Cannot Start 06 430 | FerrariChat

Cannot Start 06 430

Discussion in '360/430' started by RBK, Aug 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    First time problem.

Car just washed/detailed 2 days ago. Car has been sitting. Turned key and at first got "ok" and then (judging from noises) electornics "cycled" resulting in a CST with a line across the letters in the (information) window. Attempted several starts, no luck. Let it sit for a minute and tried and then went to lunch and came back and tried. This last attempt results in "nothing" in the window, and when the key is turned an (apparent) electrical charge that moves the needle on gauges a bit. The car is set in "sport" mode and nothing has been changed.

Incidentally and frustrating, I have attempted to contact both San Diego and Orange County Ferrari Service Departments and in the first case get an answering machine and in the second case after being transferred from sales have not hear a service persons voice after several tried.

Any thoughts?

Best

2. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    About the problem with the car of the issues with the Ferrari dealers?

Seriously, has the car been kept on a tender?

Maybe in the course of detailing and with doors opened that ran the battery down which may have already been low.

If you have a tender re-connect and see what happens w/change of LED color on tender after a while.

3. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    Did you try pulling back on both paddles at the same time to reset the gears? Pull back both paddles at the same time and hold it there for a second or two.

4. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Gcalo and Kuzi. Appreciate help. I cannot get any power so cannot try paddles. I have plugged in the "tender" to see what will happen (I do keep it on tender most of the time). However, I did start and drive the car into the garage immediately after the wash/detal. Who knows? Thanks.

5. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If no power - as said above, the battery is most likely very discharged.. Try again in the AM after a night of trickle charging..

6. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    After trickle charging for several hours I have come to the conclusion it must be the battery. The car is 2.5 years old, I guess that is it for batteries. Appreciate help from all. Best

7. RSQP

RSQP F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Beaker
    Make sure you disconnect the trickle charger before attempting to start the car.

8. F430Rod

F430Rod Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2007
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Any update on this? Hope the problem was taken care of.

9. FerrariJones

FerrariJones Karting

Nov 1, 2004
    Seattle
    It would be a good idea to install an Interstate battery and a battery maintainer. Anytime the car sits for more than a day just plug in the maintainer. Hopefully that would help avoid these things down the road.

Best of luck.

10. Speedy2081

Speedy2081 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2009
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Joe C
    I started my 360 one time by accident without disconnecting the trickle charger. I had no problems. What damage might have been done?

11. thoang

thoang Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 12, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tuan Hoang
    I have the Ferrari battery charger that connects directly to a port in the bonnet. It will not allow me to start the 360 if it's connected and plugged in. If you're referring to a non-Ferrari battery tender, I've started a couple of my other cars while connected and haven't noticed any problems. I do try to make it a point to disconnect the non-Ferrari battery tender before starting my cars.

12. rjkennedy

rjkennedy Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    Mine was less than a year old and battery was a goner. Replaced a couple months ago with an Interstate which has given me no problems and I stretch the use of the tender more since I've had it. Only problem was Ferrari didn't cover the battery because I put too few of miles on the car. (Yes, too few!) Received the car new last August and as of a couple months ago had 600 miles. Apparently I needed to average 120 miles per month and it would have been covered. Is that insane? Never heard of needing minimum miles to cover something like that when it was plugged in to their battery tender and less than a year old.

13. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    RJKennedy,

I would recite to Ferrari: "she was only a farmer's daughter but all the horse manure"!!!

You were short changed!

14. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It was the battery after all. The service manager said it is not unusual for a battery to go out after this much time (2.5 years) especially if the car is not driven often (4,000 miles). Coincidentally, my SL 55 which has a "slave" battery in front and a "main" battery in back had the same problem in about the same amount of time. According to the MB Service people this is par for the course. The only good news is I was surprised to only pay around $220 for the Ferrari battery including installation (expected more). Best

15. gages

gages Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve G