Need some help/opinions with this TR for sale that I looked at. | FerrariChat

Need some help/opinions with this TR for sale that I looked at.

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by RED TESTAROSSA, Aug 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RED TESTAROSSA

RED TESTAROSSA Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2009
    So. Calif.
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Recently I had a chance to go and look at this TR I first saw on E-bay. Sorry, not much of a computer person, dont know how to post a link to the site here, but its on E-bay now and for the next several days. I wont post a picture due to copyright infringement, etc. Its a 92 and reasonably priced. It appears to be in excellent condition. Here are the concerns I have. Its a 92 but appears to have the taillight assemblies and the engine cover of a 512M. Are these parts easily interchangable between a 92 and a 95? Next, when the passenger door is opened the seat belt latch automatically runs in the channel clearing way for entry. When the drivers door is opened no seat belt movement occurs? Next, the drivers door squeaks/groans slightly when opened like it needs lubrication and the bottom of the door appears to be wearing a small abrasion on the bottom of the door jamb in front of the VIN plate. While were on that subject does the stamped in numbers on the VIN plate look normal to you? Next, very few service receipts, Carfax shows several title changes, the last one as a leased car. The maintenance book in the car is stamped that service was completed 4000 miles ago and it is hand written in that cambelts were done, again the salesman could not find a written receipt for this service. I realize it is a pain not being able to click onto the site again I apologize. If you have time I would appreciate any advice/opinions on this car, thanks! It is currently the only red 92TR on E-bay from Orange County, California.

2. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I think your major concern should be the cam belt service.. No receipt it should be assumed that it needs to be done. Thats approx. 7-10 grand. I would say deduct 10 grand to be safe. Price should reflect that. Seat belts.. not an issue.. call your local Ferrari dealer and give the service dept. the vin number. There is a safety recall on the retractable mouse belts and ecu's. If it has not been performed than they will replace belts for free. Not even labor charges. Make sure they do not remove the lap belts.. That is not part of the recall.. As far as the lights and rear panel being the likes of a 512M... That would make me wonder.. Do they have the old parts that they removed.. If not maybe this car was hit at the rear area and they decided to put on the 512M parts.. It may or may not be a possibility. I would check the rear area for refinishing and any evidence of body repairs. Check the clutch and the fuse block. If the car is a 1992 then it is a 512TR with a single disc set up. I would figure 3 grand for that (a tad on the high side but be safe) Make sure the white connections are not melting or burnt (China Syndrome). I also have some scuffing and scraping on the lower door area and at the quarter vin plate area. I think the majority of them do. I would lubricate the door and see if the noise goes away.. better yet have the existing owner do it. If it still makes noise then maybe the hinge pins are shot.. and that is a real real pain in the ass to change. Many F-Chat guys tried replacing door hinge pins and they have a hell of a time punching out the old hinge pin.. I mean a really hard time.. Hope this info helps.. .

R

3. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Here's the direct link to the car....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-Ferrari-512-TR-Pristine-Serviced-Luggage_W0QQitemZ180394610135QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item2a005b4dd7&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

I agree with Mr. Chairman....the cam belt service is the biggest issue to worry about. Squeeky doors not such a bid deal if the doors line up with the rest of the body panels, this should be fixable. The "wear spot" issue on the door sill area could be caused by a loose screw for the courtesy light on the bottom of the door, or it could be something else...just have to look. You could call Symbolic Motors and ask for the service records, and see what they did to the car. The seat belt issue was supposed to be fixed under a factory service campaign, a Ferrari dealer should be able to run the VIN of the car and determine if this car was fixed or not. I will say that in the pictures the car sure looks good. To replace the F512M tail lights with the correct ones will be a bolt on deal as far as I remember, but finding the parts may be a challenge. I also like the window in the engine bonnet - nicely done.

I seem to recall a fellow fchatter who made the F512M tail light modification to his 512TR.....it was several years ago....this could be that car. I'll do a search and if something turns up I'll post it.

4. RED TESTAROSSA

Jul 8, 2009
    So. Calif.
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Mr. Chairman and JIMXYZ. Thank you very much for you help!

5. RED TESTAROSSA

Jul 8, 2009
    So. Calif.
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Car Guy Thanks for your help. Please let me know if you come across any info on previous owner. I do plan to call symbolc, thanks.