yore; Ferrari has done it

11. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    yes and I think many non-designers/non-artists are mistaking this overall stance, the cab forward look, to be somehow Napolis' car? ?? So every stance like this you see on an F-car is then a copy of the P3/4 idea?

That's like saying "a table has 4 legs, a dog has 4 legs, a dog is an animal: a table is an animal"

12. ferrariluk

ferrariluk Formula Junior

Apr 5, 2006
    Thank you for the info...

Strange that I love the 458 but never like the P4/5

13. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    We could always contribute it to the NSX ;)

14. jason bodington

jason bodington Karting

Jun 11, 2007
    wales
    Full Name:
    jason bodington
    +1 just had a look through it and it follows alot of the design elements from 2-3 of the cars in concepts of the myth. i also disagree with some of the statements made in this thread, i see no design ques from the P4/5. also taking a look at the concepts of the myth booklet ive noticed that most of the designs are curvier than some of the more recent models.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think looking at P4/5 and 458 side by side there are obvious major similarities, not only the cab position which I agree might not be unique, but overwhelming to me and absolutely unique is the front fender curve flowing down and rear fender curve flowing up. Yes this Ferrari gets us back to more curvy roots of past, but those curvy lines are the exact same as the P4/5. It is guaranteed that Pininfarina carried forward some influence from the P4/5, however minor or major.

16. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    As one of the designers of the 458 told me he did I have no reason to doubt him...

17. vipermann123

vipermann123 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Full Name:
    Uzy Malik
    #42 vipermann123, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
    Hmmm, can we have them side by side? I have never liked the Enzo, and Jim's car, while cool, does nothing for me aesthetically. The 458 is just beautiful to me. I agree that there are some basic similarities, and I want to understand why (for me) it works on the 458, but not on the P4/5. The Enzo is just hideous, though very impressive in its technology and performance-wise.

I can't imagine Ferrari not using some of the knowledge it gained from the P4/5 project and carrying it forward onto the 458. It might be a case of version 1.0 and 2.0 so they won't be executed in the exact same manner but there are definitely commonalities (albeit evolved).

18. JWLee

JWLee Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Jong Lee
    #43 JWLee, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    plenty of lineage to go around. striking reminder to see them next to each other, lets line up all three in same sized photos. nickname 458 Italia the "People's P4"!

20. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    yeh I agree Rob .. plenty of subtle similarities in the People's P4.

21. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    I'd like to see more angles and views of the 458 then. What we have been provided thus far are just very limited factory beauty shots that don't show much of the car. I want to see direct full-on front and rear shots, and the car driving on the road from a distance. Curves alone do not translate to direct mimicking of the vintage P3/P4.

But if the designers of the 458 say they were so inspired, then you can't really argue with them! Let's read the interviews and see the coffee table book of the development of the 458. It's a standout instant classic modern Ferrari.

22. vipermann123

vipermann123 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Full Name:
    Uzy Malik
    I think we are talking about the 458 Italia and its similarities to styling elements on the P4/5, not the P3/4. Napolis had nothing to do with the P3/4 design.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Obviously Jim directed and Pininfarina used the P3/4 as inspiration for the P4/5.

24. JWLee

JWLee Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Jong Lee
    #49 JWLee, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. a8guy

a8guy Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    #50 a8guy, Aug 4, 2009