'85 308 QV Turn Signal Issue | FerrariChat

'85 308 QV Turn Signal Issue

Discussion in '308/328' started by Joe_CT, Aug 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hey gang,

I was out yesterday enjoying a long drive on a beautiful (but unusual) New England August day (78 degrees and low humidity). I noticed that I got a couple of dirty looks and a couple of "use a blinker A**hole" which of course I thought I was. I noticed the next turn when I looked down at the dash after depressing the turn signal, nothing was happening. I pulled over and check to confirm they were not working. I then checked the brake lights which were working. I pulled the fuse and replaced it, but that was not the issue. I then continued home and about a block from home it started working again. I am assuming I have a loose connection or a short somewhere (or perhaps a bad relay). Any idea where to begin looking? Is there a relay for the turn signals that could be going bad? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Joe

2. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Joe,

Pretty common problem...

The next time this happens, see if you 4-way flashers work; likely they won't. However, if you turn your 4-way switch on and off a few time, the oxidation on the switch will be removed...and both the 4-ways and turn signal will work. You could a) replace the switch b) Ignore the switch and just turn the 4-ways on and off a few time in the beginning of the driving season or c) spray a little electrical contact cleaner in the switch. (Current for the turn signals flows through the 4-way switch...)

Or...look under the far left side of the dash of the dash and see if the 4/6 pin connector from the steering column switch has worked its way loose. Pretty common, as well.

Best,
    David

3. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    David,

Thanks. Been driving the car this week and the problem has not returned. I printed this post out and put it in the car for the next time the gremlin returns.

Thanks again, Joe

4. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Joe,

You're welcome. For what it's worth, I have had this idential problem, every year, with my BB...when I first take her out in the Spring, after the long Winter hibernation. The 308 and BB have identical wiring, with respect to the turn signals/4-way circuit.

Best,
    David

5. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    I sometimes flicker the hazard switch afew times works every time after that

6. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    i just the same problem a couple months ago. thanks for the advice.

7. MREUS

MREUS Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Thanks! This worked for my 1985 308. Turn signals stopped working after the car sat for a long time. Turned on the hazards and then the signals worked again!