Rolex Daytona | FerrariChat

Rolex Daytona

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by aiminghigher, Aug 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aiminghigher

aiminghigher Karting

Nov 10, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I was on a cruise almost 2 years ago in Alaske and at every port was a ton of Jewelry stores. I don't know much about watches really but I saw a yellow Gold Rolex Daytona with Gold band and a black face for sale which I really liked the looks of. I didn't buy it as I didn't know if it was a good price or not.

Can someone tell me what to expect to pay these days for one that is either used but in great shape or new as I may be in the market possibly? I am not interested in diamonds or any glitter, but a nice looking Gold with black face Daytona.

Thanks in advance,

2. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
  3. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    My dad and his wife just got back from an Alaskan cruise too. Yes, tons of jewelry stores at every port and all of it way overpriced. My dad was in the high end of the biz for over a decade. He told me the diamond prices were outrageous. Overpriced by the good economy of two years ago and more ridiculous today. I'm glad you didn't buy. There are people on this forum who could probably hook you up. Good luck on your purchase.

4. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    It is rare to find one in stock anywhere. I bought one, and have another on order for a friend. He put in an order and was told it could take 4 years. I have been led to believe that I can get one this year, with no guarantees. Rolex dealers actually stroll into other dealers stores, I have heard, asking about Daytonas.....seems that everyone wants one at list because the market is 30% or more higher for one where shoppers that need one now go, or at least 4 years ago when I bought mine.

5. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    The only Daytona that has ever been on allocation is the Stainless Steel. Generally, all other Daytona combinations (Two-tone, White or Yellow Gold, Gold w/Leather strap, etc.) can be had from inventory, or delivered within days. Oddball stuff like diamonds, meteorite dials, etc. might be a a little harder to find if you are into that stuff. Now days, good customers of Rolex AD's can get pretty much anything they want (SS Daytona, Milgauss GV, etc.) on short notice and with some discount. If you want to wade into active discussions on this topic, here's the place: http://www.rolexforums.com/ Here is a March 2008 price list: http://www.minus4plus6.com/rolex-pricelists.htm

6. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    I don't think so anymore. I know one of my local ADs had an SS in stock... they were asking list price, but I got the impression that they would deal.

7. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
  8. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    #8 netman, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    I love the Daytona. I've got 3 of them in SS, SS/YG & WG that I rotate as my weekday daily wearers. You can't go wrong IMO.

10. jck

jck Karting

Sep 22, 2006
    Santa Monica, CA
    Full Name:
    James Kim
    You might check out Timezone.com where there are ususally several on sale by private parties and dealers. I believe you have to go to "community" and then the "showcase" section. Good luck.

11. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Daytonas can definitely be had these days. Deals are available if you know where to look! ;)

12. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    For a novice, where would you recommend looking? I've been on the waiting list with my local Rolex dealer for the past two years.

Thanks.

Mike

13. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    What exactly are you after?

14. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Buying five Rolex watches in 36 months from a small AD gets you anything you want, when you want it! ;)

15. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Stainless Steel with black face

16. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I think stainless steel is easier to get nowaday, my brother walked into an AD in at Stanford shopping center and asked for stainless steel Daytona, the sale person asked him if he shopped here before, he told him no, the sale person then checked with manager and sold my brother his white face stainless steel Daytona. Unemployment is around 12 percents here in the Silicon Valley.

On the other hand, my Daytona was much harder to get since I bought it during the high of the real estate boom.