Help - 84 308 QV Electrical Issue | FerrariChat

Help - 84 308 QV Electrical Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by PCosta, Aug 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PCosta

PCosta Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    #1 PCosta, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hmmmm.......you are going to need a StakON catalog, and some heat shrink insulation tubing....

What are we looking at, Circuit Board repair gurus.....??????

Other than the need for a thermographic scan.....

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
    I don't think that anything specific has been posted here before, but it shouldn't be a difficult repair -- that white block is just a metal 4-way connector to interconnect some large +12V power lines. Just (disconnect the battery) cut out the corroded pieces of wire, reattach the female end terminals (you might have to relengthen the wire by splicing, and you might consider soldering the terminal to the wire in addition to just mechanical crimping), and make sure that the female end terminals have a tight, clean grip on the male tabs of the interconnection piece. The burning shows that you had a small resistance between the female connector and male tab, or between the female connector and the wire, that generated a lot of I^2*R heating because the current (I) is very large.

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Simple enough then, modern stereo terminal blocks are higher power capacity then any circuit we have in a 308!!!!

5. t3thomas

t3thomas Formula Junior

May 9, 2008
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    GThomas
    Mine did almost the exact same thing, but I caught it before it charred anything. The resistance seemed to be brought on by the corrosion at the terminal (see the turquoise powdery substance in the split of the wire insulation). It looked like the same type of corrosion which sometime forms at the positive battery terminal connection? I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing is happening to a lot of similar aged 3x8's and it doesn't reveal itself until it's too late.

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Any termination like that induces resistance and heat........put a better terminal block in there if that's all it is......

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  8. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #8 finnerty, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
    A nice thing about the older Ferraris is that they used very common, off-the-shelf AMP & Mate-N-Lok connectors / housings throughout the car, so they are cheap and readily available for replacement. I've found exact replacement connectors for nearly every placement on 308's ---- Although, I have not yet had to replace that particular connector.

Give "DigiKey" a try for a replacement connector / housing.

http://www.digikey.com/

If you only want to replace the terminals, and not the plastic housing, "RadioShack" has them --- as may your local hardware store.