Cleaning up my PC? | FerrariChat

Cleaning up my PC?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by TexasF355F1, Aug 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I am planning on doing a disk cleanup, running my spy ware (multiple versions), deleting Temporary files.

Is this the best way to go in terms of simplicity to 'clean up' my computer?

When running my spyware is it better to run it in Safe Mode? I think I remember this being recommended. If this is the case, when going into Safe Mode should I enter through the 'non-network' or 'with network' connection? Of course the programs will fully up-to-date.

Should disk clean up be run in normal operating mode or would Safe Mode be a better way to run?

Any help/recommendation is appreciated.

2. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
  3. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
  4. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    If the system is badly infected it needs to be cleaned while disconnected from the internet and some of it may have to be done in safe mode. Then again if it is really badly infected you can't clean if from inside a running copy of Windows anyway - you would need to either run a live Linux disk or slave the hard drive to another machine to clean it.
    Also, some spyware will block the download or running of a lot of popular cleanup and removal tools by placing entries in the registry that stop them from operating. You can sometimes get around that by renaming them.

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thanks. System isn't infected, I just want to clean it up a bit for now. I do plan on doing a reformat in the future, I just have to dig through the closet and find my disk. Although I think it's at my parents.

James and Steve, thanks for you suggestion. I'll check out the programs you recommended and read about them a little bit. I appreciate it.

6. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    IB4Macfanboys

7. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Just get a Mac and join the Windows refugees ;)