Ferrari's in the city--How do you guys do it? | FerrariChat

Ferrari's in the city--How do you guys do it?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JoeZaff, Jul 31, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I live among endless miles of mountain roads, and in that environment, these cars are breathtaking, but I personally am not very fond of my Ferrari when I have to take it on regular roads. I took my Mondial to go meet a friend the other day in a rather well developed suburban area. Anyway, he wanted me to open up the car for him, but I told him it wasn't in the cards. The roads were too busy, there were too many stop lights, pedestrians, etc. He was bummed...but not as much as me. However, even had the roads been "I am Legend" empty, he still wouldn't have been able to appreciate the car because there were simply no winding roads to appreciate the cars balance. To the contrary, the day served to do nothing but highlight the worst part of having an exotic (especially an older one---the heavy clutch, poor turning radius, no power steering, and drawing way too much attention). A matter of fact, after about an hour I was cursing myself for taking her at all, and wishing I had just brought the Mercedes as I had originally intended--before he pressured me otherwise.

It got me thinking, looking at F-chat, I see a lot of you guys and gals are from all over the world, some in London, NY, Chicago, etc. I am curious to what you do and where you go to enjoy these cars in their natural element?

I am sure you get pretty creative and I would love to here from you...

2. Dean Lewis

Dean Lewis Formula Junior

May 16, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dean Lewis
    you bring up a good point, if i had a ferrari id just be honoured to drive it slow so every1 can see it, but i understand the thrill of pushing the car to its limits. good post would like to hear some peoples ideas

3. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It kinda sucks. I still have fun, but long for living in an area of miles and miles of winding
    mountain roads with no driveways, lights, crosswalks and traffic. Sigh.

Jedi

4. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I think every city still has good roads, or at least some nearby. DC has plenty for me, but I do occasionally go out for drives at 3am to avoid the traffic. We have mountains an hour west and plenty of fun twisty roads in and around the city. I've had my 355 up and down the east coast many times, and have found fun roads from Miami all the way up to NYC and beyond. You just need to find the right roads and the right times. No biggie really...

5. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I am very lucky in that I live in a modest size city (almost 400,00) and I am 5 minutes away from the country and highway for open and winding roads. In the city, the only time I get a chance to put the pedal to the metal is late at night when there is very little traffic.

6. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Boo Hoo, it's so tough having a Ferrari. I had a 308QV here in Miami. All the same issues
    that comes with an older car,yes it was hot,etc.etc. But you know what? I loved every
    minute. And as for the attention....it was great. People asking about the car,meeting
    enthusiasts,fans etc. I don't know,I just see the glass as half full.I know guys here with
    new Ferraris that complain about the same issues, and never drive them. I just don't get it.

7. Sareve

Sareve F1 Rookie

Oct 23, 2007
    Singapore/Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I don't have country roads in my country :( Singapore is all city everywhere, so I've never really experienced country road driving and don't know any better.

8. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Ain't that the truth! Rock Creek Parkway at 3am is Awesome driving. Can be great at 8am on a Sunday too!

9. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    Not only is the drive tough, you get the salt and rocks everywhere you go. I was in SoCal recently not as many rocks or debris on the road as NY. Cars just get more abuse here in the city.

Oh and did I mention potholes and unintentional "reverse" speed bumps?

Ace

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #10 BigTex, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Toll Roads and tunnels...LOL!

We also remove the front spoiler for repairs on an annual basis.

The FCA throws some good parties, renting Texas World Speedway in College Station, or No Problems Raceway west of New Orleans.

It's events like that, you can get yo' yay-yas out.......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Even the wide open roads have their draw backs like critters running across, slow moving tractors or vehicles pulling out, cars in your lane passing on hilly roads etc. Sure beats cities but your best bet is that familiar road nearby that you can stretch the cars legs yet know the dangers more i.e. cops, cross traffic areas etc.

12. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    how about a track day? i think the entry level group allows convertibles and even has a speed limit. so you can enjoy the car without the pressure of going for fast laps.

13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    gorgeous ladies!

14. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Joe.

Don't I see you every Saturday? Where are you finding rolling hills and empty roads? Hell, I drive out every Saturday and end up behind some bimbo driving a VW rabbit at 35 MPH in the left friggin lane, having a special needs race with some outer bimbo doing 34 in the right lane. In a freakin' 55 zone.

Maybe I should follow you around some so you can show me these cool roads. :D

DM

15. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    In San Diego and Los Angeles:

Leave in the morning, putter through 10-15 minutes of neighborhood, turn onto PCH, turn east into canyons, open throttle, carve, enjoy. ;)

16. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Dave,

You MUST come out with me one weekend when you get the chance OR we can go next time we play hookie to go shooting. There are literally hundreds of miles of winding country roads...breathtaking stuff. I wish you had been out there with us today. UNBELIEVABLE!!!! I can even show you some great roads near you for future reference.

About 80% of the 3K miles I put on my car last year were spent exploring the backroads from PA to DE.

17. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    +1000000000!!!!!!!!! That's my drive! The wife and I hit the canyons yesterday off of Kanan....It was epic. The 997TT did a great job but compared to my old 430........well, not even close! The day I take delivery of my 599 HGTE will be a LONG canyon run!

18. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    I live in a city (800,000). But about five minutes from the house, there is a nice winding, tree lined road, that snakes around a golf course that is perfect for the 308.

19. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Yes, I'm lucky I live outside the city and have lots of great driving roads around - it's not pleasant in city driving. My sister gets great delight from the fact that if I'm REALLY tired I'll grovel and park at her place and take her Mitsubishi into the city...