911 Baby seat question | FerrariChat

911 Baby seat question

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by speedy, Aug 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    Wife and I are planning on having a baby next spring. Right now she's "hinting" that the 308 might need to go and be replaced by a Porsche or a comparable sports car with a back seat. Tossing around the idea of an 02-03 911 turbo.

Question: Is there a rear facing child seat that fits in the back seat of the 911?

2. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#2 Kds, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  3. pdiack

pdiack Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    Only for the front seat.. there would be no room in the backseat for a rear facing baby seat.

Get a Cayenne turbo..

4. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    That sucks..... Thanks for the help guys.

I've already got one SUV (LR3) and the wife wants a MB M class for herself too. I don't think another SUV would make sense.

Thanks anyway.

James

5. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Bentley CGT
    Ferrari 456

6. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    Panamera?
    Why do you need to take your baby in the sports car? You've got other cars that do the job, so I don't see why you'd need to get rid of the 308 just yet.

7. tuonoR

tuonoR Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2006
    I don't know of any 2+2s that that work with a rear facer in the back.

As far as front facers go, the space in the back of a 996 is probably as good as it gets once you remove the seat backs (1-2 bolts, very easy). The only things that might give a bit more room are GT cars like a 612 or AM Vanquish. Plus then you're talking about cars that are the size of a mid-size sedan (or larger) and also carry that heft.

Its also worth noting my older son has sat in the back of a 612 and claims the room is not discernably better than a porsche -- this is with the same person sitting in seat in front of him (me).

8. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    That's what I ask myself... We love taking drives on the weekends and going out to eat. So a 2+2 would work best for us. I've thought about the Mondial conv. or a 928 GTS... but she doesn't think they're very "pretty".

... haven't told her about the bad seats in the Turbo yet. Maybe I'll just buy one and say:

"OOOPSIE, I thought the seat would fit back asswards. Guess you'll have to sit in the back, honey... LUV YOU!!!!"

Think that'll fly?

9. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    No offense, but if you have other cars that will get the job done, I don't see how she has any say on the weekend sports car?

Personally, if I was hauling around a baby I'd take them in a sedan, wagon, or SUV...it would get old trying to get them in and out of a sports car due to room.

10. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    None taken.

I may end up keeping the Ferrari. Just seeing what other options are out there for a 2+2 setup. Like I said, we love taking drives in the car together so lugging the kiddo in and out of it every so often wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for all your input, guys.

- James

11. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What he said. Frankly, your other vehicles are safer for a baby anyway. In fact I think Merc requires proof that you have kids before selling you an M-Class.

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Maser Coupe? Now under $30k for 02... I've heard even Gransports are wholesaling in the $30k's and $40k's.

13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I assume from this that you're not married and don't have any young kids.

1) Once you have the first kid you find that it's hard to get the wife/mom to go anywhere without the baby. So, this means weekend drives together in the 308 are going to disappear for 10-15 years, unless you have family who will come to your house and babysit while you drive the Ferrari together [unlikely]. Thus, in order to get wife with you anywhere, you need a place for the kid(s).

2) You will also find that once the kids are old enough to appreciate it (>2), you want to share the fun experiences in the car with them. This doesn't mean high-speed hoonage, but the kids will want to be involved with their dad's hobbies/interests too. One of my kids started at two, "Drive real fast, Dad!" and a red light takeoff from 0-40mph usually makes them happy.

14. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    By the time the kid is 2, a 911 would be fine as a family car. No rear-facing seat necessary... Unless he's going to have more children in succession.

15. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner

16. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Might take a look at a 911 hit from the rear first. Theres no buffer room. That engine is coming into the back seat. Sorry, just something to think about.

17. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have 5 year old twin boys, and they are now in booster seats, and I'll give you some idea what I go through.

My wives cars, BMW 7 series, w rear DVD, Britax booster seats to match interior

Maserati Gran Turismo, Some kind of Red booster seat to match that interior.

My cars, Range Rover with dual rear DVD's Recaro Car seat (the best cars seat I think)

Porsche 997 Cab, this is the hard one, I bought a Eddie Bauer booster seat but must remove the botton seat cushion to fit right

Gallardo, they do not ride in that one yet

We went through a whole lot of different cars seat over the last 5 years, and when they were born, I had a Cayenne Turbo, it worked well for car seats that is.

The DVD units can be life savers on rides over a half an hour, and Ryalex is so right, things do change once you have a child, and what is important to you now, might become a bit less important to you once you hold your child for the first time. Good luck

18. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Indeed. This exact thought crossed our minds as well when shopping. It was the #1 factor that turned us off a 911 and onto a BMW 335i Conv.