No more Bridgestones' for the 360 | FerrariChat

No more Bridgestones' for the 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by F456 V12, Aug 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Tirerack now offers

Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 - $554 for a set of four

Pirelli PZero System - $1,304 for a set of four

General Exclaim UHP - $540 for a set of four

Kumho Ecsta ASX - $ 546 for a set of four

Never been a big fan of Pirelli - over priced and wear very fast...but a proven tire and company.
    Generals are what you use when you turn in a lease car.

No clue about the other two supplier...comments please - OR - do I go with a 225/45/18 upsized tire and roll the fenders (potentially)

MB

2. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I put the Pirelli's on mine 2 months ago. Anyone need essentially new Pilot Sports for the rear tires, I have THREE! (don't ask ;) )

3. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    whats the width, I am going to need some before next summer but I think mine are 335's

4. Uomo360F1

Uomo360F1 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2007

5. marcmc8867

marcmc8867 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    Just curious...is this a big loss? How have people liked the Bridgestones?

6. Fred32097

Fred32097 Karting

Apr 6, 2005
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Marc, what tires would you replace your factory tires with? I'm thinking of putting 20 in. Challenge wheels on the 599 and would have to select a tire brand. I've heard Michelin. Give me your advice. Others are welcome to share their experience and opinions too.

7. marcmc8867

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    Hi Fred, thanks so much for joining us Friday! It was a pleasure to have you.

I think the Challenge wheel idea is a great one. They look fantastic...and I know Woody made the same change.

I'd have to do a little research to see what tires are available in those fitments but generally speaking if Michelin makes a Pilot Sport 2 in those sizes you can't go wrong.

In my case, the 360 has very limited and ever shrinking options unfortunately. I have loved the OE Michelin PS (predecessor to the aforementioned PS2) for 38k miles but those oddball size have been discontinued. I'm 250 miles into these OE Pirellis and so far they seem loud. Unfortunately the latest and greatest series from Michelin, Pirelli, etc don't make 360 fitments. Fortunately for you, I think they may for the 599.

I'll look into it and post a follow-up.

Thanks again re: Friday!
    Marc

8. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    I have Hankook on my other car and I do like them. Certainily priced right! At Pep Boys.....buy 3 get 1 free!

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

10. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

11. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

215/45/18 on the front.
    275/40/18 on the back

Search by size, instead of by vehicle on tire rack, you'll get better results.

215/45/18 and 275/40/18

Bridgestone Potenza RE 050 and SO2

Pirelli Pzero system

Looks like they might work.

12. marcmc8867

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    Fred, was just looking online at your options...

I presume you're talking about 20" front and rear rather than the 19f/20r setup. The tires should be 245/35/20 front and 305/35/20 rear.

Tirerack.com only shows 2 options in that size combo, the Bridgestone RE050A RFT (runflat) and the newest version of the Pirelli Pzero. However when I search for the Michelin PS2 I mentioned, it shows fronts and rears in those sizes. Can't explain why they wouldn't show up in a specific size search...

Anyway, reviews for the Bridgestone RFT don't look very good plus you'd have to decide if you want runflats or not. Presuming that you don't, that leaves the PS2 and the new Pzero. I certainly wish I had those 2 to choose from for my 360!

From tirerack, the Pirelli's would probably run 1675 to your door while the Michelin PS2s would run 1500 to your door. Both are the latest and greatest from the top manufacturers so I'd say you can't go wrong with either.

13. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR

I've got Bridgestone S02's on 360 and they are excellent. (Not sure the sidewall is as firm as a Michelin might be, but, I feel
    safe with the car in the corners and there is some "feedback" from them if you were to reach the limits).

Biggest thing I've found (and try not to make the mistake again) is going with a lesser cost tire on a higher performance
    vehicle. First thing you'd notice is the handling response seems to be somewhat delayed, the tire does not adhear to the
    road as well......... which in-all-honesty, especially the feedback/response lacking just makes the car undesirable to drive.

14. Fred32097

Fred32097 Karting

Apr 6, 2005
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thanks for the information guys. Big help. If I find the wheels is there any reason a local tire dealer or my own shop can't put them on? I'm thinking about the possibiltiy of the tire pressure sensors not working properly or cosmetic damage to the wheels by a tech not accustomed to the car/wheels.

15. marcmc8867

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    Fred, I wouldn't hesitate to have your guys do it if you have equipment to handle 20s. Of course the rears are indeed wider than what your guys would typically handle and therefore maybe a bit more challenging. I suppose it may depend on how good your guy is and whether or not he's cautious enough to tell you to take it down the road before he messes it up...

By the way, I was in Cary yesterday and pulled up behind an FJ Cruiser with your plate bracket and a plate that read "DINO". Couldn't help but wonder if there was another Ferrari connection :)

16. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#16 dm_n_stuff, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017