456 window/door question | FerrariChat

456 window/door question

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by MechSB, Jul 30, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MechSB

MechSB Rookie

Jul 29, 2009
    #1 MechSB, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Howdy,

great forums here! I have a question, has anyone seen this before? I am installing a new window reg on a friends new 456, and the replacement reg does not have this helper spring, is it a factory add-on or another shadetree attempt to overcome a lazy door lock actuator?

Have a laugh at the attempted repair of the reg by moving the adjustment mounting points!

By the way, anything I should look out for other than the window reg issues? The trans seems to be fairly difficult to shift into 2nd randomly, would a fluid change with a good aftermarket (redline or swepco syth) be of assistance? I am assuming it is an adjustment issue myself.

Thanks for the help!

Mech
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jbornwina

jbornwina Rookie

Mar 15, 2008
    Overton
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Ebdon
    The helper spring is non standard, from memory.

The moving of the pivot points is an attempt to get the glass to fill the hole on a 11/10ths worn out regulator - there are suggestions on here of a modification to the pivot behind the main snail spring as a means of a permanent fix to the perennial window gap problem but having followed this method myself I still had to do the slotting out of the pivot points to get a reasonable fit.

Jeremy

3. MechSB

MechSB Rookie

Jul 29, 2009
    I assume you are talking about the replacement of the aluminum pivot for the repair, the window was actually crooked in the tracks, so speed was of importance to him atm.

I'll assemble it without the spring and see what happens, always nice to repair things properly, even if it takes a new door lock actuator.

4. number46

number46 Karting

Jun 21, 2005
    London
    I fitted a new regulator to the drivers side door of my '94 456 and just moved the springs across as they are part of the lock/latch mechinisms so I think you will need them. Note, even with the new regulator I had to move the adjustment to its max. position to get the window to fit and it is still not brilliant but certainly better than the with the old worn out regulator.
    You have to use the door key to get the window ecu to re-learn the door closed/open window positions once you have fitted everything, then adjust the gap/fit by moving the the bar (nearest the door lock ) with the slotted holes. I can't remember the process, but if you search the 456 forum you'll find the answer.
    Unfortunately the design is flawed so the window will again in time stop working/not fit !! a bit like the leaking rear shocks!!
    Both the rear shocks and window regulators are long term service items !!

5. Mr Mezzanotte

Mr Mezzanotte Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2006
    UK
    difficult when car is cold, once fluids warm (10 minutes?) should shift fine, as all other gears.

Common V12 issue.

6. number46

number46 Karting

Jun 21, 2005
    London
    2nd gear

On most ferrari's 2nd gear is notchy/harder to engage when cold, but as said earlier once the g/box is warm should be just like all the other gears, remember on the 456 the g/box is part of the transaxle/diff so will take longer to warm up as not connected to the engine. On mine even though the water temp is up and there is some oil temp. 2nd can still be a little reluctant until a good 10/20 mins into a drive.

7. MechSB

MechSB Rookie

Jul 29, 2009
    Thank you all for the advice!

Can the shifting be helped with a fluid change to a synthetic?

Thanks,

Mech

8. MechSB

MechSB Rookie

Jul 29, 2009
    Interesting, This 456 is still reluctant to shift, even after a 45 min drive.

9. Mr Mezzanotte

Mr Mezzanotte Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2006
    UK
    That's not right, assuming your in a normal climate, and not north Alaska ?

Sounds like a fluid change or something more is required, I presume.

10. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    +1...change the fluid, and do a visual..something is not right.

11. MechSB

MechSB Rookie

Jul 29, 2009
    Any advice for the Fluid? Go with the factory fill or?

12. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I prefer Redline and have been very happy.

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I use Valvoline fully synthetic 75W-90 and it works great in my 575M and is also very easy to find.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

14. MechSB

MechSB Rookie

Jul 29, 2009
    Thank you very much for the advice!

Mech